Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mexico's largest oil field to die by 12/10- consequences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mexico's largest oil field to die by 12/10- consequences?

Clarion Call from Cantarell

from Gregor.us by Gregor Macdonald

The eighth largest oil field in the world will be dead by the end of next year. Shall I repeat that, or did you get it the first time? Like the Time to Die Speech of Rutger Hauer at the end of Blade Runner, the Cantarell complex has surely seen its share of ocean storms, human hopes, and stars since its discovery by a humble fisherman in 1976. If you’re wondering whether that fisherman has a name, the man who saw oil floating on the surface of the ocean as he gathered his nets, the answer is yes: Rudesindo Cantarell. The days when you could find a supergiant oil field while fishing are over. Cantarell came late, in the oil age. That meant this global giant would receive all the best doctoring modern technology could provide. The result is that Cantarell was pumped out effectively and hard, especially after the technique to re-pressurize the field was adopted. This allowed for a spike high of daily production to be captured for several years, late in its life when a field would otherwise go into gentle decline. The result? Quicker monetization of the oil for the benefit of the Mexican state. But then the price: a catastrophic, fast crash.

Chris Nelder, energy analyst and author of Profit from the Peak, also watches Mexico quite keenly and we both had an enormously long telephone call about Cantarell back in early January, of this year 2009. While we both have been tracking the decline of Mexico’s oil production for years, and knew that Cantarell was crashing, I was shocked when Chris said, “Oh yeah. That field could head below 500 thousand barrels a day (kb/day) by the end of this year.”
    Now, one has to realize that this conversation was occurring just after New Year’s, and the most recently available data was for November, which had closed out just 5 weeks earlier. In that month, Cantarell produced 862 kb/day. In addition, Cantarell had started 2008 with January production of 1243 kb/day. Now let’s look at Cantarell’s production numbers for the most recent month of 2009, in July: 588 kb/day. As someone remarked on The Oil Drum, this looks to be a linear, rather than an exponential decline. Interesting observation. If Cantarell is indeed losing a steady 35 kb/day a month in production, then by Christmas of next year we’ll be close to zero.

I covered the implications of this supply crash in the March issue of my Gregor.us Monthly newsletter, Saga North America: How The North American Oil Crisis Will Force Ottawa, Washington, and Mexico City to Confront One Another As Never Before. In that report, I forecast the next oil crisis will unfold as Mexico loses the ability to export oil, starting sometime in late 2011. However, as so often is the case in this era of peak oil, that forecast now looks optimistic. Mexico will need all they oil they produce for their own economy. But to have an economy, Mexico will also need to solve the problem of another decline: the crash in oil revenues, upon which Mexico has depended for so many decades.

http://gregor.us/
    -----------------------------------------

i ended the title with "consequences?" how about no oil revenues for the mexican state? some domestic problems south of the border? spillover? just askin'.

Re: mexico's largest oil field to die by 12/10- consequences?

In a country where the oil sector accounts for 8-9% of GDP, 35-40% of the public budget, and is responsible for 0.5-1% of employment, it's a big deal. It puts the country at risk of financing future growth. It is also a real concern for the US from a geopolitical+security perspective (what we're seeing in central america due to the recession is increased narco and gang activity in the government, business community and at large - as well as violence) . Will we see an energy induced problem before that date? Plenty of things converging in 2010.

I think Mexico is an important canary in the Peak Cheap Oil mine... or, better said, the situation should be observed for proxies of how things may play out in the future on a global scale.

Mexico is currently deploying a large amount of money to try to "catch-up" for all the years of underinvestment. I suppose they took a lax approach to development when Cantarell was yielding so much with little effort. I anticipate that they'll have to invest close to US$200B over the next 10 years (which is higher than what they've said they need, last time I check US$150B). Hope that Ku‐Maloob‐Zaap and Chicontepec work out for them. Production in Mexico will now require more refining capacity, and thus, be much more costly.
    Last edited by WildspitzE; August 23, 2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Is their future inability to export oil form Canterall the reason behind their slumping currency relative to the dollar?

Comment

Isn't it outrageous that the Natural Resources Defence Foundation in San Francisco, Cal. is trying to stop the development of the tar sands in Alberta? They don't like the carbon-dioxide and the general impact upon the environment.

