Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you paying attention?

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
    Hopefully the youth wearing a backpack, shoved into an unmarked car by guys in Army fatigues (National Guardsmen?) doesn't wind up going to the present day equivalent of Guantanamo Bay.

After all, Obama ended the unlawful detention of the prisoners held there, didn't he?

I especially like the treatment of the Uighurs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantan...detention_camp

This must be the non-Geneva convention equivalent to the double jeapordy law: you can only be imprisoned, persecuted, or tortured once.

Maybe the next Obama classification will be that all those arrested/captured by American soldiers are considered enemy combatants...after all, the soldiers are combatants thus anyone they're combating must also be combatants. And they're the enemy.

Obama to Use Current Law to Support Detentions

By PETER BAKER
    Published: September 23, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has decided not to seek new legislation from Congress authorizing the indefinite detention of about 50 terrorism suspects being held without charges at at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Wednesday.

Instead, the administration will continue to hold the detainees without bringing them to trial based on the power it says it has under the Congressional resolution passed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, authorizing the president to use force against forces of Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

In concluding that it does not need specific permission from Congress to hold detainees without charges, the Obama administration is adopting one of the arguments advanced by the Bush administration in years of debates about detention policies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us.../24detain.html

Comment

[QUOTE=babbittd;125174]

It is here gentlemen. This video is going viral!

How soon before anyone petitions a court to see where this young man is?

How soon before the masses figure out that the Govt. is kidnapping people!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
        This video reminds me of the Kent State Shootings, which aroused much dissent on college campuses in May of 1970.

I no longer sense this same willingness to student rebellion on our college campuses that I did back then.

I can't tell if that's because this generation of college students is less rebellious or whether it is because I am now an old fogey out of touch with our youth.
        When their parents can't afford to buy them iPods anymore, they'll get more energized . . . . :eek:
        raja
        Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Originally posted by Thailandnotes View Post
          yes.
          those were the most striking images!
          who ordered that?
          That was disturbing. Maybe Alex Jones has a point. I always thought he was a nut job now I’m not so sure.

Comment

From The College Politico:

http://thecollegepolitico.com/the-tr...from-the-g-20/

Its crazy isn’t it? It really looks like the military is just picking up some guy and taking him away at first glance… but a second look reveals that the men in the video are wearing different kinds of camouflaged fatigues that many have claimed aren’t up to military standards. Plus the fact that two police officers can be seen at the tail end of the video doesn’t help clear up the situation.

Well… I was really confused about what actually happened in this video so I decided to do a little leg work and find out for sure. First I was able to confirm, through a spokesperson, that the men in the video are NOT from the Pennsylvania National Guard who are on the ground assisting the police in crowd control but are NOT carrying weapons or making ANY arrests.

Next, given that the people in the video aren’t from the Pennsylvania National Guard, I wanted to see what the Police had to say about the video. So I contacted the Pittsburgh Police Department and they gave me the number for the G-20 Joint Information Center which handles press requests on G-20 related security questions.

The G-20 Joint Information Center, which can be reached at 412-402-7630, issued this statement to me which explains exactly what is going on in that video:
            The individuals involved in the 9/24/2009 arrest which has appeared online are law enforcement officers from a multi-agency tactical response team assigned to the security operations for the G20.

It is not unusual for tactical team members to wear camouflaged fatigues. The type of fatigues the officers wear designates their unit affiliation. Prior to the arrest, the officers observed this subject vandalizing a local business. Due to the hostile nature of the crowd, officer safety and the safety of the person under arrest, the subject was immediately removed from the area.

So, yes, the video is real. However, it wasn’t the military and the guy wasn’t being kidnapped. Instead he was being arrested for vandalism.

Comment

For more on the LRAD:

(I wonder if Mr. Norris expected that his weapon would be used in Pittsburgh against students).

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mack View Post

Obama to Use Current Law to Support Detentions

By PETER BAKER
                Published: September 23, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has decided not to seek new legislation from Congress authorizing the indefinite detention of about 50 terrorism suspects being held without charges at at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Wednesday.

Instead, the administration will continue to hold the detainees without bringing them to trial based on the power it says it has under the Congressional resolution passed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, authorizing the president to use force against forces of Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

In concluding that it does not need specific permission from Congress to hold detainees without charges, the Obama administration is adopting one of the arguments advanced by the Bush administration in years of debates about detention policies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us.../24detain.html
                Are you guys dense or do you not just pay attention when posting?

The Uighers were released to tropical paradises. We should all be so lucky! They are in Palau (I've been there, and would kill to go back) and The Bahamas.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatter666 View Post
                  My absolute favorite was the environmental "Earth Day" protest where apparently Penn and Teller got someone to get a slew of people to sign a petition asking to ban H2O. It's in just about everything you know!
                  Dihydrogen Monoxide is so dangerously chemical-sounding! It gets in the drinking supply, and too much ingestion causes excessive sweating and urination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghent12 View Post
                    Are you guys dense or do you not just pay attention when posting?

The Uighers were released to tropical paradises. We should all be so lucky! They are in Palau (I've been there, and would kill to go back) and The Bahamas.

Are you talking to me?

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mack View Post
                      Are you talking to me?
                      Yes, although partly by accident. You quoted the person I was actually speaking towards, and I read into your post part of what you were quoting. So really, no. Sowwy.

Comment

British Style:

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                          It's because they've gone from wanting to change the world to wanting to become investment bankers when they grow up...:rolleyes:

But some things never seem to change...
                          ...Military Madness was killing the country
                          Solitary sadness creeps over me
                          And after the wars are over
                          And the body count is finally filed
                          I hope that The Man discovers
                          What's driving the people wild
                          Military madness is killing your country...
                          --Graham Nash; Military Madness, from "Songs for Beginners", 1971--

And the Madness continues. What a way to start the day...

[courtesy of Jesse]

Comment

Working...
                          X