One for the Lukester...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the Lukester...

Can you imagine Carroll Shelby, Leno and the Sierra Club on the same judging panel...

Volkswagen diesel car wins "Green Car of the Year"

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31pm EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A clean-burning diesel sedan, Volkswagen AG's Jetta TDI, won the "Green Car of the Year" award at the Los Angeles auto show on Thursday, the first time a diesel-powered car has taken the industry's top environmental honor.

"This signals that clean diesel has arrived," said Ron Cogan, editor of Green Car Journal, the trade magazine that awards the prize.

Diesel, a conventional combustion approach long favored by Europeans, has been making inroads into the U.S. market as a here-and-now option to make engines run more economically and pollute less.

The use of diesel for passenger cars had long been stalled in the United States because of unacceptably high tailpipe emissions, but advanced technology has allowed so-called clean diesel vehicles to filter out more pollutants and for the first time meet smog pollution laws in all states.

Diesel engines have also suffered an image problem in the U.S. market due to an association with the underpowered versions sold in the 1970s. The technology has been largely limited to large trucks in the United States, even though it is a perennial top seller among passenger cars in Europe.
    Volkswagen's U.S. chief, Stefan Jacoby, said diesels have emerged as an alternative to hybrids such as Toyota Motor Corp's popular Prius.

"It's a breakthrough in this country," Jacoby said. "I don't want to say it's better than other technologies, but it's a real alternative to hybrids. It brings fuel consumption down, it's environmentally friendly, and -- this is a difference with a Prius -- this is really fun to drive."

Volkswagen's five-passenger Jetta TDI, which boasts a fuel efficiency of 41 miles per gallon, starts at $21,990, compared with $17,340 for a traditional Jetta.
    The Jetta TDI beat out finalists including BMW's 335d diesel sport sedan, Ford Motor Co's Fusion Hybrid passenger sedan, General Motors Corp's crossover Saturn Vue 2 Mode Hybrid, and the smart fortwo mini car.

"This is the vehicle that stood out among all of the five finalists as the one that really exhibited the greatest environmental achievement," Cogan said. "You get 30 percent better fuel efficiency, on average, with a diesel, and a commensurate reduction in greenhouse gases."
    Diesel, however, costs almost $1 more per gallon than gasoline in some parts of the United States.

So far the Jetta TDI, which went on sale in August, has sold out, said Jacoby. "The Jetta TDI and Sportswagen don't see recession," he said.

Jacoby said diesels could represent up to 30 percent of sales for Volkswagen models like the Jetta, on which diesel is an option. That would mean a sales target of 30,000 to 35,000 Jetta TDI per year in the United States.

The panel of judges that awarded the "Green Car of the Year" prize included famed car designer Carroll Shelby, late-night talk show host Jay Leno and representatives from environmental groups the Sierra Club and the Natural Resources Defense Council, among others.

Re: One for the Lukester...

GRG55 -

The TDI is an AWESOME engine. The new 2.5 liter Jettas particularly are considerably powered up and upscaled sedans. Obviously the VW is a lower priced market vehicle than the BMW ut even from the mid 2000's economy car 1.9 liter TDI this is motor that is perfectly matched for the lat part of this decade $150 oil al over again in a year or two) these motors may be little putt putt's by American standards but they "punch over their weight", and other than a timing belt and glow plugs are practically maintenance free even after 150K miles. Heck they routinely run like a top right out past 300K miles. Add an absolutely bulletproof gearbox and transmission in the standard shift version, the kind of tight handling you only seem to find in German cars, and an small but surprisingly powerful engine and you've got an economy car that inspires a lot of loyalty.

The new 2.5 liter TDI is more up-market and the 2.5 liter turbodiesel on these delivers a very quick ride. VW mnay have a stigma as a car for the masses rather than a premium brand, but frankly these guys in the 2000's are building some of the best diesel vehicles on the road today. The turbodiesel rules! In a gasoline engine when you step on the gas half way through fifth gear the car shrugs and says "downshift me". In a turbodiesel you discover a whole new range of further acceleration. When I was living in Italy in the mid 1990's I drove an intercooled turbodiesel Mercedes Benz van for a while. I think it was a three liter engine (lots of horsepower for heavy cargo). Lord, this was one awesome engine for power and fuel economy. Drive a tall van with a 1500+ pound load and still accelerates like a sporty sedan. There is something about intercooled turbo diesel engines - once you've driven one everything else feels tinny or underpowered in comparison. The acceleration on these engines in 5th gear is awesome.
    Last edited by Contemptuous; November 22, 2008, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Great, cancer producing diesel fumes, what a tradeoff for being green. :rolleyes:

Comment

Gents,

One of the best cars I ever owned was a Mercedes diesel 300E. 30 MPG average with almost 40 on the highway. Acceleration never a problem, big trunk and could carry 4 adults in comfort. The car was an absolute delight to drive. Best part was that I owned it in the days when diesel was still cheaper than regular gas and with its' big tank I only had to fill up every three weeks and that was still with a lot of driving. Jump in the car in a rush to go somewhere far with just a 1/4 tank? No problem, you were still good for 200 miles.

