X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another one bites the Dust!

Originally posted by Pukester View Post
    Metalman -

Not sure who you suggest is selling something. But if you were referring to me:

What in goodness name do you imagine I'd be selling you, as though I were a shill on "someone else's sales team"? What? I'm digging down into my pockets searching for anything I might have for sale!

Are you joking, or merely appeasing Jim, who seems to have stoked himself up into a state of rage here?

And how in goodness name do you imagine I was being anything but friendly to you, as I've clearly offered you some praise here and even apologized for calling you out on a slightly nasty, ill advised comment of yours (not mine!) to Mega?

Seems now Jim criticizes you for not telling me to F*** off - just because I suggested it was a cheap shot to make mean little jokes about someone else's measly spelling errors??

Just who is being petty here? Seems I am the one who is upholding the idea that it's demeaning to make petty jokes out of nothing at other's expense just because you may be having a bad hair day?

As soon as you clarified it, I only offered you respect for being forthright, and I've explained to you that Mega from what I've understood, has put himself through engineering school and is a self made man, and that the little self-congratulatory bit of humor transposing "manure" for "mature" was a stupid jibe on a good man!

So please enlighten me - why in goodness name would anyone here paint me as the "bad" person in all this? And just what is it you imagine I'm selling, to you, Jim, or the entire iTulip community? Peanuts? Gold paper certificates? Tell me what I'm selling you here, so I can practice my sales pitch some more!

All I suggested was that poking cheap humor at someone else's spelling error is a cheap shot - to which you promptly and admirably agreed. I then told you I admire that quality in you, because it speaks of honesty.

Seems to me Mr. Nickerson is the one wishing to cause animosity here, because he's deeply offended that I told him yesterday that if you make a permanent ethic out of expressing fashionable cynicism, as with unfortunate remarks to the effect that "less population would be a good thing" about the world's poor going hungry or starving if oil goes to $150 a barrel, then you risk waking up one day with a hole where your conscience should be.

And guess what - that's true!

The fact is of course, that Jim isn't really callous at all, but was just adopting an empty rhetorical posture to disagree with me. Which one of us is going to stand and openly say "I don't give a shit" at TV images of tens of thousands starving? No-one! Or if they are going to stand up and say such stupid, flippant things and really mean it, they are a far greater twit than anyone here I can imagine at present.

Posturing on iTulip that one does not give a shit about millions starving, because "nothing can be done about it" is rubbish. It's nonsense. One can be cynical, but one needs to have some bit of care - at least a tiny scrap, to be human.

As far as Jim is concerned, I committed the unpardonable sin to his pride to point all of this out. What a load of baloney! He put himself into a dumb rhetorical box (I didn't, he did!) and now succumbs to hostility towards me for pointing it out?

How much intelligence or independence of thought is there in this community to step aside from clubby little loyalties and pursue the simple truth when debates get this stupid?

I'm not selling a damn thing to either you, Mega, Jim Nickerson or anyone else here but statements of the obvious (otherwise known as truth) if you want to play along with Mr. "All Grown Up" Nickerson on this as he cheers for someone to mix it up with me due to his poorly reflected remarks yesterday, then go right ahead - I can only express my regrets at the compounded folly, which will begin to get downright comical.

If the moderator has interest, perhaps they might read carefully through this thread (putting aside any partiality) and acknowledge my comment regarding Mega was probably on the right side of the pettiness question, and yours and Jim's weren't? Everything else I said to you was in the way of friendliness and praise!

I have little respect for stupid ragging when there is no real issue being discussed. If people are in a thorny discussion on something significant - like issues that affect major ideas put forward on this site, then one might understand one or two barbed comments. But why sling nasty, uncalled for little word pun jabs at Mega when he's not ever said anything comparable to you?

Now look at Jim and who knows who else here - pasting all those silly little "red thumbs down" icons on this thread? Gee - do you suppose they are out to make me out to be the one displaying poor judgement ?
    Pukester,

It will be good if and when you can get over being full of yourself.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
      Now look at Jim and who knows who else here - pasting all those silly little "red thumbs down" icons on this thread? Gee - do you suppose they are out to make me out to be the one displaying poor judgement ?
      The anonymous thumbs-up/thumbs-down voting system applies to threads posted to the News forum. As the News forum is the most frequently updated, the voting system was added to help members quickly identify threads which other members like or don't like. This thread, for example, has been voted to a -3. Other threads are +1, +2, etc.
      Ed.

Comment

Fred -

Personally, I've never used the voting system anywhere. But I do see a few people are enjoying themselves here.

You have no comment on people making a little bit of sport with spelling errors in someone else's posts? Just a bit of harmless fun (self-congratulation). Can we all give it a try?

Perhaps if more of us Americans greeted foreign nationals with clever puns about their spelling, we would risk giving the world the impression we were merely dunces?

I don't think that of Metalman. In fact, I admire his good intentions because he's the first to retract it, and actually comes off looking like a good guy.

But what about someone applauding this silly lttle indulgence to soothe their various other irritations? How upstanding is that?

No comments? I'm wondering who is voting here, and what they are disapproving of exactly.

Comment

Working...
        X