Harry Truman--An honest politician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Truman--An honest politician?

I received the following in an email this morning, and I have no idea whether or not it is true. Personally, I'd like to think it is true because if it is, it bears out my impression over my lifetime that politics has grown and grown into just a bigger, taller, stinkier pile of shit.
    Good Old Harry!
    Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence, Missouri

When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension, reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, Congress granted him an allowance and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to by themselves. No Secret Service followed them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."

As President, he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."

Last edited by Jim Nickerson; December 22, 2008, 12:19 PM.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Re: Harry Truman--An honest politician?

"My favorite chapter in this book is chapter 8, which is entitled "A TRUE MAN". What makes this chapter so powerful and emotionally rewarding, is the fact that in a book that is dedicated to corruption, murder, mayhem, bribes and prison, this one chapter is devoted to a Missouri politician who rose above this bottomless chaos, and despite some unsubstantiated accusations rose to the highest office in the land. That Missouri politician was Vice-President and subsequently President, Harry S. Truman.

This reverent chapter starts off with the "mob-definition" of a "STAND-UP GUY": "A stand-up guy is a manly acting fella who sticks by his word, doesn't forget where he came from or who his friends are, pays his debts, and doesn't squeal." Truman got into politics when his haberdashery business went under and the infamous Tom Pendergast political "MACHINE" that bullied and controlled almost the entire state of Missouri asked Harry if he wanted to run for Judge of the Eastern District of Jackson County Court. "Needing a job, Harry accepted the offer and was elected in 1922."

Pendergast continued to back Truman all the way to the U.S. Senate in 1934. Other Senator's whispered behind Harry's back that he was nothing but an errand boy for "Boss Tom". The Senator's would find out that their initial impressions were wrong. Harry proved that he was incorruptible. But Harry never made any bones about his association with Pendergast because he had nothing to hide. Truman was quoted many times as saying:

"Pendergast never asked me to do a dishonest deed, and that's God's truth. I did my job in the way I thought it ought to be done. And he never interfered, not even when he was in deep trouble himself." When Tom Pendergast was indicted in 1939 Truman showed he didn't forget where he came from or who his friends were. His official statement was: "I am sorry this happened, but I am not going to desert a ship that is in distress."

Perhaps no other deed so exemplifies Truman's strength of character, than when Tom Pendergast, now a thoroughly disgraced "Boss" died in 1945. Truman was now busy with the demands of being the Vice President Of The United States. "A political football even in death, Pendergast was persona non grata to politicians everywhere. For the Vice President of the United States to attend the funeral of a convicted felon would be unthinkable. Truman's associates begged him not to even consider it."

"Despite every advice to the contrary and in the face of howling criticism, Truman hitchhiked a ride on an Army bomber and flew back to Kansas City to pay his respects to his old friend.

"NOW THAT'S A STAND-UP GUY!"

from the Amazon review of:
    The Mafia and the Machine: The Story of the Kansas City Mob

Sounds more like a good captain to me......;)

Comment

Great post!

Politicians today are focused mainly lining their pockets and building their Power base.

I had the misfortune to watch the Arnold interview on '60 Minutes'. The Bulk of the interview focused on Global warming and spent a small amount of time on the California fiscal Crisis.

The Interviewer didn't even ask about the Idiotic California bond offering that Arnold championed to cover operating expenses. Arnold (like all Politicians) contributed to the California mess and his sole focus is on his next job. Folks are amazed by the Bribery scandal out of President Elect Obama's home state.

Are the citizens of the USA really this dumb that they are surprised that Politiicians are in it for the Money - as long as they have theirs - they could care what happens to society.

If only we could bring ole Harry back from the Dead!

Comment

Mostly true it would appear ...

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/truman/truman.asp

Comment

It Ain't about the politicians, it's about the system that elects them. You can't even begin to think about running for office without 1st thinking about the enormous amount of money it takes to run a campaign. To get that money you either have to be rich from the start, or know a lot of rich people and know the favors they will ask if you win.

