Re: How I learned to love the economic crisis: 2010 edition

The FDIC never sleeps...

Barnes Banking CompanyKaysvilleUT1252January 15, 2010January 15, 2010
    St. Stephen State BankSt. StephenMN17522January 15, 2010January 15, 2010
    Town Community Bank & TrustAntiochIL34705January 15, 2010January 15, 2010
    Skoal! Skoal! Skoal!

Comment

Another week of 2010, another batch of banks gone down...

Columbia River BankThe DallesOR22469January 22, 2010January 22, 2010
      Evergreen BankSeattleWA20501January 22, 2010January 22, 2010
      Charter BankSanta FeNM32498January 22, 2010January 22, 2010
      Bank of LeetonLeetonMO8265January 22, 2010January 22, 2010
      Premier American BankMiamiFL57147January 22, 2010January 22, 2010
      Does this mean next week will have 7? (1, 3, 5 thus far...)

Skoal! Skoal! Skoal! Skoal! Skoal!

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
        Another week of 2010, another batch of banks gone down...

Does this mean next week will have 7? (1, 3, 5 thus far...)
        7 seems a reasonable outcome.

But after that it gets more worrysome...is the next week after a continuation of the odd numbers sequence [e.g. 9], or does it jump instead to 11, then 13, 17, 19, 23, 29...and on into a Euclidean infinity? :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
          7 seems a reasonable outcome.

But after that it gets more worrysome...is the next week after a continuation of the odd numbers sequence [e.g. 9], or does it jump instead to 11, then 13, 17, 19, 23, 29...and on into a Euclidean infinity? :eek:
          The series started 1, 3, 5 (odd numbers) not 2, 3, 5 (primes numbers.) So it should continue 7, 9, 11, ...
          Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
            The series started 1, 3, 5 (odd numbers) not 2, 3, 5 (primes numbers.) So it should continue 7, 9, 11, ...
            I was counting on you to notice that...

But it's always good to have a second opinion that we're safe. Relatively...

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
              I was counting on you to notice that...

But it's always good to have a second opinion that we're safe. Relatively...
              Eh ... they both go to infinity. Counting by primes just gets you there a little quicker.

Comment

The interesting question is: if 800 banks are expected to fail this year (iTulip), what progression is needed in order for this to happen given the simple average is 16.5 per week? (2009 average: 4 with maximum of 9 in one week)

We're talking 20 or 30 banks failing at a clip on certain weeks - barring 'rationing' of the bank failures...

Its a Wonderful Life...not

Comment

Eh ... they both go to infinity. Counting by primes just gets you there a little quicker.
                  Official government policy is to "buy time"...so it would seem every little bit helps...

Who would have imagined how beneficial only one failure to start out the year, instead of two, could be.

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
                  The interesting question is: if 800 banks are expected to fail this year (iTulip), what progression is needed in order for this to happen given the simple average is 16.5 per week? (2009 average: 4 with maximum of 9 in one week)

We're talking 20 or 30 banks failing at a clip on certain weeks - barring 'rationing' of the bank failures...

Its a Wonderful Life...not
                  I would imagine the next wave of mortgage resets will cause the bank failure rates to fluctuate quite dramatically during the year.

Comment

not exactly.... in fact, i'd say they get you there at exactly the same speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                      not exactly.... in fact, i'd say they get you there at exactly the same speed.
                      There are 25 primes between 1 and 100, but 50 odd numbers. As one goes higher, there are fewer primes (roughly logarithmic, per the Prime Number Theorem) but just as many odd numbers (every other one.)

But you probably knew that. And yes, I was speaking loosely.

The question is whether I can resist the temptation to present a proper explanation of infinity and such here. So far, so good ...

Comment

There are 25 primes between 1 and 100, but 50 odd numbers. As one goes higher, there are fewer primes (roughly logarithmic, per the Prime Number Theorem) but just as many odd numbers (every other one.)

But you probably knew that. And yes, I was speaking loosely.

The question is whether I can resist the temptation to present a proper explanation of infinity and such here. So far, so good ...
                        and i'll resist the temptation to explain why there are exactly as many primes as odd numbers.:eek:

Comment

this probably belongs in the jokes thread. that said, we're on rant and rave:

How do you prove that all odd numbers are prime?
                          Well, this problem has different solutions whether you are a:

Mathematician:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and by induction we have that all the odd integers are prime.

Physicist:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is an experimental error...

Engineer:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime...

Chemist:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime... hey, let's publish!

Modern physicist using renormalization:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... 9/3 is prime, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, 15 is ... 15/3 is prime, 17 is prime, 19 is prime, 21 is ... 21/3 is prime...

Quantum Physicist:
                          All numbers are equally prime and non-prime until observed.

Professor:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and the rest are left as an exercise for the student.

Confused Undergraduate:
                          Let p be any prime number larger than 2. Then p is not divisible by 2, so p is odd. QED

Measure nontheorist:
                          There are exactly as many odd numbers as primes (Euclid, Cantor), and exactly one even prime (namely 2), so there must be exactly one odd nonprime (namely 1).

Cosmologist:
                          3 is prime, yes it is true...

Computer Scientist:
                          10 is prime, 11 is prime, 101 is prime...

Programmer:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 will be fixed in the next release, ...

C programmer:
                          03 is prime, 05 is prime, 07 is prime, 09 is really 011 which everyone knows is prime, ...

