No announcement yet.

Pay to Work? ( Republicans Gone Crazy )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pay to Work? ( Republicans Gone Crazy )

My response to the Aesoponline survey was about the same as yours. Ridiculous.

1. Fact is, you can do similar things to what they propose, right now, without paying them a cent. Download one of the Macro Recorders; log into Aesop and get to the (repeated) search for assignment button. Use the Macro to record a click on that button; then set it to re-run that action at regular intervals. You'll have to keep your eye on the screen from time to time, unless you can figure out how to get an audible signal whenever the screen changes. (I've been working on that part.)

For myself, I run Linux, and I wrote a C program to periodically click my mouse electronically by means of a line that I hot wired from the parallel port to the mouse itself. I use it all the time, and it gives me a good edge, though I need the audio to tell me to check the screen.

2. I think the reason that the pay is better in L.A. is that UTLA actually represents substitutes in that district. El Monte City pays us $115 a day, but the local (EMETA) doesn't seem to have much interest in representing us. Doesn't make sense to me, since some (I don't know how many) subs are (like me) retired from the district, or otherwise former members of the local. And if there ever is a job action, both the union and the individual subs may need the protection of union membership from pressure to cross picket lines.

I blame this situation on a lack of vision on the part of the union, not on the Republicans.

3. I see big time trouble coming up with the state's budet deficit. I agree with the legislative analyst that the governor's proposed across-the-board cuts are not the way to go. What is needed is targeted cuts, and one of the targets should be commercial web-applications for which local districts are paying an arm and a leg. Aesop is only one of these (check out Accelerated Reader for another good example).

These are legitimate programs which fill a need, but they are also programs that could readily by provided by the State Department of Education's technology people, who seem to give us nothing but hype (and more surveys). Local districts are paying an enormous amount on these programs. (Look up Accelerated Reader's parent corporation on the NYSE and see their earnings. I think the corporate name is something like Renaissance Learning.) Our respective state departments of education (or better yet the Feds) should provide these services to local districts at no cost.
    Last edited by juanslayton; January 20, 2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juanslayton View Post
      My response to the Aesoponline survey was about the same as yours. Ridiculous.

1. Fact is, you can do similar things to what they propose, right now, without paying them a cent. Download one of the Macro Recorders; log into Aesop and get to the (repeated) search for assignment button. Use the Macro to record a click on that button; then set it to re-run that action at regular intervals. You'll have to keep your eye on the screen from time to time, unless you can figure out how to get an audible signal whenever the screen changes. (I've been working on that part.)

For myself, I run Linux, and I wrote a C program to periodically click my mouse electronically by means of a line that I hot wired from the parallel port to the mouse itself. I use it all the time, and it gives me a good edge, though I need the audio to tell me to check the screen.

2. I think the reason that the pay is better in L.A. is that UTLA actually represents substitutes in that district. El Monte City pays us $115 a day, but the local (EMETA) doesn't seem to have much interest in representing us. Doesn't make sense to me, since some (I don't know how many) subs are (like me) retired from the district, or otherwise former members of the local. And if there ever is a job action, both the union and the individual subs may need the protection of union membership from pressure to cross picket lines.

I blame this situation on a lack of vision on the part of the union, not on the Republicans.

3. I see big time trouble coming up with the state's budet deficit. I agree with the legislative analyst that the governor's proposed across-the-board cuts are not the way to go. What is needed is targeted cuts, and one of the targets should be commercial web-applications for which local districts are paying an arm and a leg. Aesop is only one of these (check out Accelerated Reader for another good example).

These are legitimate programs which fill a need, but they are also programs that could readily by provided by the State Department of Education's technology people, who seem to give us nothing but hype (and more surveys). Local districts are paying an enormous amount on these programs. (Look up Accelerated Reader's parent corporation on the NYSE and see their earnings. I think the corporate name is something like Advantage Learning.) Our respective state departments of education (or better yet the Feds) should provide these services to local districts at no cost.
      "lack of vision on the part of the union"

a union without vision??? shocked i am!

"the State Department of Education's technology people, who seem to give us nothing but hype (and more surveys)."

sloppy, lazy gummit IT employees? shocked again, i am.

unions suck. BUT...

1. teachers should be pain a LOT of money to attract talent
      2. gummit IT should pay more to attract talent

if there was more $$$ and competition for these jobs, this issues would get better, no?

Comment

Dr. Metalman

I think there may be confusion here about what Aesop does. It is not about getting hired, other than in a technical sense. It is about getting a daily assignment in a district which has already agreed to hire you. It's a personnel management service, not a headhunter site.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
          "lack of vision on the part of the union"

a union without vision??? shocked i am!

"the State Department of Education's technology people, who seem to give us nothing but hype (and more surveys)."

sloppy, lazy gummit IT employees? shocked again, i am.

unions suck. BUT...

1. teachers should be pain a LOT of money to attract talent
          2. gummit IT should pay more to attract talent

if there was more $$$ and competition for these jobs, this issues would get better, no?
          The magic word here: THE UNION.

And speaking of the union, the CTA just came out and OPPOSED the State increasing funding for California's community colleges.

Being out of the loop with the senior teachers and the CTA, I have no clue why the CTA chose to OPPOSE increasing funding to community colleges. But let me make an educated guess:

Could it be that the CTA opposed the initiative to fund community colleges because it might come from revenues that fund K-12?

And if my guess is correct, COULD IT BE THAT THE CTA OPPOSED FUNDING COMMUNITY COLLEGES because that would take money from PHONICS crappola and STANDARDIZED TIMED-TESTING crappola and ENGLISH-ONLY crappola, all these programmes now well intrenched in the K-12 curriculum?

Oh, I know that the CTA claims to oppose the No Child Left-Behind Act. But the CTA supported all of the basic-skilling garbage behind this Act in years past--- until this year.

Does the CTA now oppose English-only? Does the CTA now oppose standardized timed testing? Does the CTA now oppose the phonics crap, the penmanship crap, the white history, the worthless texts and skill-level readers assigned to kids; does the CTA now oppose remedial classes and the remedial education programmes, the endless consultants for phonics and testing, just to name a few issues?

I don't hear much from the CTA about much of anything, and I hear even less from the senior teachers in control of the system.

Oh yes, the CTA opposes "the one size fits all" approach to education in the No Child Left-behind Act.

Well, good, as far as that goes. But what about all of the other issues? And why has the CTA been so quiet for all of these years when the conservatives ran wild with the school curriculum?

Comment

Working...
          X