Knowing what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knowing what to do

Metalman, I've printed this out and will keep. Thank you for your wisdom.

OG

Comment

Yeah dogsjust finish licking their arse then people let them lick their face:mad:

Comment

Olivegreen -

I loathe investing and poring over "investment ideas". I find it dreadful. Turns the brightest people into dullards after 20 years of this sort of obsession. This decade and a good part of the next one, you'll have one predominant trend. Get any generic portfolio that is rigged for inflation and you'll profit - and you'll do so while many other people's savings provide fodder for the all consuming inflation maw, which must be fed. That is global, not just US/UK etc.

That's it. Any Tom Dick or Harry can construct a portfolio rigged for inflation. Right now is a great time to start because everyone is quaking in their shoes about global deflation. We'll get some deflation, and then we'll get much more inflation. Then we'll have another little bit of deflation. And then we'll have much more inflation again. And so forth, and every time will sound like the first time in the news and blizzards of urgent opinion.

Ignore the deflations, buy a really sensible portfolio rigged for inflation and just sit on it, like the supremely patient Horton the Elephant. And the best part is saved for last. You are thereby delivering yourself, from the constant, soul consuming and spirit-pinching angst of constantly rejiggering your positions to fend of these catastrophic end-of-time deflationary interludes. What you do with the rest of your life is far more valuable that what you do with your investments.

And it just so happens that this is the era's hidden great gift to us, among all the other miseries it doubtless will also deliver - the simplicity of the remedy will allow us to get on with the rest of our lives. The investments for the next 10-15 years are really simple. Rig for inflation, and forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post

...like the supremely patient Horton the Elephant.
          Lukester - you just made my Labor Day.

That one was better than a sip of SteamWhistle!

Last edited by LargoWinch; September 01, 2008, 07:29 PM. Reason: Damn...we are Monday not Sunday, and I've got to work tomorrow :(

Comment

PARABLE FOR THE SILVER AND GOLD BULLION OWNER - PATIENCE (IS GOLDEN) - HORTON HATCHES THE EGG:

Maysie: You've nothing to do, and I do need a rest. Would you like to sit on the egg in my nest?
            Narrator: The elephant laughed...
            Horton: Why of all silly things. I haven't feathers, and I haven't wings. Me on your egg? Why it doesn't make sense. Your egg is so small, ma'am, and I'm so immense.
            Maysie: I have to get up for a rest, otherwise I'll never get rid of these bags 'neath my eyes. [ Close-up of Maysie's eyes show traveling bags under her eyes ]
            Maysie: I'll hurry right back. Why, I'll never be missed.
            Horton: Very well, since you insist. I'll stay and be faithful, I mean what I say.
            Maysie: Toodle-oo.
            Narrator: ...said Maysie, and fluttered away.

MUCH LATER, AFTER MANY MISADVENTURES:

Narrator: Then out of the wagon and on to a ship, out over the ocean, and oooh, what a trip!
            Fish: [ Sees Horton the Elephant sitting on a tree in a ship ] Well, now I've seen everything! [ Shoots himself ]
            Narrator: Rolling and tossing and splashed with a spray, but Horton said day after day after day:
            Horton: I meant what I said and I said what I meant, but... ooomph! I am sea-sick one hundred percent!

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
              PARABLE FOR THE SILVER AND GOLD BULLION OWNER - PATIENCE (IS GOLDEN) - HORTON HATCHES THE EGG:

Maysie: You've nothing to do, and I do need a rest. Would you like to sit on the egg in my nest?
              Narrator: The elephant laughed...
              Horton: Why of all silly things. I haven't feathers, and I haven't wings. Me on your egg? Why it doesn't make sense. Your egg is so small, ma'am, and I'm so immense.
              Maysie: I have to get up for a rest, otherwise I'll never get rid of these bags 'neath my eyes. [ Close-up of Maysie's eyes show traveling bags under her eyes ]
              Maysie: I'll hurry right back. Why, I'll never be missed.
              Horton: Very well, since you insist. I'll stay and be faithful, I mean what I say.
              Maysie: Toodle-oo.
              Narrator: ...said Maysie, and fluttered away.

MUCH LATER, AFTER MANY MISADVENTURES:

Narrator: Then out of the wagon and on to a ship, out over the ocean, and oooh, what a trip!
              Fish: [ Sees Horton the Elephant sitting on a tree in a ship ] Well, now I've seen everything! [ Shoots himself ]
              Narrator: Rolling and tossing and splashed with a spray, but Horton said day after day after day:
              Horton: I meant what I said and I said what I meant, but... ooomph! I am sea-sick one hundred percent!
              that is some funny shit. we're all getting sea sick riding the precious metals ship through stormy market seas... made no less harsh by the gov't wave machine. it's like the chinese shooting chemicals into the clouds to stop the rain before the olympics... gov't just can't leave anything to chance. mixed metaphor... uh, sorry.

Comment

Working...
              X