Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Raises and Now Tariffs? Have we been in ka--- for ten years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fed Raises and Now Tariffs? Have we been in ka--- for ten years?

For those that think the USA "doesn't make anything any more" and its all about imports. Among other things the USA is a massive exporter of agricultural products worldwide. However, $3 B is small beans in terms of the size of the USA and Chinese economies.

China announces it's imposing new tariffs on 128 US products

China is implementing new tariffs on meat, fruit and other products from the U.S. as retaliation for American duties, heightening fears of a potential trade war between the world's two largest economies.

Beijing's latest move, announced by its finance ministry in a statementdated April 1, is direct retaliation against taxes approved by President Donald Trump on imported steel and aluminum. Chinese officials had been warning over the last few weeks that their country would take action against the U.S.
    The tariffs begin on Monday, the finance ministry statement said.

China's Customs Tariff Commission is increasing the tariff rate on pork products and aluminum scrap by 25 percent. It's also imposing a new 15 percent tariff on 120 other imported U.S. commodities, from almonds to apples and berries.

All told, the extra tariffs will hit 128 kinds of U.S. products, multiple outlets reported. The list of new duties matches the proposed list released by the government on March 23, according to Reuters.
    At that time, China said the affected U.S. goods had an import value of $3 billion in 2017 and included wine, fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts, steel pipes, modified ethanol and ginseng...

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
      For those that think the USA "doesn't make anything any more" and its all about imports. Among other things the USA is a massive exporter of agricultural products worldwide. However, $3 B is small beans in terms of the size of the USA and Chinese economies.

You know tariffs on raw food imports is a huge joke. It's like cutting off one's nose to spike the face.

Let's say I supply you with a free supply of Chinese apples and almonds and dried apricots would you want it? Or rather, should I say, would you dare to eat them?

No one, not even north korea, will sanction raw food imports because by doing so, you drive up domestic food prices, and penalize your own people, especially the lower income earners.

Comment

Originally posted by touchring View Post
        You know tariffs on raw food imports is a huge joke. It's like cutting off one's nose to spike the face.

Let's say I supply you with a free supply of Chinese apples and almonds and dried apricots would you want it? Or rather, should I say, would you dare to eat them?

No one, not even north korea, will sanction raw food imports because by doing so, you drive up domestic food prices, and penalize your own people, especially the lower income earners.
        depends on how much other supply there is globally, and how liquid the market is. if they can buy it from brazil instead, what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
          depends on how much other supply there is globally, and how liquid the market is. if they can buy it from brazil instead, what's the difference?
          I'm not sure how taxing American crops or livestock really hurts the U.S., though. If the farmers need the money, all we have to do is invade one less country and give a fraction of the saved money to the farmers. Meanwhile, are the Brazilians rich enough to buy higher-value (greater profit margin) Chinese goods?

From a U.S. perspective, I have seen nothing yet from this prelude-to-a-tradewar that concerns me.

Comment

I agree. The Chinese may trim US$ holdings at the margin, but they will not "dump" USTs.

There are lots of pundits who have been calling for the "collapse" of the US$, especially after the Wall St precipitated financial crisis. And many of them make compelling sounding arguments for why that should occur.

But I cannot help but notice that many of the holders of some of the world's other major currencies seem to be losing their ardor. Witness the Italians (an important EU economy participant, unlike poor Cyprus or Greece) and the seemingly growing desire to exit the Euro currency union (or, more to the point, to have Germany exit it so the remainder can undertake an overdue reflation). The Pound, which was already declining, got hammered on the Brexit vote and is slowly trying to struggle back. Large volumes of capital continue to try to exit mainland China, despite the authorities increasingly draconian efforts to stem it. The mighty HKD looks like it is breaking down. Is there anybody holding rubles voluntarily? Anybody checked out the comparative performance of the Canadian $ in the past five years?

