Is the FED about to collaspe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the FED about to collaspe?

I know EJ in his latest (& outstanding) post has given the FED to 2014 max, but i think its on its way sooner..

1st we are told "Tapper", then yesterday "Paper"......now "Tapper" again!
    Elizabeth Duke has baled, Dick Fisher is about to.........i think we are at crittical mass.

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has covered world politics and economics for 30 years, based in Europe, the US, and Latin America. He joined the Telegraph in 1991, serving as Washington correspondent and later Europe correspondent in Brussels. He is now International Business Editor in London. Subscribe to the City Briefing e-mail.

Gold markets have jumped the gun of Bernanke climb-down

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard Economics Last updated: July 11th, 2013
    41 Comments Comment on this article

Be very careful.

Ben Bernanke has not retreated from monetary tightening. The Fed is still on track to start tapering bond purchases as soon as September. There has been no volte-face.

The plunge in the US dollar since Ben Bernanke made his confused comments last night – and the $40 surge in the price of gold – is likely to be reversed in short order.

He did of course say that "highly accommodative monetary policy for the foreseeable future is what’s needed in the US economy", and he is certainly right about that.

The broad U6 measure of US unemployment jumped in June from 13.8pc to 14.3pc. Stephen Lewis from Monuments says this is biggest increase since 2009. The number working part-time – by compulsion, not choice – rose by 322,000 in a single month.

I might add that Taper Terror has already done this to 30-year mortgage rates (courtesy of Paul Krugman):

Which in turn has led to this slump in Wall Street's home builders index, a leading gauge of the housing market.

The world economy remains flat on its back, which is why the IMF has just cut its forecast yet again and slashed its growth figure for Brazil, South Africa, and India, among others.
    BNP Paribas said this morning that the trade data from Asia has been nothing short of disastrous. I notice that Morgan Stanley now thinks China's growth rate may have a "5 handle" on it by next year. If so, the world is going to have very different feel.

What we have is serious debacle unfolding in the world yet again. The Fed has delivered a global credit shock with its taper talk, pushing up yields by 70 basis points at a time when deflation is gathering force. (Data from Sweden today shows that it is now in outright deflation, along with Switzerland, Spain, Greece, and Cyprus. While China has been in producer price deflation for 18 consecutive months).

The net effect is that global real rates have been rocketing. That is hardly auspicious for equities. It is deadly for gold.

I certainly agree that if Bernanke were to back away from QE tapering, it would be highly significant. And he has good reason to so after the global bloodbath already caused by taper terror. But he did not do so yesterday.

He persisted with the line that tapering is not monetary tightening. He is trying to have his cake and eat it. He wants the extricate the Fed from QE without admitting to the markets what his real game is.
    He claims that interest rate policy and QE are different animals. He wants us to believe that money remains ultra-loose because rate are near zero.

Well excuse me, Chairman, but central banks conduct QE as a substitute for rate cuts once rates have hit the "zero bound", as he explained so eloquently in his November 2001 deflation speech. Ergo, the reverse holds true. To taper is to tighten, ceteris paribus. To reverse QE by selling bonds is to tighten further, even if rates are still zero.

As Milton Friedman explained long ago, it is perfectly possible for zero rates to be extremely tight, and that is exactly where we are today.

(As it happens, I agree that QE bond purchases outside the banking system – working through classical quantity of money effect – can work in an entirely different way from rate cuts. But this is not the argument that Bernanke has ever made. He is a "creditist" who views QE as a way of forcing down the long end of the credit curve.)

So what we have is a situation where the markets are taking his easy money talk at face value, but ignoring the hard money fist behind it.

Spooked by asset bubbles, the Fed is still hell-bent on winding down QE as soon as possible, and will try to do so unless the data is so awful that it is forced to backtrack.

Whatever happens, the great dollar rally seems likely to resume. Stephen Jen from SLJ Macro Partners says the ECB has been a "free-rider" on Fed stimulus until now. Finally it will have to do have to do some heavy lifting itself. The more the US tightens, the more Europe will have to loosen. And the more Europe loosens, the more the Fed will tighten, so the process will feed on itself.

