What do any of you think of Sapiens posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do any of you think of Sapiens posts

Do you think Sapiens is right? I can't make heads or tails of his posts. any thoughts comments. please help.

Re: What do any of you think of Sapiens posts

Originally posted by BillBoard View Post
    Do you think Sapiens is right? I can't make heads or tails of his posts. any thoughts comments. please help.
    Though he has denied it, I believe he is too cryptic. Whether that is a result inability to express himself with written English, or whether it has something to do with his self-annoited name, I don't know.

I personally think there are others that add a lot more than does Sap. to the understanding of anyone who reads here. I will grant Sapiens he is quite good at finding some worthwhile articles. He comes across to me seeming to wish to present himself at Mr. Cool. He may be, but his actual commentary does not bear that out when it comes to knowledge.

All any of us know about other posters is what comes across from what they write. If I am too tough on Sap., I am sorry.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
      Though he has denied it, I believe he is too cryptic. Whether that is a result inability to express himself with written English, or whether it has something to do with his self-annoited name, I don't know.

I personally think there are others that add a lot more than does Sap. to the understanding of anyone who reads here. I will grant Sapiens he is quite good at finding some worthwhile articles. He comes across to me seeming to wish to present himself at Mr. Cool. He may be, but his actual commentary does not bear that out when it comes to knowledge.

All any of us know about other posters is what comes across from what they write. If I am too tough on Sap., I am sorry.
      Jim, i am trying to understand sapiens post about holding cash. i called my bank and they were giving me a hard time. i can only withdraw 5000 at a time and they tell me they can hold my request upto 30 days. maybe sapiens is wrong and can keep my money in the bank with no problems. what you think?

Comment

Jim, i am trying to understand sapiens post about holding cash. i called my bank and they were giving me a hard time. i can only withdraw 5000 at a time and they tell me they can hold my request upto 30 days. maybe sapiens is wrong and can keep my money in the bank with no problems. what you think?
        Don't tell me I answered the wrong question. Not uncommonly do I do that--part of being an old fart.

Personally I think taking Sap. literally to even vaguely consider taking all one's wealth and putting it into currency and into your or anyone's elses safe is foolishness. That would not be true if one only had a few bonars, but then that wouldn't be important to begin with.

As much as I hate to trust anyone when it comes to money, in our US system I think you must gather the willpower to trust some entities to some degree.

It does not bother me at all to have my money in a Schwab money market fund, and I don't have a half million parked in even a treasury money market fund, just a regular basic money fund.

I hope I understood you question this time.
        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

(I'm canadian so I probably can't speak to your state) but I've withdrawn $20,000 before - as a draft, not fifty and hundred dollar bills.

I've heard of requirements that the bank notify the government above a certain amount of cash withdrawal

And I've heard of the bank putting a hold on funds when you deposit a cheque (ONLY on the funds from that cheque) before you can withdraw the money from that cheque.

But you're telling us they're refusing to give you your money? That's been there for more than a week or 2?

And it's not some kind of time-specific certificate?

if it's your money and it's a regular bank deposit account they have to give it to you - money order, certified cheque, cash, bank draft, whatever -

Phone around and ask other banks - find one that'll give you cash, close the account at your current bank and do an electronic funds transfer or bank draft.

We don't know what your bank is into, so we can't answer this.

I think Weiss ratings publishes a list of "safe " banks that are only invested in safe investments and don't take too much risk.

Comment

Don't cross any borders or get stopped by any cops carrying that kind of cash, though - I don't know if they're still allowed to confiscate it on sight, suspecting drug deals.

In my case The US guards at Buffalo once threatened to confiscate $600 Canadian (about $50 US at that time, ha ha ha ;) ;) ;()

Comment

I honestly don't know if Sapiens is doing this - but a common tactic by those in a position of authority is deliberate vagueness.

This common political tactic lets you be fully flexible later on for claiming credit, avoiding blame, etc.

That said, from what I've seen Sapiens is just cagey.

Comment

Billboard -

About Sapiens? Well ... Sapiens is Sapiens, permanently unsatisfactory in his response to pleas for a reply in plain English. He doesn't do pedestrian "explanations", 'cause he's "The Oracle". Alternately smart and maddeningly obscure, with little or no accountability. I have no idea if it adds up or not.

But the real point is there are a lot of other really odd characters around here too.

