• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a GUN!

http://www.taipanpublishinggroup.com...=298798&r=Milo

Mike

Re: Buy a GUN!

... and ammo, and range time (or even a class) to make sure you know how to shoot it.

Shotguns make their point, even if you're not a marksman, but revolvers are my favorite. For defending the perimeter of your property, a rifle would even suffice.

I'm not expecting "Mad Max," but it's always good to be prepared.

BTW, in the state in which I live, it's easier to be elected governor than it is to get a carry permit.

Comment

I don't have one but I know a man who has. Lots of them actually and Zombie Land kits too, just 3 short miles away for when TSHTF. And he's a military trained sniper too.

Comment

Buy a gun
        Check. I actually bought some as potential barter goods. Along with ammo of course.

But when you really think about it, better advice might be, "MOVE!" Get out of the problem areas, though crime seems to be spreading everywhere. My upscale suburban community has been hit with a rash of violent crimes around malls, anywhere teens gather. More armed robbery and home invasions too. Stuff unheard of just a few years ago. Criminals are getting bolder for sure.

I think the recently gentrified urban areas will become yuppie hellholes soon. My cousin lives in one and he has constant break ins, confrontations with junkies, and his fiancee was even beat up by a pimp. They stash guns around the house like they are deodorizers. No way to live in my opinion, regardless of how good the restaurants and night life. He was recently acknowledged at a Braves game for community service, and is very invested in the area, but I don't know how much longer he will consider it worth it. If he had kids I suspect he'd already be out of there.

I have a CC permit but rarely carry. Perhaps I should reconsider that , but my main concern is my family and home. And I have that well covered. I moved years ago partly to avoid crime, but it seems it can follow you anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by cmalbatros View Post
          I don't have one but I know a man who has. Lots of them actually and Zombie Land kits too, just 3 short miles away for when TSHTF. And he's a military trained sniper too.
          I live in Western North Carolina. I don't know anyone who does not own several, although I am sure there are some.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
            Check. I actually bought some as potential barter goods. Along with ammo of course.

But when you really think about it, better advice might be, "MOVE!" Get out of the problem areas, though crime seems to be spreading everywhere. My upscale suburban community has been hit with a rash of violent crimes around malls, anywhere teens gather. More armed robbery and home invasions too. Stuff unheard of just a few years ago. Criminals are getting bolder for sure.

I think the recently gentrified urban areas will become yuppie hellholes soon. My cousin lives in one and he has constant break ins, confrontations with junkies, and his fiancee was even beat up by a pimp. They stash guns around the house like they are deodorizers. No way to live in my opinion, regardless of how good the restaurants and night life. He was recently acknowledged at a Braves game for community service, and is very invested in the area, but I don't know how much longer he will consider it worth it. If he had kids I suspect he'd already be out of there.

I have a CC permit but rarely carry. Perhaps I should reconsider that , but my main concern is my family and home. And I have that well covered. I moved years ago partly to avoid crime, but it seems it can follow you anywhere.
            The daughter of a colleague of mine moved back to New Orleans, into the a more troubled neighborhood, after Katrina. She and her husband were very active in community service and moved back with the hopes of helping the community get back on its feet. One night her husband was pistol whipped and she was shot and killed in front of their young son. Community service can only go so far.
            Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

Comment

Firearms are but one of many tools in the toolbox.

Mitigating the risk of being a victim of crime has a lot of facets to consider.

Situational awareness is a big one.

Lots of active(guard dog breed, alarm/light/video system) and passive(location of and access to home, quality doors/windows) measures can be used.

I'm quite pro gun......but buying firearm(s) without the associated training/experience is potentially quit hollow personal security.

Using firearms for real is an incredibly high stress and poop inducing experience...even most law enforcement fail to adequately train sufficiently in their realistic use(inducing physical and mental stress to replicate reality).

The best example I have is from a few years ago when visiting an ex-mil friend in South Africa.

We had just arrived back to his house after spending some time in the bush...it was fortified like a bunker...literally.....area cleared for concealment of carjackers/home invaders, high walls, razor wire, multiple strands of electric fencing, flood lights, electric and electrified gate, bars on windows and doors, internal bar door between rooms, private armed response company tied into monitered alarm.

His next door neighbour's house got hit not long before we arrived with 1 dead.

Not a great place to live..and that was in a "nice" neighbourhood in South Africa.