If confidence in other major currencies continues to erode it would seem the US$ will remain the safe haven of choice, and that could be what precipitates the next global financial crisis. Not a $ crash, a $ runup. And that is an outcome I don't think the world is expecting or ready for.
            This is along the lines of Martin Armstrong's thinking: a crisis in confidence in other currencies and investment capital fleeing Europe to invest in the DOW, leading to an uber-strong US$, that will be the cause of the next financial crisis.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton Kuo View Post
              I'm not sure how taxing American crops or livestock really hurts the U.S., though. If the farmers need the money, all we have to do is invade one less country and give a fraction of the saved money to the farmers. Meanwhile, are the Brazilians rich enough to buy higher-value (greater profit margin) Chinese goods?

From a U.S. perspective, I have seen nothing yet from this prelude-to-a-tradewar that concerns me.

This is just a face saving move by Xi.

It appears to me that Trump's goal might be to make it more expensive for America companies to bring in goods into the US from China, encouraging them to move some production out of China into the US. For example, assembly might be done in the US or Mexico instead of China.

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
              This is along the lines of Martin Armstrong's thinking: a crisis in confidence in other currencies and investment capital fleeing Europe to invest in the DOW, leading to an uber-strong US$, that will be the cause of the next financial crisis.

Europe has already bottomed, hard to imagine what else could cause a new crisis in Europe?

Anyway, I don't think Trump wants a strong US$. He wants Americans to buy less imported crap. A strong US$ will not help.

Here is the full list of food items that are subject to additional tariffs.