Here's just a handful, in absolutely no rational order:

> Tet. "Tet is Tet" (somebody advised me this was an explanation for the guy - but I think he's got a bit of Attila the Hun in his genealogy cause he's like a land mine)
                > Mega is a total end-of-the-world maverick, with freaked out posts reminding us like a prophet about our Mad Max future (wierdly, he's also reputedly a a Winston Churchill / Margaret Thatcher fan! Go figure).
                > C1ue efficiently posts rational replies everywhere like a robot with a mind like a steel trap, while racking up iTulip monopoly money credits like a slot machine on autodrive.
                > Lobodelmar - hangs back while occasionally offering stunningly counterintuitive yet rational investment advice which those most in need of enlightenment duly ignore.
                > Spartacus discreetly posts everywhere displaying how much he knows about every conceivable topic under the sun (gives C1ue a run for his monopoly money)
                > JK - riffs quietly and in the background to some rigorously articulated Thelonious Monk jazz melody in his head - offering us a quiet heads-up about our impending catastrophes - this guy is a real bear and regularly depresses me when I want to enjoy some upbeat fantasy for a bit of relief.
                > Finster - wants to strap you into a compressed 3 week course in graduate level economics and blast you off the ground on an experimental nitro rocket while observing with clinical detachment to see if you survive the trip without executing a splat upon landing
                > Bart - neatly lines up the numbers demonstrating why we are all screwed and then sits back to observe us like guinea pigs (BTW, these two are wierd brainy types)
                > Bill - One of those crusty, "old school" inner iTulip circle guys (jeez what I gotta put up with!). Probably some kind of former Suit? He's in my face, but I gotta hand it to the guy he's smarter than the "young Turks" ( well maybe Aaron Krowne and DanielLCharts keep up ). Put your best foot forward with this Bill guy and see if he chews off your arm off or not! What can I say? Maybe the zoo-keepers fed him before you showed up and he's not hungry? Could be he's one of the milder Ambassadors, and not one of those red meat eating Centurions?. Take your chances. Who the hell knows with these iTulip creatures?
                > Jim Nickerson - well that guy is hard to put in a nutshell, but he's from Texas so you gotta give him some room - he's like a proctor around here 'cause he's keeping an eye on everyone (lately he bugs me)
                > Rajiv is your classic over-educated fencing-rapier-intellect-type-guy (keeps C1ue and Spartacus diligently checking their facts, which is a good thing as they would get opinionated otherwise) - occasionally given to bouts of haunting poetry in his prose. Maybe he's some kind of communist because normal people aren't supposed to do poetry
                > Rick Bishop is this shadowy paranoid character with a checkered past in the hedge fund industry? (he's wierd too, and very reclusive)
                > Raja is Mr. Rational - pesky guy who always wants to nail the logical issue down to the floor with screwed down lag bolts. His avatar is gambling dice but I get the sense he's the last person here to gamble on anything? I bet he's an accountant, the way he talks about bonds.
                > QuigleyDoor is this ethereal software engineer living up in Brahmin New England with a humanistic streak in his persona a mile wide (avatar looks like some kind of throwback to British rockers from the 1960's ferchrissakes)
                > Glacial is a former lurker now intrepidly walking into the "live zoo" area here (don't feed the animals or you'll lose a hand!) and offering comments as to how the Fed can finesse it's gargantuan debt with maneouvers worthy of Charles Ponzi - (evidently he's had direct experience of the "three card monte" somewhere in his checkered past)
                > Metalman is reputedly one of the guys (of dubious character) that bust out of Alcatraz with Clint Eastwood - I suspect he never really reformed and a Frisco parole officer is said to be wandering around still looking for him.
                > Medved is some guy who comes and goes, who you can never pin down into an "ism" cause he's always posting "out of the box" without any identifiable ideological stance (very frustrating cause you don't know if he's left or right ferchrissakes)
                > Da Bear is very gifted but one suspects he was fed some LSD or Amphetamines in his developmental years and forced to read the Wall Street Journal and the Economist instead of pursuing ordinary teenage hobbies (he's wierd)
                > DanielLCharts is a freaking genius who went away somewhere and hasn't come back
                > Aaron Krowne is another freaking genius who's wandered off to pick fights with real estate shills (we should help him out, as they are slimy)
                > Christoph Von Gamm is this upper crust guy from Germany who posts extremely smart summaries (rarely - because he's an IBM exec and has to keep up corporate appearances and not be associated with this rabble crowd.)
                > WDCRob scores off the charts on the kind of common sense and human approachability many of us lack (yeah, Jim Nickerson's got some of that too - but he bugs me, so that's different)
                > Andreuccio projects the image of one of those really smart well balanced guys with his feet planted firmly on the ground - sounds all-American - but his name sounds kinda foreign? An Eyetie I bet, so he can't be any good. They're all communists.
                > Hoodoo is a man with a conscience who does not like to get pigeonholed into any stereotype - I think he takes us all more seriously than we deserve so when we offer dumb reactionary answers he's nonplussed.
