Re: Trump to Win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trump to Win?

if you have any investments you can't escape macro-econ.

if there is another financial crisis [a plausible possibility] there will be an opportunity for a reset, such as occurred with the election of fdr, but was avoided by obama.

Comment

Glass half-empty?

Not so fast. Remember that all too often change is slow for those that live through it. Only in the history books, in hindsight, does change seem fast.

This was a revolutionary election. How so? A non-anointed one broke through. Recall when Oprah Winfrey was asked about any political ambitions, post Trump victory, and she exclaimed, "oh!" as if to say I can run for President after all! She is not the only one to think this now.

Turns out, a glass ceiling was broken after all. And "this thing of theirs" will never be as exclusive, and predetermined ever again.

That was the biggest danger the neocon establishment feared and never spoke of. If Trump does a semi decent job, the "hey, I can do that!" crowd will be difficult to control. Hopefully it even permeates Congress. Now that's democracy.

The man hijacked a political party and deposed two dynasties while being vilified by 90+ percent of the mainstream media. He survived all that and won the Presidency.

That, is HUGE!

Bernie Sanders was very close to accomplishing the same exact thing. I think 2016 - an electoral response to the American financial crisis, unfettered globalization and Middle East failures - may go down in the books as a turning point. Wall Street and Neocons are on notice.

Obama's 8 years can be best characterized as a band aid - the festering wound is still there, unhealed, and the establishment was reminded in 2016 that the people still feel it.
      Last edited by gnk; May 01, 2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I think the recent Georgia special election, a 30 year old was the leader (ahead of the runoff).

Didn't the millennial age cohort recently become the largest group in America (yes, see link - but not sure how much this translates into voters by age cohort http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-baby-boomers/ ).

I think the revolution is just beginning, and it is not going to end with a Trump oligarchy.

Millennials are pretty pissed off about their share of the future burden (student loans, destroyed medical system, Wall Street), thanks to the greed of the boomers. As a group, they see collective efforts much differently than the typical 30 year old and up cohorts, and when you consider their affinity and birth and rearing in a digital world, I think it would be foolish to count their impact out on helping right this mess of the last 3 or 4 decades.

Comment

conservative russ douthat:
          Donald Trump, Establishment Sellout

(snip)
          But Trump is not actually governing as a populist or revolutionary, and the rolling crises of his first four months are not really about resistance to an “America First” or “drain the swamp” agenda, no matter what his fund-raising emails insist.
          Continue reading the main story

In fact, the various outsider groups that cast their lot with him — from working-class ex-Democrats to antiwar conservatives to free-trade skeptics to build-the-wall immigration hawks to religious conservatives fearful for their liberties — have seen him pick very few difficult fights on their behalf.
          To working-class voters he promised a big infrastructure bill and better health insurance than Obamacare. But his legislative agenda has been standard establishment-Republican fare — spending cuts to pay for upper-bracket tax cuts, rinse, repeat.
          To critics of American military adventurism he promised an end to Libya and Iraq-style interventions, a rebalancing toward Moscow, perhaps even a shake-up of NATO’s architecture. But he’s mostly handed foreign policy over to his military advisers (a pretty deep-state group, as such things go), which means that so far it resembles Obama’s except with more cruise missiles and saber-rattling.
          (snip)

As a populist he’s a paper tiger, too lazy to figure out what policies he should champion and too incompetent and self-absorbed to fight for them.
          So he’s not being dogged by leaks and accusations because he’s trying to turn the Republican Party into a “worker’s party” (he isn’t), or because he’s throwing the money-changers out of the republic’s temples (don’t make me laugh), or because he’s taking steps to reduce America’s role as policeman of the world (none are evident).
          No, he’s at war with the institutions that surround him because he behaves consistently erratically and inappropriately and dangerously, and perhaps criminally as well.
          Or perhaps not: All of this may still not rise to the level of impeachable offenses. But the conservatives rising to his defense need to recognize that there is no elite “counterrevolution” here for them to resist, because there is no Trump revolution in the first place.

You don’t want to sell him out to the establishment; I get it. But open your eyes: He’s already been doing that to you.

Comment

conservative russ douthat:

Donald Trump, Establishment Sellout

(snip)
            But Trump is not actually governing as a populist or revolutionary, and the rolling crises of his first four months are not really about resistance to an “America First” or “drain the swamp” agenda, no matter what his fund-raising emails insist.

In fact, the various outsider groups that cast their lot with him — from working-class ex-Democrats to antiwar conservatives to free-trade skeptics to build-the-wall immigration hawks to religious conservatives fearful for their liberties — have seen him pick very few difficult fights on their behalf.

To working-class voters he promised a big infrastructure bill and better health insurance than Obamacare. But his legislative agenda has been standard establishment-Republican fare — spending cuts to pay for upper-bracket tax cuts, rinse, repeat.[jk- the house health care bill, the only legislative item i recall that he made any effort to support, throws his working class supporters under the bus. it is mostly a tax-cut-for-the-rich in disguise, coupled with spending reductions to allow for further tax cuts later in the guise of "reform."]

To critics of American military adventurism he promised an end to Libya and Iraq-style interventions, a rebalancing toward Moscow, perhaps even a shake-up of NATO’s architecture. But he’s mostly handed foreign policy over to his military advisers (a pretty deep-state group, as such things go), which means that so far it resembles Obama’s except with more cruise missiles and saber-rattling.

(snip)

As a populist he’s a paper tiger, too lazy to figure out what policies he should champion and too incompetent and self-absorbed to fight for them.