1 Dried coconut 15%
              2 Coconut without inner shell 15%
              3 Other coconut 15%
              4 Unhulled Brazilian nuts 15%
              5 Shelled Brazilian nuts 15%
              6 Unshelled cashews 15%
              7 Shelled cashew 15%
              8 Unshelled almonds 15%
              9 Shelled almonds 15%
              10 Hazelnuts 15%
              11 Unshelled hazelnuts 15%
              12 Unshelled walnuts 15%
              13 Walnut kernels 15%
              14 Unhulled chestnut 15%
              15 Other shelled chestnuts 15%
              16 Unhulled pistachio fruit 15%
              17 Hulled pistacchio nut 15%
              18 Other unhulled macadamia nuts 15%
              19 Roasted macadamia nuts 15%
              20 Betel nut fruit 15%
              21 Pine nuts 15%
              22 Other fresh or dried nuts 15%
              23 Fresh or dried plantain 15%
              24 Other fresh or dried bananas, except for plantains 15%
              25 Fresh or dried dates 15%
              26 Fresh or dried figs 15%
              27 Fresh or dried pineapple 15%
              28 Fresh or dried avocado 15%
              29 Fresh or dried guava 15%
              30 Fresh or dried mango 15%
              31 Fresh or dried mangosteen 15%
              32 Fresh or dried orange 15%
              33 Other citrus (including mandarin orange and satsuma orange) 15%
              34 Clementine orange 15%
              35 Virgin orange and similar hybrid citrus 15%
              36 Grapefruit, including pomelo 15%
              37 Lemons and limes 15%
              38 Unlisted citrus fruits 15%
              39 Fresh grapes 15%
              40 Raisins 15%
              41 Fresh watermelon 15%
              42 Fresh cantaloupe 15%
              43 Papaya 15%
              44 Fresh apples 15%
              45 Fresh pears and pears 15%
              46 Other fresh pears 15%
              47 Fresh sour cherries 15%
              48 Other fresh cherries 15%
              49 Peaches, including nectarines 15%
              50 Fresh plum and prunes 15%
              51 Fresh strawberries 15%
              52 Fresh raspberry, blackberry, mulberry and loganberry 15%
              53 Fresh cranberry and cowberry 15%
              54 Kiwi 15%
              55 Fresh durian 15%
              56 Persimmon 15%
              57 Fresh lychee 15%
              58 Fresh longan 15%
              59 Rambutan 15%
              60 Fresh sweet lychee 15%
              61 Fresh carambola 15%
              62 Fresh lotus fog 15%
              63 Fresh pitaya 15%
              64 Fruits not listed 15%
              65 Frozen strawberries 15%
              66 Frozen raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, rose hips, currant and gooseberries 15%
              67 Frozen fruits and nuts, not listed 15%
              68 Temporarily preserved cherries 15%
              69 Other temporarily preserved fruits and nuts 15%
              70 Dried apricots 15%
              71 Mei qiang and li gan 15%
              72 Dried apples 15%
              73 Dried longan and pulp 15%
              74 Dried persimmons 15%
              75 Red dates 15%
              76 Dried lychee 15%
              77 Unlisted dried fruit 15%
              78 Assorted nuts or dried fruits 15%
              Wine
              79 Sparkling wine 15%
              80 Other fresh brewed wines packed in containers of two liters or less, or brewed with alcohol inhibiting fermentation of grape juice 15%
              81 Wines brewed with other fresh grapes packed in two-litre containers, but not more than 10 litres, or containing alcohol brewed from fermented grape juice 15%
              82 Wines made from other fresh grapes packed in containers of 10 liters or more, or brewed with alcohol, which inhibits grape juice fermentation 15%
              83 Other items from grape juice wine 15%
              Modified ethanol
              84 Modified ethanol and other alcohols of any concentration 15%
              Ginseng
              85 American ginseng 15%
              86 Other fresh ginseng 15%
              87 Unlisted ginseng 15%
              Stainless steel pipes
              88 Stainless steel oil and gas pipeline pipe, 215.9mm ≤ outside diameter ≤ 406.4mm 15%
              89 Stainless steel oil and gas pipeline pipe, 114.3mm < outside diameter < 215.9mm 15%
              90 Stainless steel oil and gas pipeline pipe, outside diameter ≤114.3mm 15%
              91 Stainless steel oil and gas pipeline pipe, outside diameter > 406.4mm 15%
              92 Other steel oil and gas pipeline pipes, 215.9mm ≤ outside diamteter ≤ 406.4mm 15%
              93 Pipes for other steel, oil and gas pipelines, 114.3mm < outside diameter <215.9mm 15%
              94 Pipes, other steel, petroleum and natural gas, outside diameter ≤ 114.3mm 15%
              95 Other steel oil and gas seamless pipe, external diameter > 406.4mm 15%
              96 Oil and gas drilling pipes made of stainless steel, outside diameter ≤ 168.3mm 15%
              97 Oil and gas drilling pipes made of stainless steel, outside diameter>168.3mm 15%
              98 Other steel drilling oil and gas drilling pipes, outside diameter ≤ 168.3mm 15%
              99 Other steel drilled oil and gas drilling pipes, external diameter>168.3mm 15%
              100 Seamless casing and conduits for drilled petroleum or natural gas made of stainless steel 15%
              101 Other seamless steel casings for oil and gas drilling with a yield strength of less than 552 MPa catheter 15%
              102 Other steel drilling oils with a yield strength of 552 MPa or more but less than 758 MPa and seamless casing and conduits for natural gas 15%
              103 Seamless sets for oil and gas drilling of other steels with a yield strength of 758 MPa or more Tubes, catheters 15%
              104 Seamless boiler tubes for cold drawn or cold rolled iron or ordinary steel 15%
              105 Seamless or cold-rolled iron or common steel seamless geologic drill pipe, casing 15%
              106 Undrawn or cold-rolled iron or plain steel seamless circular cross-section tubes 15%
              107 Non-cold drawn or cold rolled iron or ordinary steel seamless boiler tubes 15%
              108 Non-cold-drawn or cold-rolled iron or ordinary steel seamless geologic drill pipe, casing 15%
              109 Non-cold drawn or cold-rolled iron or plain steel seamless circular cross-section tubes, not elsewhere specified 15%
              110 Cold drawn or cold rolled stainless steel seamless boiler tubes 15%
              111 Undrawn or cold-rolled stainless steel seamless circular cross-section tubes 15%
              112 Non-cold drawn or cold rolled stainless steel seamless boiler tubes 15%
              113 Non-cold drawn or cold rolled stainless steel seamless circular cross-section tubes 15%
              114 Cold-drawn or cold-rolled other alloy steel seamless boiler tubes 15%
              115 Seamless steel alloys, cold drawn or cold rolled 15%
              116 Unalloyed cold-drawn or cold-rolled alloy steel seamless circular cross-section tubes 15%
              117 Other alloy steel seamless boiler tubes, not drawn or cold-rolled 15%
              118 Non-cold-drawn or cold-rolled seamless steel tubes and casings for other alloy steels 15%
              119 Non-cold drawn or cold rolled alloy steel seamless circular cross-section tubes 15%
              120 Other seamless steel tubes and hollow profiles (except cast iron) 15%
              Pork products
              121 Fresh or cold boned pig forelegs, hindquarters and their meat 25%
              122 Other fresh or cold pork 25%
              123 Other frozen whole head and half pork 25%
              124 Frozen bone forelegs, pigs’ legs and their meat 25%
              125 Other frozen pork 25%
              126 Frozen pork liver 25%
              127 Other frozen pork chops 25%
              Scrap aluminum
              128 Aluminum scrap 25%
              https://qz.com/1242652/china-tariffs...lass-of-goods/
              Last edited by touchring; April 03, 2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarrigg View Post
                But I bet it's nowhere near all vehicle traffic in 10 or 20 years. I bet it's a much smaller minority than people think. And vehicle margins are already thin. It's a weird play for so many players to be hoisting untold billions at.
                Roy Amara:
                "We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run."

