• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goddammed videoS.

As an example see FRED's, whoever that is, post
    Originally posted by FRED View Post
    4 VIDEOS
    To me there is a tremendous amount of presumption of the part of anyone who takes his time to put up a video, but who does not take his time to offer a bit of information about what is contained in the video. When there is no accompanying information by the poster of the video, it takes other people's time to load and watch (some of it) to see if the video is worth a shit.

Personally, I know of no one on iTulip who posts video wherein their choice of substance is necessarily something on which I wish to use my time.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Re: goddammed videoS.

fwiw, i don't watch any posted videos - they take too much time for too little info return. i might consider watching one if it were introduced by a description of the content and a statement of why it's worth watching. otherwise, i don't have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
      fwiw, i don't watch any posted videos - they take too much time for too little info return. i might consider watching one if it were introduced by a description of the content and a statement of why it's worth watching. otherwise, i don't have the time.
      I think it is the younger farts who are all wrapped up in videos. It is yet to dawn on them that as time goes on in one's life, it goes faster and faster and there is less of it left.
      Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
        As an example see FRED's, whoever that is, post

To me there is a tremendous amount of presumption of the part of anyone who takes his time to put up a video, but who does not take his time to offer a bit of information about what is contained in the video. When there is no accompanying information by the poster of the video, it takes other people's time to load and watch (some of it) to see if the video is worth a shit.

Personally, I know of no one on iTulip who posts video wherein their choice of substance is necessarily something on which I wish to use my time.
        I remember a series of phone calls my grandmother made once. She was calling for my Dad, but nobody was home. Answering machines were fairly new, (we had probably had ours less than a year), and her mental abilities were just starting to be affected by aging.

The answering machine message was me saying we weren't home and to please leave a message. On her first try, she unintentionally left a message saying, "Andreuccio, it's me, grandmother. Is your father home?" Then silence.

Second try, a little bit agitated, "Andreuccio, it's me. Let me talk to your father ... shit."

Third try, by now extremely angry: "God dammit, Andreuccio, let me talk to your father ... shit!"

This was, as far as I remember, the first time I had ever heard my grandmother angry. It was definitely the first time I ever heard her swear.

It seemed pretty funny at the time, but it marked for me the beggining of a very sad period.

Jim, this post reminded me of that episode. I hope it's just a superficial similarity, in my head rather than representing anything substantial.

Comment

By the way, I think your critisism is valid. What triggered the memory, I think, was the use of the same two swear words coupled with the implied discomfort with or dislike of technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreuccio View Post
            I remember a series of phone calls my grandmother made once. She was calling for my Dad, but nobody was home. Answering machines were fairly new, (we had probably had ours less than a year), and her mental abilities were just starting to be affected by aging.

The answering machine message was me saying we weren't home and to please leave a message. On her first try, she unintentionally left a message saying, "Andreuccio, it's me, grandmother. Is your father home?" Then silence.

Second try, a little bit agitated, "Andreuccio, it's me. Let me talk to your father ... shit."

Third try, by now extremely angry: "God dammit, Andreuccio, let me talk to your father ... shit!"

This was, as far as I remember, the first time I had ever heard my grandmother angry. It was definitely the first time I ever heard her swear.

It seemed pretty funny at the time, but it marked for me the beggining of a very sad period.

Jim, this post reminded me of that episode. I hope it's just a superficial similarity, in my head rather than representing anything substantial.

Nice anecdote, Andreuccio. All good people cuss.

It is not that I am anti-technology altogether. As I wrote originally, it strikes me as highly presumptious of the part of anyone who posts a video not to spend some of his time to offer something about the content. It occurs to me that there must be a lot of people who have nothing better to do except seek entertainment and amusement while sitting on their asses by doing whatever people do on u-boob and ass-book. I do not discount the possibility that there can be something of value in a video, but it would seem courteous and appropriate for posters to label them.
            Last edited by Jim Nickerson; January 09, 2008, 01:54 PM.
            Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Same here as with Jim and JK. Content to time ratio is a lot more favorable with text (and still graphics). Suggestion to videophiles. Be very selective. And when you do post that over-the-top outstanding video, give enough comment to enable the reader to decide whether content appeals to his interests.
              Finster

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                I think it is the younger farts who are all wrapped up in videos. It is yet to dawn on them that as time goes on in one's life, it
                goes faster and faster and there is less of it left.
                Well, I imagine I'm one of the younger farts around here, but I rarely watch the videos either. I can read much faster than people talk.

This is why when I have posted Bill Moyers interviews, for example, I quote some of the transcript with key parts highlighted, for those who do not want to spend the time watching the whole thing.

(A side note: I digitally record the TV shows I'm interested in and watch them later on my computer. I always watch them in 1.5X speed. It makes the people talk and move faster so I can finish watching it faster.)

Comment

Nice anecdote, Andreuccio. All good people cuss.

It is not that I am anti-technology altogether. As I wrote originally, it strikes me as highly presumptious of the part of anyone who posts a video not to spend some of his time to offer something about the content. It occurs to me that there must be a lot of people who have nothing better to do except seek entertainment and amusement while sitting on their asses by doing whatever people do on u-boob and ass-book. I do not discount the possibility that there can be something of value in a video, but it would seem courteous and appropriate for posters to label them.
                  Point taken, so now I always comment on what we post.

On the issue of video vs podcast (audio) vs text, do you walk to work or take your lunch?

These are completely different media and are used to convey different ideas:

Text is for fast data transfer of complex ideas. Also, can be searched for on the web. Audio and video can only be searched via the text that is proximate to it on a web page.

Video is for expressing simple ideas with high emotional impact. Ideal for humor. (See the New Coinage video for example.)

Audio is for expressing simple ideas with the emotional nuance of sound and speech. Ideal for interviews.
                  Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
                    Same here as with Jim and JK. Content to time ratio is a lot more favorable with text (and still graphics). Suggestion to videophiles. Be very selective. And when you do post that over-the-top outstanding video, give enough comment to enable the reader to decide whether content appeals to his interests.
                    I use the feedback from the rest of the community to deal with Jim's very valid issue. I too don't have the time (or the connection speed thanks to the usual Arab monopoly national ISP/tcom outfit) to watch all these things. However, I have noticed that the really good ones, the ones that may be worth watching, always seem to get some good reviews from other iTulipers even if the original posting had no commentary...

Comment

I agree that some description should accompany posted videos . . . .

I skip many of the videos, but I've also watched several and found them very valuable. So I encourage those who post them to continue posting . . . .
                      raja
                      Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Working...
                      X