Obama's strategy in China may fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's strategy in China may fail.

Obama's strategy in China may fail due to the a lack of cultural understanding of the Chinese.

China, ranked in importance.
    1. Money.
    2. Money.
    3. Money/Face (for earning more money).

Japanese, ranked in importance.
    1. Face/Pride.
    2. Money.
    3. Freedom.

American, ranked in importance.
    1. Money.
    2. Freedom.
    3. Ethics/Pride.

Re: Obama's strategy in China may fail.

What exactly is Obama's strategy in China?

It is not clear to me.

Comment

Obama is simply the house nigra. . . His "policy" is the oligarchy's policy. Bush was simply the banjo-playing inbred boy on the porch. . .His "policy" was the oligarchy's policy.

The oligarchy throws in a little Kabuki to keep people occupied in the fullest meaning of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by KGW View Post
        Obama is simply the house nigra. . . His "policy" is the oligarchy's policy. Bush was simply the banjo-playing inbred boy on the porch. . .His "policy" was the oligarchy's policy.

The oligarchy throws in a little Kabuki to keep people occupied in the fullest meaning of the word.
        That deserves "Quote of the Day" status

Comment

Originally posted by KGW View Post

I get your drift. but maybe your word choice is poor. Can you get in anything with a reference to jews and papist so you can really make you point.

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
            What exactly is Obama's strategy in China?

It is not clear to me.

Obama is trying to negotiate with the Chinese like a politician when he should send a businessman to do the negotiation.

The Chinese are now capitalists in the purest form. No religion, virtually not constrained by culture, morality or identity.

To the Chinese, America is the dream golden goose, which lays eggs (dollars) that they can use to exchange for hard currency (euro) and commodities, and gives employment to its workers. For the time being, the Chinese can't breed another golden goose. Since nothing is forever, the Chinese are investing in research on how to clone a golden goose. So in the meantime, they would have to keep the goose alive and the workers would have to take good care of it in order to continue collecting eggs. But once the Chinese have learned how to clone the goose, the goose will have even lesser bargaining power. If the goose is naughty, it may well become tonight's dinner.
            Last edited by touchring; November 19, 2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by touchring
              Obama is trying to negotiate with the Chinese like a politician when he should send a businessman to do the negotiation.
              That he is attempting to negotiate, that I can see.

What he is attempting to negotiate, not so clear.

A strong dollar as the Treasury Secretary du regime says or a stronger yuan as China is 'manipulating currencies'?

More imports into China from the US? Less Chinese exports to the US?

Buy more Treasury bonds? Don't sell the Treasury bonds you have?

Comment

Touche, goadam1! I'm glad you made that point, and in a humorous way too.

Comment

That he is attempting to negotiate, that I can see.

What he is attempting to negotiate, not so clear.

A strong dollar as the Treasury Secretary du regime says or a stronger yuan as China is 'manipulating currencies'?

More imports into China from the US? Less Chinese exports to the US?

Buy more Treasury bonds? Don't sell the Treasury bonds you have?

I believe that he is trying to get China to unpeg the yuan from the dollar.

Do you shop in China often? If you try entering a shop, the shop assistant who looks no older than 22-23 years old will be exceedingly friendly and helpful, particularly so if you are a foreigner. After going through a couple of the items and asking for the price and information, you walk out. While walking out, you thought you heard a muttering in Chinese "No money, don't shop" (translated from Chinese).

The Chinese are different from the typical Japanese or Korean or even Thai. Once they know that you are not going to buy, they can turn very nasty quickly.

You can't do this and expect a good deal from the Chinese. This method won't work with them.

The Chinese will drive a hard bargain.

And they are not interested in buildings or any kind of trophy except real assets.
                  http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-1220284.html
                  They are buying natural resources and companies with international branding and market reach.

China had a banking industry that issued paper money 1000 years before Europe and elsewhere and the Chinese know what money is about and how to make money.
                  http://www.gi-de.com/portal/page?_pageid=42,54468&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
                  Last edited by touchring; November 20, 2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by touchring View Post
                    Obama is trying to negotiate with the Chinese like a politician when he should send a businessman to do the negotiation...
                    Isn't that what Bush Jr. did, when he repeatedly sent Hank Paulson there? And what good did that do?

Comment

Originally posted by touchring
                      I believe that he is trying to get China to unpeg the yuan from the dollar.
                      This is a stupid goal, but then again my views on Obama are well known.

The reality is that as Obama continues to deficit spend, China will continue to not buy Treasuries.

At this point it seems clear to me that China will allow the yuan to start rising against the dollar - although primarily to not anger the EU into aggressive trade barriers as opposed to anything the US wants.

But even a doubling of the yuan isn't going to help the US...if the US dollar is halving in the meantime.

Comment

This is a stupid goal, but then again my views on Obama are well known.

The reality is that as Obama continues to deficit spend, China will continue to not buy Treasuries.

At this point it seems clear to me that China will allow the yuan to start rising against the dollar - although primarily to not anger the EU into aggressive trade barriers as opposed to anything the US wants.

But even a doubling of the yuan isn't going to help the US...if the US dollar is halving in the meantime.

We're all speculating on this, but China may just let the yuan rise only marginally, perhaps 10% just to show that they are doing something. If the crisis has changed anything, it will probably be China's bargaining power with respect to currency and trade issues.

Comment

Last year i said it will fail, indeed it has failed.

The RMB has not budged even 1%.
                          Last edited by touchring; March 17, 2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X