All vehicle traffic in 10 years is basically unthinkable. I don't know of anyone making that prediction at this time, although I'm sure someone could be found. 20 years is long enough to be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of vehicle traffic was autonomous at that point.

I agree with your thoughts that there are many reasons why having human drivers is good and maybe "underrated". Humans have adaptability and problem solving abilities that manage the exceptions far better than today's autonomous vehicles. I just had my first experience in my new Honda where the collision avoidance system because nonfunctional because the sensors were covered with snow/ice/salt.

That being said, I don't see the situation as a solution in search of a problem. One basic criteria that will have to be met before widespread adoption is that AVs will have to demonstrate they are AT LEAST as safe and probably far safer than human drivers. You said somewhere in this thread about people not liking to die in fiery plane crashes and the same is true of cars.

It's silly to criticize AVs for "killing people" without comparison to the alternative. Roughly 100 people a day are killed in the US in traffic fatalities. I don't think sufficient data exists to reasonably compare safety yet, but at some point that data should exist. If AVs can't show a significant improvement in safety, they are in deep trouble.

As for other motivations, they might be less compelling but certainly exist. It's hard to do much while driving. You can't sleep, most people can't work, you shouldn't watch TV or play video games, you shouldn't drink or get high. Imagine taking a road trip where most of the driving is done while you're asleep or playing cards with your friends/family or drinking a few beers. I would probably take my car over flying to anywhere within about a 10-12 hour drive if I could do it overnight and sleep most of it.

I know there's a lot of people reluctant to give up control and the joy of driving. I totally get that because sometimes driving is a pleasure. However, even on my relatively short daily commute, the joy is pretty close to nonexistent already. Just avoiding the stress of dealing with other drivers would be a welcome change.

Comment

Originally posted by DSpencer View Post
                  Roy Amara:
                  "We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run."

All vehicle traffic in 10 years is basically unthinkable. I don't know of anyone making that prediction at this time, although I'm sure someone could be found. 20 years is long enough to be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of vehicle traffic was autonomous at that point.

I agree with your thoughts that there are many reasons why having human drivers is good and maybe "underrated". Humans have adaptability and problem solving abilities that manage the exceptions far better than today's autonomous vehicles. I just had my first experience in my new Honda where the collision avoidance system because nonfunctional because the sensors were covered with snow/ice/salt.

That being said, I don't see the situation as a solution in search of a problem. One basic criteria that will have to be met before widespread adoption is that AVs will have to demonstrate they are AT LEAST as safe and probably far safer than human drivers. You said somewhere in this thread about people not liking to die in fiery plane crashes and the same is true of cars.

It's silly to criticize AVs for "killing people" without comparison to the alternative. Roughly 100 people a day are killed in the US in traffic fatalities. I don't think sufficient data exists to reasonably compare safety yet, but at some point that data should exist. If AVs can't show a significant improvement in safety, they are in deep trouble.

As for other motivations, they might be less compelling but certainly exist. It's hard to do much while driving. You can't sleep, most people can't work, you shouldn't watch TV or play video games, you shouldn't drink or get high. Imagine taking a road trip where most of the driving is done while you're asleep or playing cards with your friends/family or drinking a few beers. I would probably take my car over flying to anywhere within about a 10-12 hour drive if I could do it overnight and sleep most of it.

