Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch what you say at this Bar and Restaurant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch what you say at this Bar and Restaurant.

FRED:

Audiences cost money to attract, whether to a restaurant to consume food and beverages, a stadium to attend a sporting event, or to a web site to consume ideas that were developed over a decade at great cost. Others may wish to take a free ride, but we will continue to discourage this as we see fit.

We did not create iTulip as a place for others to promote their own ideas. They have their own web sites for that. They can spend their own time and money attracting an audience to their ideas. If they'd like to partner with iTulip, we are open to it and have many partners and will continue to expand our partner's group.
    iTulip seems to be a bit overly concerned about some of the ideas being posted on their website lately. To some, this might be misinterpreted as iTulip demonstrating a lack of confidence in it's own analysis. To others, we might feel that iTulip is missing a marketing opportunity to convert it's newly arrived clients to long term and very loyal subscribers.

I, like many others here, spend more time on iTulip than any other financial web site. And part of that reason is that I expect to find links to other analysis, and I expect to see controversial ideas posted. Very few of those links will lead to the quality of analysis that iTulip offers, and even if they do, it in no way diminished the iTulip analysis and it only brings me back to iTulip to find more links. When someone posts a controversial idea, I expect to see a posting by FRED with several links to previous iTulip analysis that repudiates the idea and leads me to information that I might not be aware of. I also expect to see a discussion between members of the iTulip community, for whom I have a great deal of respect, which will also be very informative.

Since iTulip does long term economic analysis, it must be somewhat difficult to keep coming up with fresh and timely material for EJ and FRED to post on a regular basis. Disputing widely held misconceptions, that might get posted here, might be another very beneficial service iTulip can provide to it's readers and might also be looked upon as a marketing opportunity to demonstrate the strength of the website portion of the iTulip business model.

$.02

Re: Watch what you say at this Bar and Restaurant.

Originally posted by we_are_toast View Post
    iTulip seems to be a bit overly concerned about some of the ideas being posted on their website lately. To some, this might be misinterpreted as iTulip demonstrating a lack of confidence in it's own analysis. To others, we might feel that iTulip is missing a marketing opportunity to convert it's newly arrived clients to long term and very loyal subscribers.

I, like many others here, spend more time on iTulip than any other financial web site. And part of that reason is that I expect to find links to other analysis, and I expect to see controversial ideas posted. Very few of those links will lead to the quality of analysis that iTulip offers, and even if they do, it in no way diminished the iTulip analysis and it only brings me back to iTulip to find more links. When someone posts a controversial idea, I expect to see a posting by FRED with several links to previous iTulip analysis that repudiates the idea and leads me to information that I might not be aware of. I also expect to see a discussion between members of the iTulip community, for whom I have a great deal of respect, which will also be very informative.

Since iTulip does long term economic analysis, it must be somewhat difficult to keep coming up with fresh and timely material for EJ and FRED to post on a regular basis. Disputing widely held misconceptions, that might get posted here, might be another very beneficial service iTulip can provide to it's readers and might also be looked upon as a marketing opportunity to demonstrate the strength of the website portion of the iTulip business model.

$.02
    Toast, I would disagree with your assessment. I recently responded to a thread started by Doom and Gloom called "sharing" with an assertion that Itulip probably would not appreciate links to other posts without direct news correlation. Here was Fred's response:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ax
    D&G, not to rain on your parade but it's my impression that unless there's some correlated news, administrators of websites don't like you posting links to other similarly oriented sites.

"Most web sites, yes, but not this one! If the site's competitive and better, we lose and that's our problem. If it's not competitive but tangential or additive, we're all for it. We do not like non-credible sites that preach hate and conspiracies, or spread ignorance."

I think part of the problem, aside from distracting personal grudge banter, stems from the push from members to treat this as a stock picking site. This leads to "challenges" to management to address the calls of others who are stock pickers. Keep in mind what we pay for, long-term economic insight and ramifications of current fiscal policy. Now, like myself, many may try to extrapolate good trading advice from these macro calls, but that is not the explicit intent of Itulip.

