RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert

Just posting this because it seems horrifying but then, what do I know? I'm still trying to figure this all out...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...8/cnrbs118.xml

RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
    Last Updated: 11:44pm BST 17/06/2008

The Royal Bank of Scotland has advised clients to brace for a full-fledged crash in global stock and credit markets over the next three months as inflation paralyses the major central banks.

"A very nasty period is soon to be upon us - be prepared," said Bob Janjuah, the bank's credit strategist.

A report by the bank's research team warns that the S&P 500 index of Wall Street equities is likely to fall by more than 300 points to around 1050 by September as "all the chickens come home to roost" from the excesses of the global boom, with contagion spreading across Europe and emerging markets.

Such a slide on world bourses would amount to one of the worst bear markets over the last century.
    More on banking

RBS said the iTraxx index of high-grade corporate bonds could soar to 130/150 while the "Crossover" index of lower grade corporate bonds could reach 650/700 in a renewed bout of panic on the debt markets.
    advertisement

"I do not think I can be much blunter. If you have to be in credit, focus on quality, short durations, non-cyclical defensive names.

"Cash is the key safe haven. This is about not losing your money, and not losing your job," said Mr Janjuah, who became a City star after his grim warnings last year about the credit crisis proved all too accurate.

RBS expects Wall Street to rally a little further into early July before short-lived momentum from America's fiscal boost begins to fizzle out, and the delayed effects of the oil spike inflict their damage.

"Globalisation was always going to risk putting G7 bankers into a dangerous corner at some point. We have got to that point," he said.

US Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank both face a Hobson's choice as workers start to lose their jobs in earnest and lenders cut off credit.

The authorities cannot respond with easy money because oil and food costs continue to push headline inflation to levels that are unsettling the markets. "The ugly spoiler is that we may need to see much lower global growth in order to get lower inflation," he said.

"The Fed is in panic mode. The massive credibility chasms down which the Fed and maybe even the ECB will plummet when they fail to hike rates in the face of higher inflation will combine to give us a big sell-off in risky assets," he said.

Kit Jukes, RBS's head of debt markets, said Europe would not be immune. "Economic weakness is spreading and the latest data on consumer demand and confidence are dire. The ECB is hell-bent on raising rates.

"The political fall-out could be substantial as finance ministers from the weaker economies rail at the ECB. Wider spreads between the German Bunds and peripheral markets seem assured," he said.

Ultimately, the bank expects the oil price spike to subside as the more powerful force of debt deflation takes hold next year.

Re: RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert

Nice find, olive, thanks for putting it up.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

This seems to go along with the following warning
      Morgan Stanley warns of 'catastrophic event' as ECB fights Federal Reserve

The clash between the European Central Bank and the US Federal Reserve over monetary strategy is causing serious strains in the global financial system and could lead to a replay of Europe's exchange rate crisis in the 1990s, a team of bankers has warned.

"We see striking similarities between the transatlantic tensions that built up in the early 1990s and those that are accumulating again today. The outcome of the 1992 deadlock was a major currency crisis and a recession in Europe," said a report by Morgan Stanley's European experts.

Just as then, Washington has slashed rates to bail out the banks and prevent an economic hard-landing, while Frankfurt has stuck to its hawkish line - ignoring angry protests from politicians and squeals of pain from Europe's export industry.

Indeed, the ECB has let the de facto interest rate - Euribor - rise by over 100 basis points since the credit crisis began.

Just as then, the dollar has plummeted far enough to cause worldwide alarm. In August 1992 it fell to 1.35 against the Deutsche Mark: this time it has fallen even further to the equivalent of 1.25. It is potentially worse for Europe this time because the yen and yuan have also fallen to near record lows. So has sterling.

Morgan Stanley doubts that Europe's monetary union will break up under pressure, but it warns that corked pressures will have to find release one way or another.

This will most likely occur through property slumps and banking purges in the vulnerable countries of the Club Med region and the euro-satellite states of Eastern Europe.

"The tensions will not disappear into thin air. They will find fault lines on the periphery of Europe. Painful macro adjustments are likely to take place. Pegs to the euro could be questioned," said the report, written by Eric Chaney, Carlos Caceres, and Pasquale Diana.

The point of maximum stress could occur in coming months if the ECB carries out the threat this month by Jean-Claude Trichet to raise rates. It will be worse yet - for Europe - if the Fed backs away from expected tightening. "This could trigger another 'catastrophic' event," warned Morgan Stanley.

