Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: metalman's appelation should be "ej's bulldog"

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
    No, we're talking about you, metal-fatigue. I wrote Lukester above, and I meant Lukester. "pukester" on my part was an ill attempt to hassle him at those times which no doubt you fully documented--what waste of your time. It still stands tallest that the best name for you will be metal-fatigue, and let no man forget.
    you got it, jim drawdown.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
      you got it, jim drawdown.
      "A Few Good Men" Tom Cruise as Kaffee: "I want the truth."
      Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessep shouting" "You can't handle the truth."

One invests $100 dollars and it appreciates to $150, and then it declines to $110 and then one sells the position, it is a truth that one made 10%, but to my, and no doubt others,' reckoning, one "lost" 26.66% or in another term the "drawdown" was 26.66%. To me the 26.66% drawdown is the real truth, and for many people that is a "truth" they choose not to want to "handle," which is fine by me.
      Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

"A Few Good Men" Tom Cruise as Kaffee: "I want the truth."
        Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessep shouting" "You can't handle the truth."

One invests $100 dollars and it appreciates to $150, and then it declines to $110 and then one sells the position, it is a truth that one made 10%, but to my, and no doubt others,' reckoning, one "lost" 26.66% or in another term the "drawdown" was 26.66%. To me the 26.66% drawdown is the real truth, and for many people that is a "truth" they choose not to want to "handle," which is fine by me.
        was referring to the bath you said took by ignoring the debt deflation bear market warning in dec 2007... but maybe i misremember.

Comment

was referring to the bath you said took by ignoring the debt deflation bear market warning in dec 2007... but maybe i misremember.
          Look it up and link it. I took a "bath" by your standards if my drawdown was as I believe you track your investments by gains/losses on closed postions. Using your standards, I did not take "bath."

You've never come close to convincing me, not that I have asked you to do so, that you track drawdowns (as I recall you did not know what the term meant, neither did I though I had done the math for many years before learning it had a name), so personally I don't think you have any basis for criticizing what I have done or how I have fared, though I am relatively sure that will not shut you up--and it is that inability to know when to stop that makes you "metal-fatigue" El supremo.
          Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Look it up and link it. I took a "bath" by your standards if my drawdown was as I believe you track your investments by gains/losses on closed postions. Using your standards, I did not take "bath."

You've never come close to convincing me, not that I have asked you to do so, that you track drawdowns (as I recall you did not know what the term meant, neither did I though I had done the math for many years before learning it had a name), so personally I don't think you have any basis for criticizing what I have done or how I have fared, though I am relatively sure that will not shut you up--and it is that inability to know when to stop that makes you "metal-fatigue" El supremo.
            you must miss pukester...

My wife and I live frugally, and the loss of $180K, even though in part a "paper loss," will not, as I can see at the moment, negatively affect our lifestyle, except that I have been and will be a while longer grumpy and pissed off. Oh, and I get no comfort from Buffett losing billions vs. my losing thousands. Screw Buffett. What I lost pisses me off, and he should be much moreso.

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthr...24180+drawdown

Comment

you must miss pukester...
              As a matter of fact, I do miss Lukester, no one's perfect if you can grasp that, but Luke was a worthwhile contibutor, granting that one did not have to read every single word he ever posted.
              Jim 69 y/o

Comment

As a matter of fact, I do miss Lukester, no one's perfect if you can grasp that, but Luke was a worthwhile contibutor, granting that one did not have to read every single word he ever posted.
                last i checked, he was not 'banned'. he left. too bad. i miss him, too.