So he’s not being dogged by leaks and accusations because he’s trying to turn the Republican Party into a “worker’s party” (he isn’t), or because he’s throwing the money-changers out of the republic’s temples (don’t make me laugh), or because he’s taking steps to reduce America’s role as policeman of the world (none are evident).

No, he’s at war with the institutions that surround him because he behaves consistently erratically and inappropriately and dangerously, and perhaps criminally as well.

Or perhaps not: All of this may still not rise to the level of impeachable offenses. But the conservatives rising to his defense need to recognize that there is no elite “counterrevolution” here for them to resist, because there is no Trump revolution in the first place.

You don’t want to sell him out to the establishment; I get it. But open your eyes: He’s already been doing that to you.

{jk-emphasis added}
            -----------

jk note-
            has trump done anything, even proposed anything, that would help those left behind by globalization? if so, i must have missed it, and would appreciate someone pointing it out.

Last edited by jk; May 21, 2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post

jk note-
              has trump done anything, even proposed anything, that would help those left behind by globalization? if so, i must have missed it, and would appreciate someone pointing it out.

$110-350 billion in arms deals:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...141943494.html

That's a fair few high value, high skill blue collar jobs protected and/or grown.

I don't like it, but it's the most common and consistent petro-dollar recycling programme the US has with the GCC.

Although it would be nice to be able to ring fence some of the tax derived from those deals to invest in further accelerating TECI energy independence and next generation energy.

Comment

i don't think high tech defense workers were ever the victims of globalization.

as for locations, these businesses are not bringing jobs to the rust belt or coal country.

top 4 general defense contractors are lockheed, boeing, bae systems and raytheon- see below for info on their locations.
                top shipbuilders are general dynamics and huntington ingalls- with their shipyards presumably located near the water.

here's the top of the list for boeing defense locations:
                • Huntsville, Alabama (Spacelab, International Space Station, Delta)
                • Mesa, Arizona (AH-64, AH-6i)
                • Anaheim, California.
                • El Segundo, California (satellite complex: 601, 702)
                • Long Beach, California (C-17 until 2015)
                • Palmdale, California (Space Shuttle)
                • Pleasanton, California.

here's a map for lockheed:
                http://m.lockheedmartin.com/content/...ons-Map-US.pdf

bae systems has a few facilities in flyover country:

• BAE Systems Platforms & Services HQ, 2000 North 15th Street, 11th Floor, Arlington, Virginia 22201 USA
                  +1 703 907 8200
                • BAE Systems Weapon Systems, 3317 8th Avenue, Aberdeen, South Dakota 57401 USA
                  +1 605 226 2704
                • BAE Systems Combat Vehicles, 15 Windham Boulevard, Aiken, South Carolina 29805 USA
                  +1 803 643 2500
                • BAE Systems Combat Vehicles, 2101 W. 10th Street, Anniston, Alabama 36201 USA
                  +1 256 237 2841
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, 8500 Heckscher Drive, Jacksonville, Florida 32226 USA
                  +1 904 251 3111
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, 1936 Bailey Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida 32228 USA
                • BAE Systems Weapon Systems, 163 Rochester Drive, Louisville, Kentucky 40214 USA
                  +1 502 364 5797
                • BAE Systems Protection Systems, 120 McCammon Ridge Road, Highway 421, McKee, Kentucky 40447 USA
                  +1 606 287 8361
                • BAE Systems Weapon Systems, 4800 East River Road, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55421 USA
                  +1 763 571 9201
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, Main Gate, Dunlap Drive, Mobile, Alabama 36652 USA
                  +1 251 690 7100
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, 750 West Berkley Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23523 USA
                  +1 757 494 4000
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, Cushing Street, Dry Dock Number 4, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii 96810 USA
                  +1 808 423 8888
                • BAE Systems Combat Vehicles, 1100 Bairs Road, York, Pennsylvania 17405 USA
                  +1 717 225 8000
                • BAE Systems Protection Systems, 7822 S. 46th Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85044 USA
                  +1 602 643 7233
                • BAE Systems Ship Repair, 2205 East Belt, Foot of Sampson Street, San Diego, California 92113 USA
                  +1 619 238 1000
                • BAE Systems Combat Vehicles, 6331 San Ignacio Ave., San Jose, California 95119 USA
                • BAE Systems Combat Vehicles, 34201 Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights, Michigan 48312 USA
                  +1 586 795 2220

raytheon: hard for me to get a list. try this link- it's pretty much all east coast, west coast, gulf coast, arizona and colorado:
                http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...theon,_and_TRW
                Last edited by jk; May 21, 2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/11/an...dministration/

President Trump during his campaign promised to “put our miners back to work.” That promise was at least partially fulfilled since the Corsa Coal Company opened, making it the first American corporation to open a new coal mine in six years.
                  Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

The US’s first new coal mine in years, heralded by president Donald Trump as a fulfillment of campaign promises, will employ 70 people, according to Fox News. That’s significantly fewer than the 92 jobs created by the opening of one American supermarket on average (based on 2015 numbers from industry groups and and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics).The Acosta mine, owned by Corsa Coal Company, opened June in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Trump referenced the open-pit mine during his June 1 speech announcing his decision to withdraw the US from the international Paris agreement on climate change, the Associated Press notes.
                    “When I ended the ‘war on coal,’ I said I would put our incredible miners—and that’s what you are, incredible—back to work,” Trump said in a video message that played at the mine’s opening ceremony.
                    Corsa Coal Company CEO George Dethlefsen told Fox News that 400 people applied for the 70 positions available at the mine.

Source here
                    https://qz.com/1004295/the-first-new...e-supermarket/

Comment

Working...
                    X