X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step forward, 2 steps back: Government to go Sallie Direct

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUK71CMT3J.DTL

The good news: One layer of FIRE being cut out of student loans

The bad news: The government is now running the program with nearly the same interest rates. A new profit center?

Enforcement of repayment with loan extension in the same entity? What could possibly be wrong with that?

Feds take over student loan program from banks
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010

President Obama will sign a bill today that ends a 45-year-old program under which banks and other private-sector lenders such as Sallie Mae receive a federal subsidy for making government-guaranteed college loans.

Instead, the U.S. Department of Education - which already makes roughly a third of these loans through its direct-lending program - will make 100 percent of them starting July 1.
    The change will have a big impact on some lenders and colleges but relatively little on borrowers. They will continue to get the same loans - including Stafford loans for students and Plus loans for parents and graduate students - on largely the same terms.
    Students who previously had to choose a private-sector lender for their guaranteed loans will now have only one choice: the government.
    Banks can continue to make private, non-guaranteed college loans, but these are generally more expensive than guaranteed loans.
    With a single lender providing all guaranteed loans, some fear that customer service could deteriorate or that discounts once offered by private-sector lenders will disappear.
    On the upside, the interest rate on Plus loans is only 7.9 percent in the direct-loan program versus 8.5 percent in the bank program. Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Finaid.com, says the approval rate on Plus loans is also higher in the direct program.
    The rate on Stafford loans is the same in both programs.
    The change will not affect any loans made before July 1. Borrowers who already have bank loans and take out direct loans in the future will have a chance to consolidate them so they only need to make one payment.
    The government estimates it will save $61 billion over 10 years because it has a lower cost of funds than the banks it is replacing and won't have to pay them a subsidy. Some of that money will go toward Pell grants for needy students, community colleges and minority-serving colleges. The rest will go to other uses including deficit reduction and health care reform.
    Program history

Banks have been making government guaranteed loans under what is now called the Federal Family Education Loan Program, created in 1965.
    The Education Department didn't start making direct loans until 1994.
    Most colleges signed up with one of the two programs and offer students loans from that program only. The loans were essentially the same under both programs because the government sets the rates and terms.
    At times, borrowers could get bigger discounts on rates (contingent on timely payment) or origination fees from banks than on direct loans. Since the credit crisis hit, those discounts have largely evaporated.
    In 2006, direct loans accounted for about 20 percent of federally guaranteed loans.
    When credit dried up, private-sector lenders started backing away from this market and the government stepped in. The share of direct loans grew to 25 percent in fiscal 2008-09 and to 35 percent in the first half of 2009-10, Kantrowitz says.
    In reality, the government's role in the market has been much larger. Since mid-2008, it has been providing most of the capital that private-sector lenders used to make loans. After one year, the banks had a chance to either repay the capital or turn the loan over to the government. Most chose the latter.
    Colleges switch

Because of the credit crisis, many colleges have already switched from the bank program to the direct program.
    This year, 15 of the 23 California State University campuses participated in direct lending, five more than last year. The remaining eight campuses have made plans to adopt direct lending for 2010-11.
    Among University of California campuses, only San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles were in the bank program. They had made plans to switch to direct lending July 1 whether this bill passed or not, says Nancy Coolidge, the UC system's coordinator of student financial support.
    The Department of Education has always hired outside firms to service direct loans and will continue to do so after July 1. Some of these servicers are the same companies that originate student loans, such as Sallie Mae and Nelnet. When servicing direct loans, these companies are not allowed to use their own brand names or promote their own products.
    Coolidge says her only concern about the switch to 100 percent direct lending is whether Congress will continue to provide the funding needed to provide a high level of customer service, especially for loans in repayment, which often require a lot of personal assistance.
    Pell grants