Comment

last i checked, he was not 'banned'. he left. too bad. i miss him, too.
                  Either what you checked is wrong, or he is in fact banned, and perhaps he doesn't know that he's not banned, it's just that for some reason he can't post. So perhaps the correct description is that he is banned from expression of his thoughts by posting.
                  Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Either what you checked is wrong, or he is in fact banned, and perhaps he doesn't know that he's not banned, it's just that for some reason he can't post. So perhaps the correct description is that he is banned from expression of his thoughts by posting.
                    last i read he was in a 'grey list' with fred/bdadmin/bouncer awaiting a sign that it takes two to tango.

dead for weeks since.

sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                      i tried to send this by pm to fred, but his storage is full.

thomas henry huxley [aldous' or fred's grandfather] was known as darwin's bulldog. i don't think "chief cynic" is an accurate appelation for metalman, and propose he be rechristened "ej's bulldog."
                      jk, given MM's numerous "reminders" to members, it should be acknowledged that MM is never impolite or rude. As such, I am unsure if "bulldog" is fitting.

Also, based on iTulip's recent closing comments and with POOM just ahead of us, I think MM's encyclopedic memory coupled with a good dose of dark humor, will become progressively more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by LargoWinch View Post
                        jk, given MM's numerous "reminders" to members, it should be acknowledged that MM is never impolite or rude. As such, I am unsure if "bulldog" is fitting.

Also, based on iTulip's recent closing comments and with POOM just ahead of us, I think MM's encyclopedic memory coupled with a good dose of dark humor, will become progressively more useful.
                        i never, ever questioned the utility of metalman's reminders. except for the occasional puerile joke, metalman's postings are great.

Comment

i never, ever questioned the utility of metalman's reminders. except for the occasional puerile joke, metalman's postings are great.
                          Understood jk. What about "Cynical Bull"? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LargoWinch View Post
                            Understood jk. What about "Cynical Bull"? ;)
                            my first choice now: ej's pitbull
                            second choice: itulip pitbull

Comment

my first choice now: ej's pitbull
                              second choice: itulip pitbull
                              We are having a conversation with Metalman to change his title to "iTulip Pitbull" as JK requested and at the same time expand his role to "moderator."

Principles of the new iTulip moderator role:

The purpose of the iTulip forums is to discuss, argue, and refine the ideas that Eric Janszen develops, and to discuss events in the context of iTulip concepts, as well as to discuss ideas developed by other analysis in the context of the ideas that EJ has developed.

An example of constructive thread is Where are we on the iTulip hyperinflation checklist?

That does not mean that every single thread has to involve iTulip concepts. This is fine.

What we are trying to avoid is wasting time and money in discredited ideas, or going back over problems that we have already solved.

EJ has not spent half a million of dollars and 11 years collecting an audience so that outsiders can address the iTulip community with their own ideas or other analyists' ideas independent of iTulip concepts.

In his new role, Metalman will engage members who systematically ignore iTulip concepts and/or consistently do not reference iTulip material when bringing the ideas of other analysts or their own into the forums. These members through a pattern of behavior are demonstrating that they really want to do is develop their own audience for their own ideas. That's fine. Metalman will encourage them to start their own site where they can develop an audience for their own ideas, at their own expense.

Criticism of the ideas presented by EJ is encouraged, heckling is not. Criticism is constructive, heckling is disrespectful. Metalman will clue in the 1% of members who on occasion fail to comprehend the difference. If they persist, they will find themselves on the grey list with another member who is still there, able to read but not post until they develop an understanding of the difference between arguing and heckling.

Finally, Metalman will punt the occasional troll. They are not hard to identify: they ignore iTulip ideas, never reference iTulip material, are consistently critical, are never supportive, and frequently misrepresent or distort iTulip positions. One hundred percent of them either work for or have some other relationship with iTulip's competition. Metalman will ban them.

All of the above is common sense. We are glad to have Metalman's help to make it happen. Anyone other members who is interested in helping out as a moderator, please let me know. Thanks!

p.s. Metalman has been asked to cut out the puerile humor.
                              Last edited by FRED; July 19, 2009, 10:55 AM.
                              Ed.

Comment

Fred, let me be the first to say kudos on the moderator decision. I have long wondered why iTulip did not follow the lead of most internet forums and have some volunteer/participant moderators. I have acted as one on other sites and I think it is a highly effective model if properly implemented.

Comment

Working...
                                X