I know there's a lot of people reluctant to give up control and the joy of driving. I totally get that because sometimes driving is a pleasure. However, even on my relatively short daily commute, the joy is pretty close to nonexistent already. Just avoiding the stress of dealing with other drivers would be a welcome change.
                  It typically takes either legislation or an economic case to see any reasonably rapid adoption of a technology. My prediction is the area where we will first see adoption of AV technology on public roads will be long haul trucking. There is a major shortage of drivers now. It will get worse as the Canadian and USA economy continue to grow. It is not seen as an attractive career for young people so it is becoming difficult to attract new qualified entrants as drivers age and retire. Even driving a truck for a living takes a certain, shall we say "unique" kind of personality (I have to deal with truckers daily in my business, so I am speaking from first hand experience). Human drivers can only drive a maximum of 14 hours in a day, and there are other safety related rest criteria that result in the truck being off the road for many hours during a weekly cycle. I think the autonomous highway tractor powered by LNG, if not electric, is not far off.

My company is actively involved with LNG mine haul vehicles. Driverless, autonomous mine haul trucks have been in use on mine sites for more than decade. In Australia the supervision is remote from Perth, hundreds of miles away from the mine sites where the trucks are working. I think Rio Tinto just announced a short time ago in Australia that over 10 years it had moved 1 billion tons of ore using remotely supervised autonomous trucks without a single safety incident. That's pretty impressive. Although mine sites are controlled, closed loop environments, it does show what is already possible.
                  Last edited by GRG55; April 04, 2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSpencer View Post
                    Roy Amara:

Might just be an artifact of living in the BOS-WASH corridor, but I take Amtrak fairly regularly. I just don't see what the vacation idea really adds over taking the train today. In a sleeper car, you can get more room. Hell, if you want to splurge you can have your own shower. You have a cafe car for hot meals and booze if that's what you're after, and bathrooms and wifi and electricity. Communal areas to meet new people if you want--your own space to cloister off if you don't. Plus more space and actual beds for the overnight. Or, if you want to go cheaper, just get a regular seat and recline it back and sleep in that, same as you would an autocar I figure. You can watch TV or play video games, drink, play cards with friends and family, whatever. Little harder to get high depending on what exactly that means to you, but creative passengers who want to bad enough I'm sure will find a way. Ditto for the regular commute and busses or commuter trains.

The people who don't use existing public transit have various reasons for not doing so--much of which might be a last-mile problem, but park and rides solve most of that in my experience, and a cheap bare bones compact ought to be enough for the few minutes it takes to get from the house to a park and ride--the added cost of radar and cameras and lidar and computing systems probably doesn't justify the upgrade there. But I'm guessing a lot of people--probably most--who don't already take public transit for their commuting are actually really attached to having the car as "their space." And if I'm at all right about that, the zip-car-style subscription model of autocar is not going to be quite as popular as so many seem to believe. On the other side, like I said, even if prices come way down to a $4k option, that's adding a lot to the price of say a $13k Chevy Spark or Toyota Yaris. It's even quite a bit to a $20k Malibu or Camry. Some people will splurge. But I suspect most will not. Unless you force them to by law.

I see it being a luxury option over the short-mid term. Maybe near the 20 year mark things could change. Another thing to consider--and I know we're the minority--but is us cash buyers. One of my daily drivers is already 20 years old, the other is 14. When I replace the older one in two or three years, I'll get a fairly late-model bare bones sucker with as few bells and whistles as possible, prioritizing reliability and ease/cheapness of maintenance. I fully expect that whatever it is I'll probably keep it for 15-20 years unless some unforeseen event happens. For those who don't care about impressing our buddies at the office or the golf course, the car replacement timeline can get pretty long.