On a personal level, I welcome the insights of those such as Lukester, Nero, and Symbols. My initial reading of Kitikov's post was spam in sheep's clothing, however legitimate his background may be.

Comment

Originally posted by we_are_toast View Post

$.02
      you're making too big a deal out of this. fred's only restating an obvious policy... the difference between a guy who shows up on itulip, starts a thread and refuses to answer questions here but instead points us to his web site. i've seen it happen over and over. these guys are not interested in sharing their ideas on itulip.

compare to bart, for example. he has his own site and has a link to it in right in his signature. bart never says, 'can't answer that... ya gotta go to my webs site'. why? because bart is not a jerk. bart contributes frequently. bart's an ace. itulip uses bart's charts all the time.

take ash... he has his own web site and explains in his signature that his web site isn't about economic/finance... ie. is not competitive. why does ash bother to explain that? ash is not a jerk either. ash is the very opposite of a jerk.

i appreciate fred throwing jerks out of itulip when necessary. that said, i don't think fred threw the austrian guy out. fred pointed to the spam policy and the guy left in a huff... like a girl who gets caught shop lifting and storms out yelling... 'i'll never shop in this store again'!
      Last edited by metalman; May 25, 2009, 11:14 AM. Reason: speelling

Comment

I agree with you ax and if I could just add one more point that a lot of people seem to be missing.

We_are_toast said: "When someone posts a controversial idea, I expect to see a posting by FRED with several links to previous iTulip analysis that repudiates the idea and leads me to information that I might not be aware of."

No. This is not the right approach. EJ and the various others that make up FRED have limited time during the day. I don't like the fact that if they have 20 min to post something that they have to waste it replying to something that's been discussed 10x already on the site.

I really resent the fact that some people continue to poke and poke at them for a response to something they've responded to so many times in the past and yet they have to do it because they're practically given no option from all the fuss people make. EJ has yet to steer us wrong so to call him out on a future prediction that he is refusing to get sucked into is just ridiculous.

On that note, I think Metalman is invaluable on here since he's the one taking a lot of time to refer people to prior posts that answer the same questions that repeatedly arise.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckinTX View Post
          I agree with you ax and if I could just add one more point that a lot of people seem to be missing.

We_are_toast said: "When someone posts a controversial idea, I expect to see a posting by FRED with several links to previous iTulip analysis that repudiates the idea and leads me to information that I might not be aware of."

No. This is not the right approach. EJ and the various others that make up FRED have limited time during the day. I don't like the fact that if they have 20 min to post something that they have to waste it replying to something that's been discussed 10x already on the site.

I really resent the fact that some people continue to poke and poke at them for a response to something they've responded to so many times in the past and yet they have to do it because they're practically given no option from all the fuss people make. EJ has yet to steer us wrong so to call him out on a future prediction that he is refusing to get sucked into is just ridiculous.

On that note, I think Metalman is invaluable on here since he's the one taking a lot of time to refer people to prior posts that answer the same questions that repeatedly arise.
          AMEN! I agree completely. I also agree with Metalman's post.
          jim

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
            you're making too big a deal out of this. fred's only restating an obvious policy... the difference between a guy who shows up on itulip, starts a thread and refuses to answer questions here but instead points us to his web site. i've seen it happen over and over. these guys are not interested in sharing their ideas on itulip.

compare to bart, for example. he has his own site and has a link to it in right in his signature. bart never says, 'can't answer that... ya gotta go to my webs site'. why? because bart is not a jerk. bart contributes frequently. bart's an ace. itulip uses bart's charts all the time.

take ash... he has his own web site and explains in his signature that his web site isn't about economic/finance... ie. is not competitive. why does ash bother to explain that? ash is not a jerk either. ash is the very opposite of a jerk.

i appreciate fred throwing jerks out of itulip when necessary. that said, i don't think fred threw the austrian guy out. fred pointed to the spam policy and the guy left in a huff... like a girl who gets caught shop lifting and storms out yelling... 'i'll never shop in this store again'!
            Well, I threw my toys out of my pram, but to be fair, admin had edited ikitov's post so we can't make a judgement as to what he said. Metalman's counterexamples are good ones.
            It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

Working...
            X