Change the system, change the world. I doubt the FIRE economy could have got started with politicians who didn't have to worry about raising money for the next campaign. In fact, many of the problems we have today, can be attributed to politicians who owed campaign contributors.

Public financing of all campaigns could easily be paid for with just the money going to special interest corporate farms in the Ag budget. The hundreds of billions we are now flushing to wealthy contributors would pay for public financed campaigns for a hundred years. Campaign finance reform (public financing) is even more important than trying to get us out of the depression we are now entering. We'll never make the right decisions when the politicians are beholding to wealthy contributors. If we ever needed a constitutional amendment, this is it!

Comment

My guess is this didn't apply so much to Harry.

One, you needed a lot less moolah to run for office in the late 40s. Were there even official lobbyists then :confused: I think that would have been a bribery scandal :rolleyes:

Second, he was the VP to one of the most powerful presidents we've ever had. I would assume that FDR both picked someone who was incapable of putting him in the shade, and cut a deal with interests that were important to him, not Truman.

Comment

Jim,

Yes, mostly true about Harry. The interesting thing to note, however, is when he was in office he was reviled by the public and had some of the lowest approval ratings of any sitting president. People thought him unfit for office; no college and an accidental president plucked out of obscurity.

Time heals all wounds and people tend to look more favorably on their leaders as they shrink in the rear view mirror. Perhaps, they are a reminder of what people perceive to be happier, less complicated times.

In Beijing, Chinese stand in Disney Park like lines to see the mortal remains of Mao, a mass murderer. When asked why, the Chinese citizen of today responds, he was the man that led us out of the feudal era.

Now, I don't expect Americans to ever think fondly of LBJ or Nixon but some presidents are able to transcend their negatives and be seen in a much different light generations later. Lincoln is a great example. While in office, he was vilified to the extreme, it wasn't until later people realized what it was he had actually done.
              Greg

Comment

Well, he did lie

The U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945. On Aug. 9, it dropped another on Nagasaki and President Harry Truman delivered a radio address in which he falsely claimed: "The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, insofar as possible, the killing of civilians."

http://www.accuracy.org/newsrelease.php?articleId=1767
                http://www.dannen.com/sounds/truman.au

But he is also probably correct when he really said this

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."

Comment

[QUOTE=D-Mack;67731]Well, he did lie

Not sure why he felt the need to sugar coat it since the US was busily firebombing cities throughout Germany and Japan killing hundreds of thousands of civilians.
                  Greg

Comment

If presidential administrations are assigned credit or blame for history, a losing proposition in the post-FDR world, then Harry was the man who set up the National Security State. It was the logical and inevitable route in which to govern a powerful empire- not a Republic. In junior high I was taught the three branches of government, all keeping the others in check and balanced. At the end was a footnote on the National Security Council.

Nuff said

Comment

thx for this thread. i cannot decide from this more or less if i like harry or not, but i know a few things i didn't before. i knew he was unapologetic about dropping the bomb... that he was a hick... bush-like. think about it... some day gw bush may be portrayed this way.

all said, i like harry nickerson more than i like jim truman.

Comment

I don't think we have to worry about G W Bush morphing into Harry Truman II at some future historical date (at particular conceit he subscribes to himself, I read about a year ago, when his popularity was hitting rock bottom)..

He's much more likely to be remembered as Herbert Hoover II.

Comment

Truman may have been honest, but he also was an integral part of the United States foreign and domestic economic policy after WW II.

The structures in place today which have been used to cement the US' place in the world are from his era, not Roosevelt:

IMF
                          World Bank
                          Council of Economic Advisors
                          Joint Economic Committee

Furthermore a lot of the work blamed on Keynesianism was actually carried out by Truman's presidency via the National Planning Association - the same organization that estimated full post war employment could be attained via encouragement of consumption:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...797438,00.html

Truman info obtained via:

http://books.google.com/books?id=40Z...ummary_s&cad=0

So while he himself may have been honest and incorruptible, it was his hands and his belief in full employment which sowed the seeds for what we live in today.

Comment

Working...
                          X