Microbiomes are the Sh*t!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microbiomes are the Sh*t!

This is a very interesting article on an aspect of medicine that should yield some shocking surprises. This is fertile ground.

How Microbes Defend and Define Us

Dr. Alexander Khoruts, a gastroenterologist at the University Minnesota, used bacteriotherapy to help cure a patient suffering from a gut infection.

By CARL ZIMMER

Published: July 12, 2010

Dr. Alexander Khoruts had run out of options.

Multimedia

Graphic
    Microbiomes

In 2008, Dr. Khoruts, a gastroenterologist at the University of Minnesota, took on a patient suffering from a vicious gut infection of Clostridium difficile. She was crippled by constant diarrhea, which had left her in a wheelchair wearing diapers. Dr. Khoruts treated her with an assortment of antibiotics, but nothing could stop the bacteria. His patient was wasting away, losing 60 pounds over the course of eight months. “She was just dwindling down the drain, and she probably would have died,” Dr. Khoruts said.
    Dr. Khoruts decided his patient needed a transplant. But he didn’t give her a piece of someone else’s intestines, or a stomach, or any other organ. Instead, he gave her some of her husband’s bacteria.
    Dr. Khoruts mixed a small sample of her husband’s stool with saline solution and delivered it into her colon. Writing in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology last month, Dr. Khoruts and his colleagues reported that her diarrhea vanished in a day. Her Clostridium difficile infection disappeared as well and has not returned since.
    The procedure — known as bacteriotherapy or fecal transplantation — had been carried out a few times over the past few decades. But Dr. Khoruts and his colleagues were able to do something previous doctors could not: they took a genetic survey of the bacteria in her intestines before and after the transplant.
    Before the transplant, they found, her gut flora was in a desperate state. “The normal bacteria just didn’t exist in her,” said Dr. Khoruts. “She was colonized by all sorts of misfits.”
    Two weeks after the transplant, the scientists analyzed the microbes again. Her husband’s microbes had taken over. “That community was able to function and cure her disease in a matter of days,” said Janet Jansson, a microbial ecologist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and a co-author of the paper. “I didn’t expect it to work. The project blew me away.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sc...ewanted=1&_r=1

Re: Microbiomes are the Sh*t!

neat - thanks for posting
    Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

VERY cool.

I wonder if it will ever be possible to develop "high performance" gut flora?

I would think the possibilities to improve overall health and well being could be substantial.

Just last week I had to take an oral dose of Dukarol(for cholera and Baghdad bum) for a pending trip to a rough location down the road......I don't know how closely, if at all, it relates to this experiment......but I was a bit fascinated by the prospect of something I can drink(I presume to proactively change the flora in my gut) as a preventative gut health measure.

Neat stuff!

Comment

Alternate thread title: Share your poop; share your life!

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Big Pharma won't like this if they can get cut out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
            Big Pharma won't like this if they can get cut out of the equation.
            Screw a carbon tax, tax methane and give big pharma the proceeds!

Comment

Working...
            X