Meanwhile... in Guatemala.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile... in Guatemala.

Latam will continue to get worse politically.

If you know spanish, I recommend that you see the videos and read the declaration below. He knew that he was going to get killed so he documented everything, and went for a bike ride so that they wouldn't kill his kids (like they killed his client's daughter along with the client).

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=389&sid=1673847

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) - A lawyer slain by gunmen over the weekend appears in a video tape that emerged Monday alleging that if anything happened to him it would be at the behest of Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom.

Colom's spokesman, Fernando Barrillas, issued a statement saying the government "categorically rejects any accusations made in tapes and statements being distributed to some news media."

"This reveals the intention of creating a political crisis around a case that should be investigated and processed by the courts," the statement posted on the government's Web site said.

Lawyer Rodrigo Rosenberg was shot to death by unidentified assailants while riding his bicycle Sunday, the newspaper El Periodico de Guatemala said.

In the video distributed to local media, Rosenberg says: "If you are watching this message, it is because I was assassinated by President Alvaro Colom with help from Gustavo Alejos," the president's private secretary.

Former interior minister Adela de Torrebiarte, who knew Rosenberg, said he was the man on the video.

The director of El Periodico, Juan Luis Font, said the accusation was distributed to media in audio format at Rosenberg's funeral and later in the video.

Rosenberg says on the tape that officials might want to kill him because he represented businessman Khalil Musa, who was killed along with his daughter Marjorie in April. Rosenberg alleged those killings were in retaliation for Musa's refusal to engage in acts of corruption that Colom purportedly invited him to participate in.

BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8045089.stm

Videos (in Spanish): http://www.youtube.com/user/cmonzon6

Written declarations before his assassination (in Spanish):
    http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2009/m...mg/pagina1.gif
    http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2009/m...mg/pagina2.gif
    http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2009/m...mg/pagina3.gif
    Last edited by WildspitzE; May 11, 2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: typo

Mr. Rosenberg is HEROIC

Thanks for posting. I read his declaration (I understand Spanish). All I can say is that he is one HEROIC guy. And I believe every word he says.

As I've mentioned before, I spent some serious time becoming fluent in Spanish in the 1990's, and for several years I spent 2-3 weeks of my vacation at Spanish language schools in different Latin American countries, and living with local families during mid to late 1990's.

So I was able to converse with and get to know a lot of people in these countries who don't speak English and who are middle class or working class. It's a very different perspective from the propaganda in U.S. newspapers re: Latin American leaders. In EVERY country (Ecuador, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico), they said the same thing. Our politicians are corrupt and on-the-take and being in politics is a business, a money-making opportunity for themselves and friends and family. They do next to nothing for the benefit of the average citizen.

That is why in the 2000's, several left-wing governments have been elected in some Latin American countries, the little guy was pushed so far, food and basic needs became so pressing, they elected the most radical leftist they could find. Guatemala is obviously not yet in that category.

In 1996, I spent 2 weeks in Guatemala, I had a one-on-one Spanish language instructor. Since my Spanish was already pretty good, we spent most of our time in conversation and in traveling to nearby town from Antigua.

In one mid-size town, after she showed me the church, then she whispered "Do you want to know where the massacre took place?". I said sure, she led me up a hill, and pointed to the spot. She explained that in the middle of the night, 4 years prior, 6 local community and labor leaders had been pulled out of their beds in the middle of night, taken there, and shot.

Sad. It's one way to make sure your labor force doesn't rebel or get too uppity.

I hope Mr. Rosenberg's murder is a wake-up call for Guatemala, and the corrupt president of Guatemala is exposed and tossed.

Comment

Re: Mr. Rosenberg is HEROIC

Originally posted by World Traveler View Post
      Thanks for posting. I read his declaration (I understand Spanish). All I can say is that he is one HEROIC guy. And I believe every word he says.

As I've mentioned before, I spent some serious time becoming fluent in Spanish in the 1990's, and for several years I spent 2-3 weeks of my vacation at Spanish language schools in different Latin American countries, and living with local families during mid to late 1990's.

So I was able to converse with and get to know a lot of people in these countries who don't speak English and who are middle class or working class. It's a very different perspective from the propaganda in U.S. newspapers re: Latin American leaders. In EVERY country (Ecuador, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico), they said the same thing. Our politicians are corrupt and on-the-take and being in politics is a business, a money-making opportunity for themselves and friends and family. They do next to nothing for the benefit of the average citizen.

That is why in the 2000's, several left-wing governments have been elected in some Latin American countries, the little guy was pushed so far, food and basic needs became so pressing, they elected the most radical leftist they could find. Guatemala is obviously not yet in that category.

In 1996, I spent 2 weeks in Guatemala, I had a one-on-one Spanish language instructor. Since my Spanish was already pretty good, we spent most of our time in conversation and in traveling to nearby town from Antigua.

In one mid-size town, after she showed me the church, then she whispered "Do you want to know where the massacre took place?". I said sure, she led me up a hill, and pointed to the spot. She explained that in the middle of the night, 4 years prior, 6 local community and labor leaders had been pulled out of their beds in the middle of night, taken there, and shot.

Sad. It's one way to make sure your labor force doesn't rebel or get too uppity.

I hope Mr. Rosenberg's murder is a wake-up call for Guatemala, and the corrupt president of Guatemala is exposed and tossed.
      same old story... a brave soul puts his life on the line and the world changes...
      Guatemala murder scandal could threaten the presidency

Christian Science Monitor - ‎May 20, 2009‎
      Reporter Sara Miller Llana talks with CSMonitor.com's Pat Murphy about the current controversy surrounding Guatemalan president Alvaro Colom, ...
      Guatemala's president says right-wing attack wants to strip him of ... Free Speech Radio News

Crime and politics in Guatemala An indictment from the grave Economist

Guatemala murder scandal deepens BBC News

revelations... coming to a corruptly governed nation near you.

Comment

Working...
      X