X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Treasuries cracking now: "financial Krakatoa"

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    Maybe we should start a new thread?

The first step is to become a Permanent Resident. Several different options there, but the best one for most people is the Skilled Migrant program (that's what I did). Although you can get in without having a job, everything goes much faster and easier if you have a job offer at the time you apply.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Then, after you've lived here for five years, you can become a citizen. Gotta pay US income taxes in the mean time, unfortunately -- although the US does give you a credit for foreign taxes paid.

BTW, I know a number of commercial and private pilots in the area. I think the airport near me has three large helicopter companies, even though the area population is only about 60,000. Lots of flying for farmers, from what I understand. I've also heard a few good stories from farmers who bought and fly their own aircraft. One that comes to mind: "They keep telling me I should get insurance. I keep telling them that if I crash, I won't need insurance, and besides, no one wants to insure a guy like me who's in his eighties and flying helicopters."
    Cool I could hire out a PC-12 for charter (won't go where a helo will, but pretty much every where else)

Comment

Originally posted by jtabeb View Post
      Cool I could hire out a PC-12 for charter (won't go where a helo will, but pretty much every where else)
      I'm sure a PC-12 wouldn't be too hard to find.

Air Nelson mostly seems to use the Bombardier Q300. There are also some Beech 1900Ds around. The local flight club has a nice Grumman GA-7 Cougar. Various turboprops and small jets can be chartered from nationwide outfits like Flight Corp.

Comment

Gun ownership is legal. Plenty of hunters in NZ. They do require a license, which involves a basic safety test. Pistols take more work; you need to belong to an authorized "pistol club," and go in regularly to practice. All guns are required by law to be stored under lock and key.

The best one is probably http://www.realestate.co.nz/

PAL. 240V. I brought a bunch of transformers with me to run my old 110V gear, including a stereo. They work great. They have Sky TV for satellite, including HD.

A few other tidbits that I've mentioned in other threads:

-- The legal system is based on Common Law, but it much more relaxed than in the US about most things. For example, typical contract to buy a house is about 4 pages long. People are not rewarded by the courts for being stupid or for having bad luck (no multi-million dollar settlements for spilling hot coffee on yourself; you'd more likely be laughed out of court).
        -- Property taxes are low. I pay about 0.15% of the value of my house and land per year, vs. about 10 times that in California.
        -- Prostitution and gambling are legal here. The drinking age is 18. Driving age is 15.
        -- No capital gains tax applies to housing and stocks, too, although they do tax all overseas income like the US does.
        -- No estate / death taxes
        -- Insurance costs are very low. Health care is a combined socialized / private system. Cost to see a GP for a routine visit is about NZ$35 (US$22). Prescriptions are all subsidized -- usually pay a max of NZ$12 (US$8) for a typical course of meds. Home and car insurance is also relatively cheap.
        Sign me up!

Comment

Looks like NZ will become itulipstan!

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
            We could all pitch in for a communal home in Itulipstan! I will throw in my good looks and savvy. You guys throw in some money and I will call it even.

Depending on how things go, I might vacation there for a couple months come this September. And if it turns out to be a good choice, I might re-locate there. If any iTulipers want to meet up, I would be down! :cool:

Comment

I actually was very close to immigrating to NZ back in 2005. The process is not easy as a skilled migrant. Being a points system, taking age, profession, experience, etc into account. I finally made the "cut", but in the 6 months it took the gov't to decide that I was qualified to "apply" for the visa, I had realized I wasn't at a place in life where it made sense to move halfway around the world.

I still like the thought, but from my research (I'm sure the kiwis here can agree/dispute this statement) is that NZ is full of its own problems. They may be different, and better align with the type of life you're looking for, but sadly no place is perfect, nor immune to bad government or tyranny of the majority.

The funniest thing is that one of the folks I used to chat with on some message boards back then while looking to move is also a member here at iTulip (Hi Steve!). Small world and all that :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
                indeed...

...Prostitution and gambling are legal here....
                something fun for everyone!

Comment

if you do come to NZ will need to learn RUGBY , check out these sites..
                  http://betterrugbyrules.blogtown.co.nz/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/

http://www.allblacks.com/

ha ha

Comment

Guess I will need to hold out until September, when I receive a large sum of money, to travel to NZ. When are you planning on heading out, that is if you do, jtabeb?

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
                      Guess I will need to hold out until September, when I receive a large sum of money, to travel to NZ. When are you planning on heading out, that is if you do, jtabeb?
                      July 29 2011, that's when I go "free agent" from the USAF.

By that time, I might just buy a place for cash in NZ with capital gains tax free proceeds from some bullion. Might work out smashingly well.

I'm never been that good, but I am Damn Lucky (BULLSHIT luck) as my friends call it, tends to follow me during my life (NOT complaining, mind you). Of course according to them "Bullshit luck" includes buying Gold under $400, so maybe just maybe, I have a small part in making that luck.;)

Comment

Good luck, then! With any luck on my part, I might be joining you in September. :cool:

Comment

If you don't have a job offer in-hand, it can take about 9 months for a typical Skilled Migrant application to be approved. With an offer, I've heard they sometimes go through in as little as 30 to 45 days after you submit a final application (which you normally can't do for a month or two after you file an initial "Expression of Interest").