The bill signed today, which includes changes to the health care bill signed last week, provides funding for Pell grants and indexes them to inflation starting in 2013.
    A previous bill increased the maximum Pell grant from $5,350 this school year to $5,550 next year. Because of the recession, more students than expected qualified for Pell grants "and there was a funding shortfall," Kantrowitz says.
    The new bill fills the funding shortfall. That ensures that the maximum Pell grant will be $5,550 next year and everyone who is eligible will get one. Starting in 2013-14, the maximum will be indexed to inflation for five years. Obama had proposed indexing the Pell grant to the inflation rate plus 1 percentage point but the final bill links it to the consumer price index only.
    The bill also makes changes to the new income-based repayment program, which helps borrowers who have large debts relative to their income.
    Under this program, loan payments are limited to 15 percent of discretionary income and any balance remaining after 25 years is forgiven. The new bill will limit payments to 10 percent of discretionary income and forgive balances after 20 years. But these changes only apply to loans taken out by new borrowers on or after July 1, 2014. They are not retroactive.
    Public-service workers on the income-based repayment plan can have their remaining balances forgiven after 10 years. That does not change under the new law.

Last edited by c1ue; March 30, 2010, 09:53 AM.

Re: One step forward, 2 steps back: Government to go Sallie Direct

Without student loans the College system we have built would now collapse. THE best definition of moral hazard. Let's put 18 year olds $125k in debt with little hope for a job to support a small number of people with salaries 4 times as big as they ought to be and pensions to match.

Comment

Originally posted by sunskyfan View Post
      Without student loans the College system we have built would now collapse. THE best definition of moral hazard. Let's put 18 year olds $125k in debt with little hope for a job to support a small number of people with salaries 4 times as big as they ought to be and pensions to match.
      agreed. is there any industry or avenue for pursuit of happiness which doesn't depend on feeding at the government trough?

Survey: how many folks can say that they're livelihoods are not in some way connected to government? Not me, but I'd sure wish I could and that is now a goal, although seem like it may be impossible if the gov keeps expanding into everything.

I know, I know, why can't I just be happy and get along with the system, and not be such a malcontent... (perhaps, just maybe it relates to thinking (or maybe wishful thinking);))

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUK71CMT3J.DTL

The bad news: The government is now running the program with nearly the same interest rates. A new profit center?

Enforcement of repayment with loan extension in the same entity? What could possibly be wrong with that?
        don't worry c1ue; looks like an opportunity to profit via online education, or if you're not that motivated, go back to school (while you're working on your business) and live on the dole for 4 years, and then default on your debt... everybodies doing it ...it's the new bubble don't ya know. The system needs us to spend spend, now, now; defaults are years down the road and we can deal with them then (if we're not dead or out of office):mad:

Comment

Originally posted by vinoveri
          don't worry c1ue; looks like an opportunity to profit via online education, or if you're not that motivated, go back to school (while you're working on your business) and live on the dole for 4 years, and then default on your debt... everybodies doing it ...it's the new bubble don't ya know.
          VV,

This strategy won't work. As I've mentioned before, student loans are unusual in that they cannot be discharged in any conventional way: bankruptcy, etc etc.

Furthermore the government already could garnish other payments like Social Security in order to recover outstanding debt.

Hence my point about the collection agency and the loan-er being the same...

Comment

VV,

This strategy won't work. As I've mentioned before, student loans are unusual in that they cannot be discharged in any conventional way: bankruptcy, etc etc.
            true enough under current law ( and I was being somewhat flip and facetious in my recommendation). The gov may change the rules in the future though.

I think however that debts will continue to be forgiven (as we have and are continuing to see), and the "run up debt and then default" strategy become an increasingly common paradigm, although perhaps the student loan route won't be the most popular.

As for the lender and collections-enforcer dual role, this would seem also to allow for the continued rolling over of the debt ... sort of like the GSEs, no accountability, fuzzy bookeeping, and debt forgiveness for the "most deserving" students, e.g., those who borrowed and blew $100k on Phoenix Online and four years of living expenses, and who now, through no fault of their own (b/c it's the gov responsibility to insure jobs) cannot find employment suitable for their needs and desires.

Comment

Originally posted by vinoveri View Post

those who borrowed and blew $100k on Phoenix Online and four years of living expenses, and who now, through no fault of their own (b/c it's the gov responsibility to insure jobs) cannot find employment suitable for their needs and desires.

That might be the most important point. Phoenix (and others) have turned student loans into just another racket to pass federal tax money into private hands. The racketeers understand that if the "students" are punished, students will become unwilling to participate and the river of tax payer money might dry up. The lobby for the racket will ensure there is no serious pain to students.