Just note, I'm not saying the tech's impossible...just that the market is probably not as fertile as the cheerleaders believe. Niche areas, sure. Luxury cars for certain--they are already pretty much there. I can definitely see a self-driving zip car style service for select yuppies and college kids. Maybe some specific industrial applications. Could replace some--not all, and probably not most--long haul trucking. Maybe some public transit. Occasional last-mile stuff for tourists. Time will tell. But I seriously doubt you'll see anywhere even near 50% of the vehicles on the road self-driving in 20 years. People are just too poor. They don't even have the money to insulate their houses. Never mind put solar panels on them. Never mind spring for leather seats and self-turning steering wheels. And that's for the middle and upper middle quintiles that even have houses. Computers and cell phones became must-have social devices that working citizens are expected to own and are now in every workplace and classroom, bar very few. This feels more like a luxury that there's no social component to that adds pressure to adopt. The boss might insist you be on e-mail and cell phone alert 24/7. But she can't insist you don't turn the steering wheel yourself...

Comment

another article about [not by] maj gen. qiao liang about economic/financial warfare:

Chinese General Says ‘Contain the United States’ by Attacking Its Finances

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                        another article about [not by] maj gen. qiao liang about economic/financial warfare:

Chinese General Says ‘Contain the United States’ by Attacking Its Finances

The US could easily counter this by withdrawing from the Middle East and let other powers fight it out.

I can foresee that China will launch a financial attack on the US within 10 years, so no matter what you do, tariffs or no tariffs, the party is going to end really soon.

Better end it sooner while the US could still fight a financial war. If not, it would become a real war which your grandkids will need to fight.
                        Last edited by touchring; April 05, 2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

It typically takes either legislation or an economic case to see any reasonably rapid adoption of a technology. My prediction is the area where we will first see adoption of AV technology on public roads will be long haul trucking. There is a major shortage of drivers now. It will get worse as the Canadian and USA economy continue to grow. It is not seen as an attractive career for young people so it is becoming difficult to attract new qualified entrants as drivers age and retire. Even driving a truck for a living takes a certain, shall we say "unique" kind of personality (I have to deal with truckers daily in my business, so I am speaking from first hand experience). Human drivers can only drive a maximum of 14 hours in a day, and there are other safety related rest criteria that result in the truck being off the road for many hours during a weekly cycle. I think the autonomous highway tractor powered by LNG, if not electric, is not far off.

My company is actively involved with LNG mine haul vehicles. Driverless, autonomous mine haul trucks have been in use on mine sites for more than decade. In Australia the supervision is remote from Perth, hundreds of miles away from the mine sites where the trucks are working. I think Rio Tinto just announced a short time ago in Australia that over 10 years it had moved 1 billion tons of ore using remotely supervised autonomous trucks without a single safety incident. That's pretty impressive. Although mine sites are controlled, closed loop environments, it does show what is already possible.
                          There are definitely some advantages for that application. Long highway stretches are probably where AV does best because there's not as many outlier situations like pedestrians, cyclists, etc that cause problems. The routes can be known in advance and could even have remote human monitoring for first and last mile situations if that were advantageous.

There are also companies working on things like self driving construction vehicles which are similar in concept to the mine haul trucks. It's a closed environment with some tasks that are very repetitive. In a situation where noise was not a concern, you could even have machines working throughout the night.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarrigg View Post
                            Might just be an artifact of living in the BOS-WASH corridor, but I take Amtrak fairly regularly. I just don't see what the vacation idea really adds over taking the train today. In a sleeper car, you can get more room. Hell, if you want to splurge you can have your own shower. You have a cafe car for hot meals and booze if that's what you're after, and bathrooms and wifi and electricity. Communal areas to meet new people if you want--your own space to cloister off if you don't. Plus more space and actual beds for the overnight. Or, if you want to go cheaper, just get a regular seat and recline it back and sleep in that, same as you would an autocar I figure. You can watch TV or play video games, drink, play cards with friends and family, whatever. Little harder to get high depending on what exactly that means to you, but creative passengers who want to bad enough I'm sure will find a way. Ditto for the regular commute and busses or commuter trains.

The people who don't use existing public transit have various reasons for not doing so--much of which might be a last-mile problem, but park and rides solve most of that in my experience, and a cheap bare bones compact ought to be enough for the few minutes it takes to get from the house to a park and ride--the added cost of radar and cameras and lidar and computing systems probably doesn't justify the upgrade there. But I'm guessing a lot of people--probably most--who don't already take public transit for their commuting are actually really attached to having the car as "their space." And if I'm at all right about that, the zip-car-style subscription model of autocar is not going to be quite as popular as so many seem to believe. On the other side, like I said, even if prices come way down to a $4k option, that's adding a lot to the price of say a $13k Chevy Spark or Toyota Yaris. It's even quite a bit to a $20k Malibu or Camry. Some people will splurge. But I suspect most will not. Unless you force them to by law.

