Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you observed about yourself during your time on this board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you observed about yourself during your time on this board?

Metalman asked me to stop what I was doing and start this thread in a new location. I had tried to hijack a gold thread. This may not be the right spot. I should have put this on HIS page. Anyway it began with this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mega
    It looking VERY Bad, i know i said i wanted this, but HELL not this!
    Gold fell today, i hate to admit it but now i see WHAT might happen i want it to fall!
    Mike

You seemed fairly gung-ho about the doom of Britain. What has you so upset now?

It's very interesting. These feeling Mega is alluding to. Allow us, if we are sincere with ourselves to get a better understanding of ourselves. It would no doubt make a good thread. "What have you observed about yourself during your time on this board?" It is always better to just observe and Not to make any judgement.

There is a quality to the feelings we are sharing about our expectations of the future. How it makes us feel to be right at the expense of global prosperity. Maybe that isn't phrased right. But (Speaking for myself) if in the moment you observe yourself, it does have a certain sad quality that Mega spoke of.

Re: What have you observed about yourself during your time on this board?

>> How it makes us feel to be right at the expense of global prosperity

IMHO, you're counting your eggs before they're hatched.

IM very HO, you don't know yet that you will be right in the long run. You could get wiped out by some freak event or other. The world is not always rational.

And as right as EJ has been in the past, we don't know yet that he will be right in the long run.

Today, a priori, he makes the most sense of what I've been exposed to. Whether the same will be said 5 years from now, post-mortem ... SHRUG

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      >> How it makes us feel to be right at the expense of global prosperity

IMHO, you're counting your eggs before they're hatched.

IM very HO, you don't know yet that you will be right in the long run. You could get wiped out by some freak event or other. The world is not always rational.

And as right as EJ has been in the past, we don't know yet that he will be right in the long run.

Today, a priori, he makes the most sense of what I've been exposed to. Whether the same will be said 5 years from now, post-mortem ... SHRUG

I said that was a bad choice of words. This thread is:

Comment

I thought that part of it was not part of the "chose bad words".

Anyway, I did answer, just very tangentially.

In some contexts I doubt myself and my analyses and understandings lot more and am much more cynical and have more empathy for (some) others.

some of the education here helped move me along, but that's not mostly about iTulip, just happened at the same time

Originally posted by cjppjc View Post
        I said that was a bad choice of words. This thread is:

Comment

How it makes us feel to be right at the expense of global prosperity

Those were the bad choice of words. For myself I observed the strong impression of sadness when I read what Mega had written. It was so pleading. And I identified with his words and even his tone. It was a very stong reaction in me.

Comment

Anger, despair, frustration, fear, hopelessness, paranoia. An avenue to vent, an avenue to connect, a tether to one's own sanity. When all we have are family and friends, why do they seem distant and frayed. Is it me? Is it them? Who really knows?

Comment

Originally posted by kartius919 View Post
              Anger, despair, frustration, fear, hopelessness, paranoia. An avenue to vent, an avenue to connect, a tether to one's own sanity. When all we have are family and friends, why do they seem distant and frayed. Is it me? Is it them? Who really knows?

I agree with you regarding the anger, frustration, fear, etc. I also observe those feelings. As regards to family and friends are they really distant. Aren't they always there, but maybe I don't make myself available to them? And if I did wouldn't it be like there was never any distance between us?
              Last edited by cjppjc; February 24, 2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

In real life, I've observed the social tradeoff over the years in being weary on the economy for the past. Not knowing how to tell people the stuff I spend time thinking about without offending them, wanting to yell at everyone to get out of the stock market, watching friends buy homes when they don't need em, etc. It easily turns you into a cynic, which has it's own share of problems.

Maybe I should start an itulip meetup group in town to feel less lonely :P.

Comment

Originally posted by plinko View Post
                  In real life, I've observed the social tradeoff over the years in being weary on the economy for the past. Not knowing how to tell people the stuff I spend time thinking about, wanting to yell at everyone to get out of the stock market, watching friends buy homes when they don't need em, etc. It easily turns you into a cynic, which has it's own share of problems.