That is an entirely new world, a world in which the US dollar is almighty once again (with nasty effects on China and many of the other 45 states linked to the dollar by pegs or dirty floats) and in which the euro comes all the way down parity (which is exactly what Europe needs, and should be welcomed). If the German bloc at the ECB tries to resist this, they will take EMU straight into a Japanese deflation trap. Indeed, they may have done so already.

So where does that leave with gold? You can certainly make bullish technical arguments. It has bounced off its support line around $1,200, the level where a lot of mines start losing real money. Near record short positions on Comex have created the springs for a vicious short squeeze, and therefore a powerful rally.
    But you have to be a brave man or woman to hold gold into a Fed tightening cycle and a dollar rally.

My guess is that the Fed will indeed to have to retreat from QE in the end, just as it had to back away from premature tightening after QE1 and QE2, but we are not there yet, and they will take longer to blink this time.
    First we have to go through a nasty squall. The Fed is in fixed-bayonet mood. It will pull back only once it becomes clear that tapering risks pushing the world from a contained depression into a full depression.

It would not surprise me if the Fed has to double-down on QE before this is all over. It may even have to go full throttle like the Bank of Japan. Then gold will shine again. But that is a story for another day.

Re: Is the FED about to collaspe?

Thanks...I feel oddly pleased by this information. I am being forced to wait for cash to buy gold in selling units in Los Angeles because of State regulations, and Probate nonsense, so I like the idea of lower gold prices for a while...I'd like to buy at $1150 if I could, since it not much above the cost to get it out of the ground. I'm not buying for speculation, exactly, except the long term macro play that will happen when people actually notice that despite demand reductions, and high oil prices that inflation in America is still there, and growing. And I like my insurance as cheap as I can get it.

Comment

From Zerohedge

Bernanke Loses Control of the Fed, the Markets, and His Legacy With Once Sentence

Submitted by Phoenix Capital Research on 07/11/2013 14:46 -0400

Ben Bernanke has lost any last shred of credibility he might have ever had.

The Fed no longer believes in QE. And for good reason. We’ve seen QE 1,2,3,& 4 and yet we’ve not seen any meaningful uptick in employment or GDP growth. Indeed, since Bernanke took the reins at the Fed we’ve not seen a single year of 3+% GDP growth.

In this light, several Fed members are no longer fans of QE. Some of them want it tapered soon. In fact HALF of them want QE STOPPED completely by the end of 2013.

And yet, Bernanke decided that despite this dissent, he should make a speech stating that “highly accommodative policy” should continue along with the usual claims that inflation is under control.

These were the words of one man, not the Fed.
      The markets exploded higher on Bernanke’s comments while the Dollar collapsed. And Bernanke now has a mutiny on his hands (one Fed Governor has already resigned in the last 24 hours).

Given that the Fed has been the primary driver of just about everything for the last five years, a fractured Fed is very bad news for the markets. Sure, we will see prices spike in the near term on Bernanke’s comments, but he has made it clear, point blank, that he has lost control of the market and really doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing.

This man knows only one thing: bubbles. Congratulations Bernanke, you’ve created an even bigger bubble than that of 2007. Your latest statements about providing liquidity have destroyed completely destroyed your credibility as Fed Chairman. And they’ve bought you at most a brief pause before this whole mess comes crashing down.

The entire environment feels just like 2007 again. The only difference is that this time everyone knows that we’re on shaky ground and has an eye for the exits. And in this mess, Bernanke announced nothing new, but simply stated that he remains a money printer.