BASIC programmer:
                          What's a prime?

COBOL programmer:
                          What's an odd number?

Windows programmer:
                          3 is prime. Wait...

Mac programmer:
                          Now why would anyone want to know about that? That's not user friendly. You don't worry about it, we'll take care of it for you.

Bill Gates:
                          1. No one will ever need any more than 3

Pentium owner:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 8.9999978 is prime...

GNU programmer:
                          % prime
                          usage: prime [-nV] [--quiet] [--silent] [--version] [-e script] --catenate --concatenate | c --create | d --diff --compare | r --append | t --list | u --update | x -extract --get [ --atime-preserve ] [ -b, --block-size N ] [ -B, --read-full-blocks ] [ -C, --directory DIR ] [--checkpoint ] [ -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F ] [ --force-local ] [ -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F ] [-G, --incremental ] [ -g, --listed-incremental F ] [ -h, --dereference ] [ -i, --ignore-zeros ] [ --ignore-failed-read ] [ -k, --keep-old-files ] [ -K, --starting-file F ] [ -l, --one-file-system ] [ -L, --tape-length N ] [ -m, --modification-time ] [ -M, --multi-volume ] [ -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE ] [ -o, --old-archive, --portability ] [ -O, --to-stdout ] [ -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions ] [ -P, --absolute-paths ] [ --preserve ] [ -R, --record-number ] [ [-f script-file] [--expression=script] [--file=script-file] [file...]
                          prime: you must specify exactly one of the r, c, t, x, or d options
                          For more information, type "prime --help''

Unix programmer:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, ...
                          Segmentation fault, Core dumped.

Computer programmer:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime, 9 is prime, 9 is prime, 9 is ...
                          Oops, let's try that again:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... 3 is ...
                          Um, right. Okay, how about this:
                          3 is not prime, 5 is not prime, 7 is not prime, 9 is not prime...
                          So much for the beta releases. Ship this:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is a feature, 11 is prime...
                          and put on the cover "More prime numbers than anyone else in the industry !"
                          Coming soon:
                          3 is a prime, 4 is a feature, 5 is a prime, 6 is a feature, 7 is a prime, 8 is not yet implemented, 9 is our backwards compatibility module, ...

Computational linguist:
                          3 is an odd prime, 5 is an odd prime, 7 is an odd prime, 9 is a very odd prime, ...

Software tech support operator:
                          Well, we haven't had any reports of composite odd numbers... do you have the latest version of ZFC?

Minesweeper addict:
                          1 is green, 2 is blue, 3 is orange, 4 is red...

Logician:
                          Hypothesis: All odd numbers are prime
                          Proof:
                          1. If a proof exists, then the hypothesis must be true
                          2. The proof exists; you're reading it now.
                          From 1 and 2 follows that all odd numbers are prime

Linguist:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 aaah. I can make 9 a prime.

Philosopher:
                          Why don't we just call all the odd numbers prime and call all the prime numbers odd, that way all the odd numbers would be prime

Philosopher (2):
                          3 is prime. Hum, that's an interesting statement, I'll get one of my research students to look into that.

Economist:
                          Assume 9 is prime...

Economist (2):
                          2 is a prime, 4 is a prime.

Economist (3):
                          2 is even, 4 is even, 6 is even...

Economist (4):
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is not prime. Look, the prime rate is dropping.

Statistician:
                          100% of the sample 5, 13, 37, 41 and 53 is prime, so all odd numbers must be prime.

Mechanical Statistician:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is an outlier, 11 is prime, 13 is prime...

English major:
                          What's a prime number ?

Politician:
                          What's a number ?

Politician (2):
                          It depends on what the meaning of is is.

Philosophy major:
                          What is ?

Athletic scholarship:
                          What !?

Mid-level manager:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is... Who can I delegate this to ?

Lawyer:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, although there appears to be prima facie evidence that 9 is not prime, there exists substantial precedent to indicate that nine should be considered prime. The following brief presents the case for nine's primeness...

Salesman:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and with 9 you get five excellent primes for the price of three!

Anthropologist:
                          Prime or not, every number is unique. Take 9 for example...

Liberal:
                          The fact that nine is not prime indicates a deprived cultural environment which can only be remedied by a federally funded cultural enrichment program.

Bush:
                          What's nine got against being prime? I'll bet it won't allow the pledge of allegiance to be said in our schools either.

Nixon:
                          Put nine on the enemies list. I'm gonna get that number.

New Yorker:
                          3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
                            this probably belongs in the jokes thread. that said, we're on rant and rave:

How do you prove that all odd numbers are prime?
                            Well, this problem has different solutions whether you are a:

Mathematician:
                            3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and by induction we have that all the odd integers are prime.

Physicist:
                            3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is an experimental error...
                            Im sure this took quite some time to put together...but it's great!

Comment

First Regional BankLos AngelesCA23011January 29, 2010January 29, 2010
                              Community Bank and TrustCorneliaGA5702January 29, 2010January 29, 2010
                              Marshall Bank, N.A.HallockMN16133January 29, 2010January 29, 2010
                              Florida Community BankImmokaleeFL5672January 29, 2010January 29, 2010
                              First National Bank of GeorgiaCarrolltonGA16480January 29, 2010January 29, 2010

Skoal! Skoal! Skoal! Skoal! Skoal!

Of course it is only 5:40pm PST...more late entrants possible

Comment

Working...
                              X