                > Moe Gamble up and went away - maybe if we all yell out "Moe - come back! He'll come back? I don't know who the hell he thinks he is just abandoning us like that! Someone should look him up over at the Oil Drum and haul him back here for a bit of diversity ! (Yeah - I need some help to re-educate this bunch of stick-in-the-muds!)
                > Uncle Jack hangs back and is self-effacing - known to make trenchant remarks from time to time - he's a financial professional so he has to maintain an air of sobriety and not get too closely associated with this crowd 'cause we are a rabble. Same professional predicament as Christoph Von Gamm. We might kill their reputable business by disreputable rabble assocation.
                > Flow5 is authoritative and esoteric to the point of sweeping everyone off the deck except maybe Bart, who seems to relish the tangle (let them have at it, I say, and may the rest of us survive the arcane discussion without frying our synapses!)
                > Charles Mackay appears periodically - like a smoky apparition summoned by Aladin's Djinn-Lamp out of a time-warp from Dickensian times. This one is ethereal, like a smoky apparition!
                > Grapejelly has enough of the pinched, hardened skeptic in him to be a Yankee from New England, 'cept I figure he's from somewhere else (haven't figured out where yet). This guy does not like anyone to yank his chain - has been known to bite, so approach with caution. Oh, and the guy knows all about what's up with gold (which a lot of others dont!).
                > JimmyGu sounds a bit like a hardened sceptic but occasionally lets it slip that he's really got a bit of the patriot and straight arrow in him (we can't be fooled, he's a hidden idealist!)
                > DemonD is this really smart guy from Harvard that works in healthcare but digs sin stocks like Altria. He's one of the iTulip centurions so remember to always say something nice about iTulip around him or he'll take a bite out of you.
                > Friendly Jacek - everybody likes Friendly_Jacek and he's mister easy-going - but make sure you don't put one over on him with loose facts cause he'll nail you right down to the floor on it with drywall screws. Doesn't seem to tolerate playing loose with facts.
                > Buconero - ( ?? Who ?? ) nobody's ever heard a peep from this guy - just some name on the lists - Italian sounding moniker translates as "black hole" - so he probably works for the SISDE, Italian intelligence sevice, and is collecting data on us for no good purpose.
                > BlackVoid - "Limits to Growth" guy like me - he 'went away" because iTulip people were too dumb to get the concept. I'm too dumb to know when it's time to leave, otherwise i'd be where BlackVoid went .. somewhere else ...
                > DBarberic - another one of these Slav guys with the treacherous steel trap minds? Asks tricky leading questions? Only this one's a maverick - reads politically suspect places like the Oil Drum and Financial Sense. Sounds like an iTuliper, but you can't be sure. He's one of those dangerous "free-thinkers" about enegy depletion, with that tiresome Lutheran perspective (me too - I'm seeing my shrink next week for some more meds to cure it!).
                > Renewable - has the petrodollar thoroughly sussed out. Argues with Tet fruitlessly on the topic.
                > ToddPW - like Renewable he's just downright unpatriotic in his assessment of what makes the dollar the world's rightful reserve currency. These guys will never pass muster in the US Army! They simply won't take any orders to think patriotically!
                > Unlucky - people like him betting constantly and determinedly against the USD are making the Fed's job just harder and harder! Why won't they get in line and back the Fed, realising it's their duty as Americans? And who is that dreadful Ron Paul guy these subversives are backing?
                > JohngaltFla - totally up to speed on the Gold question. This guy will be at the head of the que collecting payola because he figured out how, what, where, when and why to 'pick up his "paycheck" for having the wisdom and patience to wait.
                > Spunky - Zoned out FOREX trader, probably collecting a nice payola. Guy is also thoroughly clued in on gold, like Grapejelly and JohngaltfFla. These guys are the ones that run circles around everyone else discussing "theory". They are very much "show me da payola" type guys.
                > Outback Oracle - not to be confused with Sapiens, the Delphic Oracle - Outback is Aussie - so these guys are a pirate breed unto themselves. Probably some disreputable Mark Twain riverboat gambler with a software engineer's degree, stuck out in the middle of Alice Springs, central Australian high desert, looking to kickstart some disreputable Uranium company after walking away from a respectable restaurant biz.
                > Vancouvergoinup!!! - Where'd that guy go? a fearless Vancouver housing bull among a bunch of (mostly American) jaded, sour-tempered housing bears ...
                > Fred - he's the administrator? He's the guy that runs this place - tirelessly re-inserting pacifiers into the drooling, squawking gobs of all the over-grown babies who are periodically brawling around here (fair disclosure - includes me when I fall off my Kaiser health plan medications). This is not a very well behaved community unfortunately.
                > E.J. - He's the guy who coughed up the big bucks to put this entire squalling community online. Nobody can figure out why he did it. Has been known to publish some rather dour prognistications regarding the US's future, including something best described as "crash forecasts"? He does not think we are going to come to a good end, so we are making merry and exchanging insights into our sorry plight in the meantime just to let the world know we are not as stupid as the Government and CNBC thought, and are fully aware of our impending fate.