Comment

Hmmm,

Food - dept of ag, food stamps, fda, etc. etc.
                Clothing - dept of ag, OSHA, anything else I am forgetting.
                Shelter - FHA, freddy and fanny, HHS, IRS tax code
                Medicine - Medicare, medicaide, new obama care.
                Transportation - GM, Chrysler, Dept Trans, ICC,
                Education - sallie mae, Dept of Ed. no child left behind.
                Retirement - SSA, IRS, Banking regulations.
                Utilities/Energy DOE, ICC, motor fuels tax, others??
                Press - FCC, others??

What major household items do I purchase that there isn't major gvt regulation or taxation? Clothing seems to be only slightly regulated, Consumer electronics might have some energy/saftey compliance.

Hmm there are some scraps left, better pass a VAT to get those too.

Welcome to the free market komrade.

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
                  What major household items do I purchase that there isn't major gvt regulation or taxation?
                  Good list.

May I add:
                  • Illegal drugs - CIA (according to Mike Ruppert anyway.)

Hopefully you and I aren't in that market, but someone is.

This reminds me of that old saw about catching wild animals by putting out food and then gradually enclosing the food location with a fence.

I wonder what they have in store for us, once they latch that gate for the last time. Will we be gently tended domestic animals, or go directly to the food chain?
                  Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by sunskyfan View Post
                    Well said. And I say: If the college system cannot stand on its own - then let it collapse!!!

The whole thing has become a racket to support gross overcompensation; and for this we get tenured professors like Art Laffer and Ward Churchill.
                    Plus hundreds of thousands of 22 year olds placed into debt slavery, who would be far better served with a two-year program in a technical school.

Comment

Originally posted by Raz View Post

... 22 year olds placed into debt slavery, who would be far better served with a two-year program in a technical school.
                      Without an industrial base, what will the tech school grads do?
                      In days gone by they could be tool and die makers, or welders, or machinists. Can we run an economy by all of us standing in a circle and cutting the hair of the person on our left? Maybe it's a drive-in operation and we'll all fix each others' cars?:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by thriftyandboringinohio View Post
                        Without an industrial base, what will the tech school grads do?
                        In days gone by they could be tool and die makers, or welders, or machinists. Can we run an economy by all of us standing in a circle and cutting the hair of the person on our left? Maybe it's a drive-in operation and we'll all fix each others' cars?:confused:
                        As a consequence of (a) Peak [Cheap] Oil, and (b) the eventual replacement of the Bernanke Peso as the only world reserve currency we will have to rebuild at least part of our industrial base. It's not going to be easy or quick, but it will be forced upon us when the rest of the world no longer takes our confetti money for crude oil, aggregate, rare minerals, textiles, shoes, kitchen gadgets, etc.

On the other hand the young can continue to go to beautician schools, law schools, and state colleges to obtain degrees in sociology and ethnic studies. That'll work out just fine.:rolleyes:

Or maybe we can just give up, lie down and die.:confused:
                        Last edited by Raz; March 30, 2010, 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Raz View Post
                          As a consequence of (a) Peak [Cheap] Oil, and (b) the eventual replacement of the Bernanke Peso as the only world reserve currency we will have to rebuild at least part of our industrial base. It's not going to be easy or quick, but it will be forced upon us when the rest of the world no longer takes our confetti money for crude oil, aggregate, rare minerals, textiles, shoes, fitchen gadgets, etc.

On the other hand the young can continue to go to beautician schools, law schools, and state colleges to obtain degrees in sociology and ethnic studies. That'll work out just fine.:rolleyes:

Or maybe we can just give up, lie down and die.:confused:
                          Point taken, foul on me, excessive pessimism.

Comment

Originally posted by thriftyandboringinohio View Post
                            Point taken, foul on me, excessive pessimism.
                            My wife calls me a pessimist. I prefer to think I'm a realist.
                            But if I'm correct, isn't that scary?:eek:

Most of the time I tend to think as you did earlier.

Comment

This program is a step in the right direction. Forget the basic idea that parents should be saving for, and supporting their kid's education. There are limits built into the bill and limits on payback during the 25 year enforcement period. This is not the full recourse solution supported by the banking system.

Comment

Working...
                              X