Sad to say though, the overall MB experience was not a good one. Aside from the diesel engine itself, there were lots of maintenance problems and the dealership experience was highly unsatisfactory.

In my early days, I drove VW's and would have no problem driving one today but given my newfound bias for Japanese reliability, I think I would take a closer look at the Honda diesels.
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
          GRG55 -

The TDI is an AWESOME engine. The new 2.5 liter Jettas particularly are considerably powered up and upscaled sedans. Obviously the VW is a lower priced market vehicle than the BMW ut even from the mid 2000's economy car 1.9 liter TDI this is motor that is perfectly matched for the lat part of this decade $150 oil al over again in a year or two) these motors may be little putt putt's by American standards but they "punch over their weight", and other than a timing belt and glow plugs are practically maintenance free even after 150K miles. Heck they routinely run like a top right out past 300K miles. Add an absolutely bulletproof gearbox and transmission in the standard shift version, the kind of tight handling you only seem to find in German cars, and an small but surprisingly powerful engine and you've got an economy car that inspires a lot of loyalty.

The new 2.5 liter TDI is more up-market and the 2.5 liter turbodiesel on these delivers a very quick ride. VW mnay have a stigma as a car for the masses rather than a premium brand, but frankly these guys in the 2000's are building some of the best diesel vehicles on the road today. The turbodiesel rules! In a gasoline engine when you step on the gas half way through fifth gear the car shrugs and says "downshift me". In a turbodiesel you discover a whole new range of further acceleration. When I was living in Italy in the mid 1990's I drove an intercooled turbodiesel Mercedes Benz van for a while. I think it was a three liter engine (lots of horsepower for heavy cargo). Lord, this was one awesome engine for power and fuel economy. Drive a tall van with a 1500+ pound load and still accelerates like a sporty sedan. There is something about intercooled turbo diesel engines - once you've driven one everything else feels tinny or underpowered in comparison. The acceleration on these engines in 5th gear is awesome.
          Lukester: I hear you man! A while back I posted a "contrary strategy" piece on iTulip advocating that some folks should think about taking advantage of the dynamics in the vehicle market and consider buying, for very little money, the severely marked down used "gas guzzler" instead of the severely marked-up economy cars that had suddenly become all the rage. Drinking my own koolaid, in September I purchased a 2006 Ford 6-litre intercooled turbo-diesel 4x4 pick-up truck from a distressed seller for a price that is considerably less than a good used 2006 Toyota or Honda sedan would have cost me. I use it as a construction vehicle on the bunker project, and to tow my wife's horse trailer.

This is my second diesel [I had a 4 cyl diesel Toyota in the early eighties]. Here's what I like about it:
          1. I have very little capital invested in the vehicle, yet it's capable enough to do everything I need and more;
          2. Because the vehicle didn't cost me much, the insurance doesn't cost me much either...less than $50 Canadian per month. Because it's not a new vehicle and I don't have any car loan, I don't need to have any collision coverage on it.
          3. The high cost of filling the fuel tank is more than offset by what I didn't spend on purchase and insurance. It still gets me 19.5 mpg [Imperial] as I run it mostly on the rural highways around here.
          4. As with your MB van, this thing has stump-pulling torque at the bottom end, hauls the horse trailer up the Rocky Mtn hills around here without breaking a sweat, is simpler to maintain since there's no spark plugs/distributers/ignition modules, and it makes no pretensions to be anything other than what it is...a workhorse vehicle.
          5. I will probably keep this thing for between 10 and 20 years and it'll be much lower total-cost-per-vehicle-mile-driven [which is the only metric that counts in my book] than any of the stuff my friends and biz associates own, including one who bought a Toyota Prius at the height of the craziness earlier this year, at a premium and after waiting months for delivery.
          6. I am not suffering for creature comforts either; it's equipped with a 6 speaker CD stereo, air, cruise, electric seats, electric heated mirrors [love those in the Canadian winter], a blast furnace heater, and a slick 4x4 system with automatic hubs [switch modes from the cab] with manual override locks for the really bad stuff.
          I'm not suggesting what I did is the solution for everyone, and certainly my choice of used vehicle would be completely inappropriate for someone living in a denser urban area. When I used to work downtown in the 1980's/90's I deliberately bought and renovated a home close enough that I could walk to work every day.

BTW Lukester, the MB Smart cars up here all have diesel engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulpen View Post
            Great, cancer producing diesel fumes, what a tradeoff for being green. :rolleyes:
            here you go, the counter to so. ca. auto show
            http://greenwombat.blogs.fortune.cnn...t-go-electric/

http://www.betterplace.com/
            http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-...hange-stations smart and fast

Comment

Working...
            X