Comment

Well... the thing that is not good to my mind is that this is mainstream media (somewhat). Regular people seeing this will be pretty jittery. And its never a good thing from what I understand when regular people start thinking.... (being a regular people, I can say that)

Comment

US leeway to counter Trichet is between a rock and a hard place:

Toughness required:

U.S. wholesale-level inflation jumps 1.4% in May; PPI up 7.2% in past year

But evaporating asset-backed collateral to the banking system requires the yield curve get a fresh pump-prime instead, to steepen it and give the banks some "air". Just exactly like everybody here pictured it would work out, 18 months ago. Fed seems to be playing out it's end-game moves like a drunken sailor.

US YIELD CURVE NEEDS A NEW PUMP PRIME.jpg
          Last edited by Contemptuous; June 18, 2008, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by olivegreen View Post
            Well... the thing that is not good to my mind is that this is mainstream media (somewhat). Regular people seeing this will be pretty jittery. And its never a good thing from what I understand when regular people start thinking.... (being a regular people, I can say that)
            Check out Yahoo Finance for the type of stuff "regular people" might be reading, but more likely they are reading crap about Britney et. al. luminaries. They are not likely reading the Telegraph.

Unless something has changed galactically since you wrote the above 15 minutes ago or so, you are grossly misplacing your concerns to consider that regular Americans have begun thinking. I don't think iTulip is necessarily the epitome of enlightenment, but it definitely is not a bad place to be seeking financial/economic enlightenment, and if you are reading and contributing here you place yourself a bit outside of the "herd."

After a piece Mega posted yesterday by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard I was looking on the Telegraph earlier tonight and saw neither the piece you put in nor the one Rajiv put up. Thanks to both of you.
            Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

"end game moves like a drunken sailor"

That I like... mind you, a drunken sailor is probably happily oblivious, unlike the Feds...

It all seems surreal...

This RBS article is on the Drudgereport now. More mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
                US leeway to counter Trichet is between a rock and a hard place:

Toughness required:

U.S. wholesale-level inflation jumps 1.4% in May; PPI up 7.2% in past year

But evaporating asset-backed collateral to the banking system requires the yield curve get a fresh pump-prime instead, to steepen it and give the banks some "air". Just exactly like everybody here pictured it would work out, 18 months ago. Fed seems to be playing out it's end-game moves like a drunken sailor.

[ATTACH]409[/ATTACH]

Gold market disagrees with RBS, says the banks will keep shoveling money against the debt deflation tide
                Ed.

Comment

"end game moves like a drunken sailor"

That I like... mind you, a drunken sailor is probably happily oblivious, unlike the Feds...

It all seems surreal...

This RBS article is on the Drudgereport now. More mainstream.
                  I beg to differ: A drunken sailor would make for a better steward of the U.S. economy than the current FOMC under the so-called leadership of Bernankee.

If there is any solution to painting themselves into a corner the way the FOMC has, raising interest rates--- yes, RAISING interest rates--- is the solution.

Higher interest rates would mean lower oil, a stronger dollar, and a far better environment for investment in the U.S, higher stox, more savings, less inflation, and probably even a better real estate environment too.... But Bernankee just doesn't see it.

Enjoy the depression. The Royal Bank of Scotland says that the fun really begins this summer. :eek:

Comment

"Gold market disagrees with RBS, says the banks will keep shoveling money against the debt deflation tide"

...until they run out of money, right? because you can't print forever?

Comment

Olivegreen...they think thye can!!! They think they can run negative interest rates forever, so inevitably they must think they can "create" new money forever.

Comment

It simply can't be stupidity because that seems utterly impossible. I figure one could only call it a "deliberate catastrophe"... there's no other way to describe it... maybe, likely, I'm wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by The Outback Oracle View Post
                          Olivegreen...they think thye can!!! They think they can run negative interest rates forever, so inevitably they must think they can "create" new money forever.
                          Central banks can create new money forever. However, they can't control where it goes and they cannot control its value.

Comment

It simply can't be stupidity because that seems utterly impossible. I figure one could only call it a "deliberate catastrophe"... there's no other way to describe it... maybe, likely, I'm wrong...
                            Meet idiot #2, Mr. Donald Kohn, the Vice-Chairman of the U.S. Fed, another of Bush's appointees to the FOMC.

According to Kohn, some inflation from oil is just fine because inflation creates jobs. Mr. Kohn argued the absurd logic of the Phillips Curve which is part of so-called basic economics education.

Here is what Mr. Kohn had to say in Boston last week. (I am not making this up!)
                            http://www.cnbc.com/id/25126035
                            Last edited by Starving Steve; June 18, 2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Damn EJ...that little quote ought go down in history!!!!

I must put it on my wall just to reassure me that my basic idea is correct!
                              Like most others around here i tend to be a bit early on things...with negative consequences! So sometimes one questions one's prescience!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X