I see it being a luxury option over the short-mid term. Maybe near the 20 year mark things could change. Another thing to consider--and I know we're the minority--but is us cash buyers. One of my daily drivers is already 20 years old, the other is 14. When I replace the older one in two or three years, I'll get a fairly late-model bare bones sucker with as few bells and whistles as possible, prioritizing reliability and ease/cheapness of maintenance. I fully expect that whatever it is I'll probably keep it for 15-20 years unless some unforeseen event happens. For those who don't care about impressing our buddies at the office or the golf course, the car replacement timeline can get pretty long.

Just note, I'm not saying the tech's impossible...just that the market is probably not as fertile as the cheerleaders believe. Niche areas, sure. Luxury cars for certain--they are already pretty much there. I can definitely see a self-driving zip car style service for select yuppies and college kids. Maybe some specific industrial applications. Could replace some--not all, and probably not most--long haul trucking. Maybe some public transit. Occasional last-mile stuff for tourists. Time will tell. But I seriously doubt you'll see anywhere even near 50% of the vehicles on the road self-driving in 20 years. People are just too poor. They don't even have the money to insulate their houses. Never mind put solar panels on them. Never mind spring for leather seats and self-turning steering wheels. And that's for the middle and upper middle quintiles that even have houses. Computers and cell phones became must-have social devices that working citizens are expected to own and are now in every workplace and classroom, bar very few. This feels more like a luxury that there's no social component to that adds pressure to adopt. The boss might insist you be on e-mail and cell phone alert 24/7. But she can't insist you don't turn the steering wheel yourself...
                            I think the Amtrak alternative is definitely location specific. I've spent roughly 99% of my life in the US, but ridden 90-99% of my train miles in Europe or Australia even counting subways as trains. I'm in Ohio and I never even hear about people taking the train anywhere. I think it's basically not even considered by the vast majority of people as an option.

It's interesting you think people won't be willing/able to afford self driving as an option. I spend my life in awe of how much people choose to spend on their vehicles. I'm surrounded by couples and families of 3 driving an SUV with 3 rows of seats. Urban/Suburban dwellers driving $45k pickup trucks. People making $50k/year driving $50k Cadillacs. Anecdotes are a flawed way of understanding the world, but even hard stats say that people are buying huge numbers of SUVs and pickup trucks. How many of them can truly justify the extra upfront cost and gas money?

I agree that the transition will take a long time because even IF the technology works and everyone wants it, it will take a long time to replace the huge numbers of existing vehicles. The average vehicle age is 11.6 years, (I can't find the median easily but I assume it's close). So even if it became a government mandated feature on new cars in 10 years it might take another decade for half the cars to have it. The reality is more complex because it will likely be phased in gradually.

Again I think it mostly comes down to: what can this technology do for safety? If they are so safe that your insurance premium goes down by 50% then feature might pay for itself. If they are so much safer that the government mandates their use like airbags and seat belts then obviously it will happen very rapidly. If on the other hand they are even 10% more dangerous than human drivers, they are probably dead on arrival.

Comment

I feel self driving vehicles can be made very safe, so that may not be a future issue.

I see more rapid adoption. The aging and rebellious baby boom generation will not want to give up any freedom of movement even though they may not have reaction time, vision acuity, or desire to drive interstate racetracks. I envision very rapid adoption by this large generation. I also see the millennial generation adopting self driving vehicles based on costs, convenience, and parking fees in cities.

Parents of teenagers stressed by looming high college costs will not want to assume high insurance costs and an extra car if the alternative of self driving vehicles is available. Of course they then would have the worry of daughters making out with dates instead of the date having to drive:-)

Comment

Originally posted by touchring View Post
                                The US could easily counter this by withdrawing from the Middle East and let other powers fight it out.
                                what do you think "contain" means?

Comment

Working...
                                X