Maybe I should start an itulip meetup group in town to feel less lonely :P.
                  I never have that problem I always tell people to buy gold. I've harmed many a portfolio with my wise advise.

But:

Comment

This board is the only one that explained things rationally to me, a neophyte, when I went looking for answers. I am grateful to EJ and the board members here as I was able to save what I could by rushing out of the market. But still I am seriously worried. Yes I'd say it was lonely. No one wants to hear one's thoughts on the economy if they happen to be negative. People out there haven't even begun to recognize the problem let alone start discussing solutions. It's all negative you see. It's the wonderful cult of positive thinking where I think the real bubble bursting need happen. I'm reminded of "the Life of Brian" with Christ hanging on the cross. "Always look on the bright side of life." I don't know if that's what you meant by this thread but that's where I'm at... vascillating between horror and absurdity.

Comment

While I would like to say I have come to an epiphany about myself while I have been on here, I have not. I am the same guy that I was when I came on here: a concerned youngster that wants to invest in his future by hedging for one of the greatest disasters to ever face mankind. While I feel good about the knowledge I have acquired and how it has enabled me to prepare, I still feel ill-prepared.

Comment

I find myself listening to EJ, and many others here, more and more, and less to the shrill of outside influence. I post less and read more, and more carefully. When I post it is usually in the form of a question or an attempt at comic relief. I let the big dogs have their space. They deserve it. I have also become much more patient with the lability of my investments. I am relatively young, but have now been on the train long enough to make out a faint pattern through the fog of daily, weekly and monthly fluctuations. Investing early has made my decisions much clearer and the longer out I go things are making more sense, even in "the year of the jump ball." I think the most important piece of investment knowledge I have learned is patience; and secondly, the importance of a good insurance policy not made of paper; lastly, that I am not insane, the rest of the world is.

Comment

Originally posted by olivegreen View Post
                          This board is the only one that explained things rationally to me, a neophyte, when I went looking for answers. I am grateful to EJ and the board members here as I was able to save what I could by rushing out of the market. But still I am seriously worried. Yes I'd say it was lonely. No one wants to hear one's thoughts on the economy if they happen to be negative. People out there haven't even begun to recognize the problem let alone start discussing solutions. It's all negative you see. It's the wonderful cult of positive thinking where I think the real bubble bursting need happen. I'm reminded of "the Life of Brian" with Christ hanging on the cross. "Always look on the bright side of life." I don't know if that's what you meant by this thread but that's where I'm at... vascillating between horror and absurdity.

I meant:
                          What have you observed about yourself during your time on this board? If what you observe is horror and absurdity. Then that is what you've observed about yourself. I think so much of the negative is explored here. earlier frustration was also mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
                            While I would like to say I have come to an epiphany about myself while I have been on here, I have not. I am the same guy that I was when I came on here: a concerned youngster that wants to invest in his future by hedging for one of the greatest disasters to ever face mankind. While I feel good about the knowledge I have acquired and how it has enabled me to prepare, I still feel ill-prepared.
                            Thank you for responding BadJuju. It was your reponse to Mega that got me going. We spoke before about not feeling prepared. I felt a feeling of inadequacy when spoke of this.

What sort of epiphany did you have about yourself. And how did you observe that you were the "same guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              I find myself listening to EJ, and many others here, more and more, and less to the shrill of outside influence. I post less and read more, and more carefully. When I post it is usually in the form of a question or an attempt at comic relief. I let the big dogs have their space. They deserve it. I have also become much more patient with the lability of my investments. I am relatively young, but have now been on the train long enough to make out a faint pattern through the fog of daily, weekly and monthly fluctuations. Investing early has made my decisions much clearer and the longer out I go things are making more sense, even in "the year of the jump ball." I think the most important piece of investment knowledge I have learned is patience; and secondly, the importance of a good insurance policy not made of paper; lastly, that I am not insane, the rest of the world is.
                              Yes I agree with what you said about the big dogs having their space. They do deserve it. I wait breathlessly for EJ or Fred to post. But:

Comment

Working...
                              X