Once approved, you have 6 months to move here before your initial Residence Visa expires and you have to start the whole process over again. You need to spend something like 18 of the following 24 months in the country in order to remove the restrictions they place on your Residence Visa. You will also need to find a job in-country within the first 3 months that you're here, and to work at that job for at least 3 months after that.

One piece of advice I can offer on the job front: finding work is relatively easy if you're not too picky about how much you get paid. So take a low-paying job to get your foot in the door, and then move up after you get settled and have met the work requirements.

If you get to Nelson, send me a PM and we can meet for lunch.

Comment

If you don't have a job offer in-hand, it can take about 9 months for a typical Skilled Migrant application to be approved. With an offer, I've heard they sometimes go through in as little as 30 to 45 days after you submit a final application (which you normally can't do for a month or two after you file an initial "Expression of Interest").

Once approved, you have 6 months to move here before your initial Residence Visa expires and you have to start the whole process over again. You need to spend something like 18 of the following 24 months in the country in order to remove the restrictions they place on your Residence Visa. You will also need to find a job in-country within the first 3 months that you're here, and to work at that job for at least 3 months after that.

One piece of advice I can offer on the job front: finding work is relatively easy if you're not too picky about how much you get paid. So take a low-paying job to get your foot in the door, and then move up after you get settled and have met the work requirements.

If you get to Nelson, send me a PM and we can meet for lunch.

Following this thread with interest. Sharky, what was your main reason for moving and why Nelson in particular? (if i may ask)

Thanks for your antipodal insights.

The bar is low for me with my next move. I would be happy just not to have a seven month winter.
                            My educational website is linked below.

http://www.paleonu.com/

Comment

Yeah, thanks, Sharky!

I am not sure what I would do if I moved, but I am considering pursuing this work holiday scheme they have for people aged 18-30. You are able to get work in a number of fields without being a skilled worker. In addition, you are accorded the privilege to stay for up to 12 months. I might try to get a job at a farm or something.

Comment

Originally posted by rogermexico View Post
                                Following this thread with interest. Sharky, what was your main reason for moving and why Nelson in particular? (if i may ask)
                                My main reasons for moving were (in no particular order):
                                • To get away from the "proto-fascist" government (as EJ calls it) in the US. Too many arbitrary rules, escalating loss of freedom, escalating government intrusion into everything, oppressive tax system, companies that are in bed with government, etc. -- along with signs that it would be getting worse for the foreseeable future.
                                • To go someplace that hopefully wouldn't be affected as much by what I felt was going to be severe upcoming economic turmoil and depression (we made the decision to move in 2005).
                                • To go someplace better suited to semi-retirement in terms of cost of living, more relaxed lifestyle, smaller town feel, more outdoors/down-to-earth-oriented, etc.

We picked NZ and Nelson in particular because:
                                • English-speaking, familiar common law-based legal system, relatively similar Western values. Smallish government that isn't too invasive into people's lives. Kiwis still have the energy to stand up to the government when they try to do something stupid.
                                • We wanted to live by the water, which isn't affordable in California.
                                • Nelson has the most hours of sunshine of nearly anywhere in NZ (appx 2400 hrs/year -- similar to Florence, Italy and not too far from San Diego's 3000 hrs, in spite of our higher latitude)
                                • Nelson is relatively warm and dry compared to the rest of the country. We don't mind a little rain, but some areas get way too much for our taste. Even so, Nelson gets about 40 inches of rain per year. Parts of the north island are warmer, but they get more rain and less sun.
                                • NZ is relatively self-sufficient in the things that matter. They are a country full of farmers, with a total population of 4M, producing enough food to feed 40M. Also plenty of lumber, fish, wool, etc. Most electric power is hydro-based.
                                • After visiting in 2005, we knew we wanted to be on the South Island. Much more relaxed, not as many issues with Maori (the local indigenous people), lower crime rates, prettier, not as crowded, etc.
                                • Basic living expenses are relatively low: housing, insurance, health, utilities, property taxes. Although some food is cheap, unfortunately most is not. Gasoline is about NZ$1.30/liter.
                                • Nelson is a small town (appx 60,000), but big enough to have its own airport, deep-water shipping port, hospital, etc. Having a port nearby is surprisingly handy.
                                • Nelson promotes itself for the "lifestyle" here. People tend to be very relaxed, not into the rush-rush scene that's so common in the US. Stores often close early, people take frequent and long vacations, etc.
                                • Nelson has a large and active arts and crafts community, which definitely adds local character and charm.
                                • Nelson is within an hour or less of many large farms -- plenty of excellent produce, four large groceries in town, a really great open-air farmer's market every Saturday, etc.
                                • They have a very nice beach right in town, and an amazingly pretty national park (Abel Tasman) about an hour away.
                                • In a beautiful country like NZ, where do many locals like to go on holiday? Nelson. It's a popular vacation spot. We get our share of international tourists, too, particularly in Summer (lots of Germans for some reason). Parking can be bad, but the cash inflow is good for the community.

I would be happy to post photos if there's interest -- although definitely in a new thread (or maybe the NZ-specific posts in this one can be split off?)

Comment

Working...
                                X