As you see, there is so much noise going on here it's difficult to differentiate Sapiens from any of the other characters in this fractious community. Everyone's putting in their two cents. You get to pick and choose who you take seriously. When it comes to your wallet, as I can attest from this past week's miserable experience, at least that E.J. guy may be worth a read for some actionable updates.

[IMG]file:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Stationery/images/misc/progress.gif[/IMG]
                Last edited by Contemptuous; August 17, 2007, 01:15 AM. Reason: INCLUSION

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
                  Billboard -
                  Don’t forget,
                  > Lukester, Fastest Typist in the west, needs to type out 3 pages to get a 3 sentence point across. Could work as a online text message representative for any company in the world and no one even in the entire country of India could beat his performance. I would need Dragon Naturally Speaking software 2015 edition with A.I. just to keep up.

Comment

Billboard -

As you see, there is so much noise going on here it's difficult to differentiate Sapiens from any of the other characters in this fractious community. Everyone's putting in their two cents. You get to pick and choose who you take seriously. When it comes to your wallet, as I can attest from this past week's miserable experience, at least that E.J. guy may be worth a read for some actionable updates.
                    Very interesting analysis.

No one has a monopoly on the truth. It's the range of intelligent, thoughtful opinion, respectfully expressed, that makes this place work.

Huge range of risk tolerances here, too. Here we are in the early innings of a once in a generation structural realignment of the financial and economic world, and we got some guys trying to figure out how to get cash out of the bank and under the mattress and others trying to figure out how to grab a few more nickels from in front of the steamroller.

Awesome!

And then we got TheStreet.com for some reason getting their shorts in a knot about our videos that make fun of Cramer

Who said the end of the financial world as we know it wasn't going to be entertaining?
                    Ed.

Comment

Fred -

<< And then we got TheStreet.com for some reason getting their shorts in a knot about our videos that make fun of Cramer >>

Time to firm up the fractious iTulip ranks and submit a series of individual iTulip reader observations telling Cramer & compagnie precisely what we've obseved of his outfit this past year!

When you get such contentious and specious challenges it's evident someone is feeling under considerable stress, and are not taking their bruised positions in a sporting way!

I lost ten percent of my net worth this week, but rather than look for someone to blame, I'm employing calm rationality, distinguishing those who were talking sense from those who made a lot of noise and spoke no sense at all for the past year on the underlying issues!

Cramer needs to spend a solitary weekend at home alone, in what I think Presbyterians and Methodists call "seclusion"? He needs to spend that time reviewing tapes of all his public statements for logical consitency!

It is my privilege as a private individual to advise this outfit their complaints are full of hot air!

Comment

Bart - neatly lines up the numbers demonstrating why we are all screwed and then sits back to observe us like guinea pigs.

Great stuff, had me laughing a lot.

If you only knew... Bwua..ha..ha..ha!

I'm a retired old phart, ex geek, ex business owner, ex consultant, '60s survivor Midwesterner who was temporarily transplanted into the LA area and masquerades as a mild mannered economics reporter and Excel freak for a great web site... and the rest is too gruesome to mention publicly...
                        http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                          And then we got TheStreet.com for some reason getting their shorts in a knot about our videos that make fun of Cramer
                          How about an email address where we can sent our objections to YouTube over the withdrawal?
                          raja
                          Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

About Sapiens? Well ... Sapiens is Sapiens, permanently unsatisfactory in his response to pleas for a reply in plain English. He doesn't do pedestrian "explanations", 'cause he's "The Oracle". Alternately smart and maddeningly obscure, with little or no accountability. I have no idea if it adds up or not.
                            Lukester,

You are a funny guy. Quite right, I don't do pedestrian explanations.

---

BillBoard,

Originally posted by BillBoard
                            i called my bank and they were giving me a hard time. i can only withdraw 5000 at a time and they tell me they can hold my request upto 30 days.
                            Makes my point. Anyhow, what do you think would happen if many people where trying to go liquid within your bank?

---

Originally posted by Spartacus
                            if it's your money and it's a regular bank deposit account they have to give it to you - money order, certified cheque, cash, bank draft, whatever -
                            Read the fine print for the conditions on how they may return your money. Also, money order, certified cheque, bank draft, is NOT the same as Physical Printed Cash.

Cheers,

-Sapiens

Comment

Billboard,

See this other post: http://www.itulip.com/forums/showpos...11&postcount=1

Best regards,

-Sapiens

Comment

Working...
                              X