For more market insights and Special Reports on preparing for the inevitable stock market bubble bursting, visit us at www.gainspainscapital.com

Best
      Graham Summers

Comment

I dont really get why gold holders even pay attention to whether or not Bernanke is doing QE or not. From what I've seen, there isn't much correlation between money printing and gold's price. Yes, they've both been "trending up" but that doesn't mean they have much to do with each other. The price of a Mcdonalds hamburger and the price of apple stock have both trended up over the last decade, but you wouldn't say that one was affecting the other. Over the last year or so, Ben has been printing like never before, and yet gold's price has continued to fall, so there really isn't a whole lot to be said about a relationship there. The real correlation I see to gold's price has always been oil. They don't just go up together, they move with each other up, down, or sideways almost in lock step fashion. That's a real correlation. Hanging on to the hope of more QE from Ben as a gold bug seems pointless to me

Comment

Bernanke’s uncertainty is merely a symptom of the increasing instability of the vast credit bubble he has created, that is about to burst with devastating consequences. You see, he built his recent statements upon false unemployment data (~ 19% instead of 7.6%) and now the IMF has blown the gaff, and he knows it. http://danielamerman.com/articles/2013/MultiplierC.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Coles View Post

Bernanke’s uncertainty is merely a symptom of the increasing instability of the vast credit bubble he has created, that is about to burst with devastating consequences. You see, he built his recent statements upon false unemployment data (~ 19% instead of 7.6%) and now the IMF has blown the gaff, and he knows it. http://danielamerman.com/articles/2013/MultiplierC.html
            I take some issue with the last part of that article

Now on the other side of this false dichotomy are those who many consider to be in the "gloom and doom" camp. They look at the economic statistics, they see what the US government is doing, and they conclude that the United States must be on the verge of collapse. Well, while that could certainly happen and with surprising speed, there is something else going on as well that is not being taken into account.
            That hole in the economy has been there for going on five years now, with the government not being able to pay its bills in any way shape or form if we look at things from a fiscal responsibility perspective – and with the private economy not being strong enough to support the spending that's necessary to keep the fiscal multiplier from kicking in.
            Yet here we are and the world hasn't ended. To the contrary, the shopping malls are full, real estate is soaring, the stock market is jumping, and interest rates are still quite low even with a nearly openly "bankrupt" country.
            Now perhaps the single most important financial question a person can ask then becomes, if the United States appears to be going through catastrophic economic problems, but we're not seeing it in the financial markets, and we're not seeing it in bread lines and massive open unemployment – then what the heck is actually going on?
            What is going on has to do with massive changes that have absolutely transformed this country, and which are the only reason we're still afloat four and a half years later.
            But these are not fiscal changes. These are not based on the way money used to work. These are not based on the way investments used to work.The US economy is still afloat, despite what's going on behind all the headlines and underneath the surface, because of unprecedented monetary and political changes that have already occurred, with even bigger changes likely to come.
            makes it sound like the U.S. is booming despite all the doom and gloomers is because it's somehow special. All the things he mentioned is due to money printing and food stamps, nothing really unique or unpresidented there. They've been printing money to solve problems since the early 70's, and the only reason they need to print a record amount now is because the economy grew (then collapsed) by record amounts. And food stamps have erased the need for bread lines. Only reason Greece couldn't do the same thing is because they don't have control of the money supply. I mean, I'm hoping that the author of this is paying attention to what is going on today with mortgage rates and T-bill rates once the fed even hints at tapering QE. Even stocks have been mostly a disappointment, as they've gone sideways for most of the decade, and haven't even caught up to old highs (inflation adjusted). If you happened to buy stocks at the bottom in 2008, that's great, but you could have bought gold at the begining (and i stress begining) of any year over the last decade from when the bull run began and you would be up today. To do well in stocks at all, you had to be a good bear market fisher. The consequences for what the U.S. has chosen to do has been playing out through a gradual reduction in reserve currency status, which is their most important trump card. And the more they do it, the quicker this process will accelerate. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it just irks me when analysts don't see this stuff
            Last edited by verdo; July 12, 2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by verdo View Post
              I take some issue with the last part of that article...makes it sound like the U.S. is booming despite all the doom and gloomers is because it's somehow special. All the things he mentioned is due to money printing and food stamps, nothing really unique or unpresidented there. They've been printing money to solve problems since the early 70's, and the only reason they need to print a record amount now is because the economy grew (then collapsed) by record amounts. And food stamps have erased the need for bread lines. Only reason Greece couldn't do the same thing is because they don't have control of the money supply. I mean, I'm hoping that the author of this is paying attention to what is going on today with mortgage rates and T-bill rates once the fed even hints at tapering QE. Even stocks have been mostly a disappointment, as they've gone sideways for most of the decade, and haven't even caught up to old highs (inflation adjusted). If you happened to buy stocks at the bottom in 2008, that's great, but you could have bought gold at the begining (and i stress begining) of any year over the last decade from when the bull run began and you would be up today. To do well in stocks at all, you had to be a good bear market fisher. The consequences for what the U.S. has chosen to do has been playing out through a gradual reduction in reserve currency status, which is their most important trump card. And the more they do it, the quicker this process will accelerate. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it just irks me when analysts don't see this stuff
              Yes, but that is the point of what Bernanke and the Fed have been doing, and will manage to do for a perhaps the end of summer, or even into the last quarter, but Bernanke is going to keep lying about this untill he can resign, and leave the mess to another. EJ has that happening in January 2014.