To me BOTH houses looked roughly equally safe and secure......but the next door neighbour didn't have private armed response remote monitoring or internal bar doors...so easier target I suppose.

I don't think it's anything worth panicking about in the 1st world(unless in a crappy or seriously declining neighbourhood).

But I reckon it's always a good idea wherever you live to present a "harder" target than the next guy.....and to occasionally review your family's safety and security and to adjust things when it makes sense.

Criminals are lazy.....conservation of energy and whatnot.....they will typically go for the easier to steal stuff...and leave the high risk, low reward stuff alone.

And some victims are lazy....my wife just started contracting again to dental practices...the last dentist she helped out just had his family home burgled for the 4th time in 3 years. Some people choose to allow themselves to be victims.

Just my 0.02c

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
                His next door neighbour's house got hit not long before we arrived with 1 dead.
                That's a sad story. I've met two couples who emigrated from South Africa in recent years (in one case, with the entire extended family), both for the same reason. "Too much crime". Hopefully things are improving down there.

Comment

While you're buying the gun. Eye on the prize. Eat the rich.

Comment

This would be an appropriate neighbor to visit now and again. Bring chocolate chip cookies, for sure.

Comment

What happened to the pimp?

Comment

the original itulip gun thread: http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthr.../8138-Hand-gun

Comment

But when you really think about it, better advice might be, "MOVE!" Get out of the problem areas, though crime seems to be spreading everywhere.
                          This is the best advice. I'd move out of a big city if you're really worried about social unrest, riots, or just increased crime to a smaller and cheaper place to live. You don't have to live in the sticks but a small to moderate sized city of 20k-100k has a very different feel and attitude to it. Hell of a lot cheaper too. If you're in CA look at Redding some time. Beautiful area and weather is still good, very cheap too, the problem is finding a job of any sort however.

But then that is a problem every where you go now.

If you can't move I believe the best advice is to get to know your neighbors well and look out for each other. No matter how good you get with a pistol its easy for a gang 3 or 4 to overwhelm you or distract you while their buddy walks up and puts one in your head when you're looking the other way. Which AFAIK is what they normally do now a days in gang violence.

Comment

As others have said, don't buy a gun unless you're willing to train, train, train. Then train some more. In a high stress, big fright situation your adrenaline will make your body do strange things like shake, freeze, and not obey commands from your brain. An attacker 20 feet away can reach you in 2 seconds. Can you draw, remember to flick off the safety, line up your sights and do controlled fire under that kind of stress?

Do you know, and have you and your family memorized the Four Rules of Handgun Safety? Everyone should know these rules even if they don't own a gun, because you never know when you might have to pick one up: http://www.reloadammo.com/gun-law.htm

When I took a simulator class with several other experienced shooters we were abolutely shocked at how hard it was to assess confusing situations and react properly under pressure. We all got "killed" over and over again. It was a very humbling experience.

The main ingredient for successful self-defense isn't the weapon but your attitude. Some people are wolves. Most people are rabbits. It's very hard for a rabbit to become a wolf.

How alert are you when you're walking through a parking lot and approaching your car? Are you aware of your surroundings at all times- on foot, while driving, in a restaurant, an elevator, at the ATM... ?

Keep your doors locked even when at home, especially if you go outside in the yard. People often go out to their backyard then come back inside, only to find a home invader came in through the front door while they were out back.

In my experience, visible window bars on a house are a more effective burglary deterrent than an alarm system. Yet I can't count all the times I've suggested bars to people only to hear them say, "I think they're ugly. I wouldn't want to have to look through them when I look out my window." That's OK by me. Personally, I don't feel safe in a house that doesn't have window bars and security doors.

Next week I have a welder coming over to install a steel cage over my air conditioner. Gotta stay one step ahead of the bad guys.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

The world is going to hell in a hand basket!
                              I think the main problem is welfare mothers and darkies. If we could just restore slavery everything would be all right. And public beheading of gum chewers. And too much sex. Girls wear tight clothes that show too much skin. We need to pass a law requiring the burqa ( even in bed )

burka-11.jpg

look how happy these two girls ( people? ) look! Who wouldn't want to look like that especially on a 90 degree day in Cannes. Perfect for a good tan on the yacht don't you agree?

With rigid control of sex, civil and human rights and every non-slave ( if there are any ) male required to carry an assault rifle at all times the world will be a safer, less stressful place!

Comment

Working...
                              X