A Study in Contrasts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Study in Contrasts...

The world is a fascinating place. I wonder if Royal Jet serves pigeon?

[and yes, I have tried the pigeon on the menu years ago on one of my many trips to Cairo]

Exhibit One:
    Suntech Power Holdings Co., Ltd. (NYSE: STP), the world's largest crystalline silicon photovoltaic module manufacturer, announced its selection by Aldar Properties PJSC to supply over 1,120 solar panels for a 292 kW solar system for The Shams Tower, an iconic building on Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi...

Exhibit Two:
    The Yas Marina [F1] Circuit was designed by Hermann Tilke. The track will feature a Monaco-style harbour front section using public roads, and another section similar to the Eau Rouge corner of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit. [the track was completed last year]

Exhibit Three:
    Royal Jet gears up for Abu Dhabi F1 event

Royal Jet, the Abu Dhabi-headquartered, international executive flight services company, is gearing up to serve the elite visitors at the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix.

With its VIP Terminal facility at Abu Dhabi International Airport being situated only three minutes by helicopter transfer or five minutes by limousine to the Yas Marina circuit, demand for Royal Jet services will be very high and they are taking all necessary steps to ensure that the travelling experience of the VIPs, the company said in a statement on Saturday...

..."Taking the examples of the Grand Prix held in Bahrain, Istanbul and Monaco as typical of the type of numbers likely to fly in on private jets, we are expecting around 200 to 250 aircraft movements during the three day event with additional numbers using our VIP terminal in the previous week. That equates to around 750 to 1,000 guests who will pass through our facilities during the race days themselves."...

Exhibit Four: [When I first read this headline I thought it was an article about foreigners who bought property in Dubai on credit...]
    People advised to avoid eating pigeons trapped in the UAE

Published: 00:00 July 4, 2010

The article, published last week, reported that residents were concerned about people trapping flocks of pigeons.

Hilary Barreto, 54, said he had witnessed a similar incident near his house on Salam Street.

"They were capturing only the biggest, fattest birds. One bystander told me that the birds are eaten as a delicacy in his country, and supposedly that this was why they were being trapped," Barreto said. He however declined to name the nationality of the bystander.

Gulf News spoke to a number of people and was able to confirm that pigeon meat is considered a delectable dish in Egypt, and in Asian countries like the Philippines and Bangladesh.

"We, however, do not serve pigeon meat in our restaurant here," confirmed a manageress of a Filipino restaurant in the capital...
Working...
X