Everyone in the market wants the illusion of stability for a bit longer...the Banksters to maximise profit, the stock investors to take profits, and perhaps get out if they can, others going to Cash due to generalized deflation due to the real lack of growth in our economy.

I myself simply want to get my small inheritance (We're back into a 10 day, no contingencies cash purchase escrow today) into something that produces income, build my greenhouses, and insure my investments with gold. For me though, I only want to hold the majority of my gold position until inflation takes hold, oil prices rise, and gold becomes the place to put your case for safety and profit. Then, for me, it's sell all but 10% during the upper shoulder of the gold runup, and use the profits to buy what has dropped in value. And with Egypt, Oil Prices are already rising, and that will in the end effect Gold prices as much as it causes more slowing of the economy.

Bernanke, no matter how foolishly he is behaving by bleating out 'no tapering any time soon', is giving the market a little temporary if false stability for investors to reconfigure their portfolios in, as they brace themselves for QE infinity to stop flowing in 2nd qtr 2016, or even sooner. But I am also encouraged that the other Fed governors are seperating themselves from Bernanke. It would be nice to have a little saner financial policy coming out of the Fed.

I won't hold my breath though...I don't think they are really making any real policy anymore.

Comment

Hi Gang
                You know, apart from anything else i feel like Mr Spock.........."Yes Captain, its capitalisum, but not as we know it".
                I discuss this almost every day with my mate "Oz" since 2004..........we were both discussing this last night, we knew the FED was trapped in 2006.........& everyday day got deeper & deeper into this mess.

The British have a saying "When you are in a hole, stop digging! "............But the FED didn't.

I just wonder what total bulsh1t they will try to pull next?.........."Ben" is finished, but we still face the question we faced in 2004, is it going to be:-

A. Deflationly collaspe?
                B. Inflationly collaspe?

Knowing these wankers so well now, they try a bit of EVERYTHING......& get nothing!
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mega View Post
                  Hi Gang
                  You know, apart from anything else i feel like Mr Spock.........."Yes Captain, its capitalisum, but not as we know it".
                  I discuss this almost every day with my mate "Oz" since 2004..........we were both discussing this last night, we knew the FED was trapped in 2006.........& everyday day got deeper & deeper into this mess.

The British have a saying "When you are in a hole, stop digging! "............But the FED didn't.

I just wonder what total bulsh1t they will try to pull next?.........."Ben" is finished, but we still face the question we faced in 2004, is it going to be:-

A. Deflationly collaspe?
                  B. Inflationly collaspe?

Knowing these wankers so well now, they try a bit of EVERYTHING......& get nothing!
                  Mike
                  Both. Ka POOM!

You know this: Have ready cash to get through Ka. Have gold for POOM.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Working...
                  X