RFID card, pilot program at schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFID card, pilot program at schools

I called, so I know it's true, which IMHO makes it news, but I figured some might put it here...so here it is.

This was on another forum. I was compelled to follow up to check it's validity. This letter was sent to parents and they are doing a "pilot" of RFID cards in grade school, middle school and high school in the (Twin Creeks Area). They will be used to monitor attendance on the bus and in school. They are used at the library, and at the lunchroom as a way to pay.

Just got his happy horse #$@#% from the principal of my daughters middle school.

"A message from TWIN CREEKS MIDDLE

TWIN CREEKS MIDDLE
    Message sent - 12/1/2008

RFID
    This is Principal, Charlie Rooke from Twin creeks Middle School with an important message.

Twin Creeks has been selected for a pilot project of Radio Frequency Identification software. The purpose of the project is to determine how the new technology can be used to increase the safety and security of students on campus and while they are being transported to and from school. Your child will be issued a Smart Tag identification badge that will need to be worn on the bus and at school. A letter that contains detailed information about this project is being sent home with your child. If you do not receive the letter, please call 281-891-7850.

Thank you.
    Today I called the school at 281-891-7850 and talked to Mrs. Green, she then had me call the administration office at 281-891-6000, there I talked to the PR person who transferred me to the Super; Regina Curry.

Will these kids have an aversion to having an RFID card on them at all times as adults; after having carried one through, grade school, middle school and high school?

Call the school if it matters to you, or we can just all sit here and say...I saw that coming .

Re: RFID card, pilot program at schools

I feel just a little bit more secure knowing that my passport is all paper...Frankly, my problem with RFID is the lack of security.

I think your question should be, "will these kids have an aversion to having an ID card on them at all times as adults; after having carried one through, grade school, middle school and high school?"

And the answer is no. Shit, when I was in high school we had picture ID cards (early 90s, public).

Comment

Last edited by Nervous Drake; January 19, 2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

FWIW, a small school in California was in the news about three years ago for implementing RFID. Parents protested and the administration and board abandoned RFID.

Comment

I come from the era when we made our own IDs. It went like this:

Take the ID card out of a new wallet.
          Put the local university name at the top
          Glue in your picture you took in one of those booths
          Type in the info, with the all important Age: 18* (or 19 if you could pull it off)
          With carbon paper and something circular, put a faded stamp over the card.
          Laminate both sides.
          Beat the waitress to the punch.
          "You'd prefer a picture ID?"

Worked every time

*New York state legal drinking age was 18.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
            I come from the era when we made our own IDs. It went like this:

Take the ID card out of a new wallet.
            Put the local university name at the top
            Glue in your picture you took in one of those booths
            Type in the info, with the all important Age: 18* (or 19 if you could pull it off)
            With carbon paper and something circular, put a faded stamp over the card.
            Laminate both sides.
            Beat the waitress to the punch.
            "You'd prefer a picture ID?"

Worked every time

*New York state legal drinking age was 18.
            That type of totally fabricated stuff worked until the drinking age was raised to 21. Then laws were made requiring a driver's license or state-issued ID card. We used to take a pin and literally paint a new birth year onto our real licenses. It worked as long as you didn't have to take it out of the plastic wallet thingy. If that happened the person could scratch the paint off. Ah, the good old days....

RFIDs are extremely vulnerable to hacking, which hopefully will be their downfall as a store of sensitive personal info.

Comment

Working...
            X