I see $200 per barrel oil in the next few years, and for many reasons, not just Cantrell running-low on oil. Everything is now falling into place.

The electric cars with windmills on top are going to save us.

And we keep hearing all this talk about armadas of ships filled with oil because there is no place to store oil, blah, blah, blah.....:rolleyes:
        Last edited by Starving Steve; August 23, 2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
          Mexico is currently deploying a large amount of money to try to "catch-up" for all the years of underinvestment. I suppose they took a lax approach to development when Cantarell was yielding so much with little effort. I anticipate that they'll have to invest close to US$200B over the next 10 years (which is higher than what they've said they need, last time I check US$150B). Hope that Ku‐Maloob‐Zaap and Chicontepec work out for them. Production in Mexico will now require more refining capacity, and thus, be much more costly.
          why more refining capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
            why more refining capacity?
            Sorry, meant capabilities (translator in my head malfunctioned)... as in upgrading capability. Ku‐Maloob‐Zaap and Chicontepec is heavier crude than Cantarell.

Comment

I kinda look at this story from two angles:

1.) Hedging Energy(increasing my anxiety in waiting for the iTulip Energy Investment Thesis...it's like watching a pot come to boil )

2.) Geopolitical shock

What impact is this going to have on Mexico and the United States?

Mexico has seen it's energy revenue diminish doubly so(falling energy prices and falling production).

Rising energy prices seem far outweighed by crashed production...so $150 oil is no savior for Mexico.

IF mass investment sees Mexico increase its production again, it surely will not occur for a good number of years...if ever...since Mexico ain't got the money.

With the increase in narco-crime along the Mexican/US border resulting in incidents where Mexican law enforcement have been on the receiving end of multiple contacts/firefights with a dozen or more officers killed or executed per incident we are already in a situation where Mexico could be classified as suffering from an insurgency epidemic.

I would also think wealth disparity in Mexico makes the US look rather egalitarian by comparison.

What other aspects of the Mexican tinderbox need to be sparked for Mexico to be generally classified as a failed state and at serious risk of being visited by a Black Swan?

I'm beginning to think that the US could be facing a rather expensive, complex, and REAL energy and national security crisis on it's Southern border in the short-to-medium term.

I am confident in the iTulip community's collective ability to ascertain #1 with a high degree of accuracy, but not so much on #2.

How will #2 ultimately affect #1?

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Steve View Post
                Isn't it outrageous that the Natural Resources Defence Foundation in San Francisco, Cal. is trying to stop the development of the tar sands in Alberta? They don't like the carbon-dioxide and the general impact upon the environment.

I see $200 per barrel oil in the next few years, and for many reasons, not just Cantrell running-low on oil. Everything is now falling into place.

The electric cars with windmills on top are going to save us.

And we keep hearing all this talk about armadas of ships filled with oil because there is no place to store oil, blah, blah, blah.....:rolleyes:
                The crude oil prospects that Mexico can develop to replace Cantarell follow the same pattern as Canada and other jurisdictions...the quality of the oil is diminishing. Mexico is now drilling some pretty thick stuff. For example near Tampico, on the east coast, Pemex is drilling 700 metre onshore wells for 12 API crude. Pretty decent economics, but it takes a lot of energy to lift, transport and refine this stuff...and with its crude slate moving this way Mexico is likely to remain a natural gas importer.

Comment

We are already seeing narco-trafficing and government corruption in Mexico, America, and Canada, and on an enormous scale. So the seeds of political instability are being planted throughout North America.

Just imagine what a cycle of inflation, or stagflation, could do to this political instability? This might invite another black swan event in the markets........ Yikes!:eek:

Comment

what time is it?

well, its a minute to midnight

the good professor explains it to us:

Comment

More energy expended to produce oil means higher energy costs for oil. Happily, with Alberta's tar sands, there is a tonne of surplus, cheap, natural gas available near-by to cook the tar and to produce up-graded oil. This is probably true in Mexico as well, where surplus nat. gas might cook heavy oil (bitumen) and convert it to light sweet oil.

Mankind will solve its energy problems for the future, if only the obstructionists in the environmental movement and in government would get out of the way.

The entire continent of North America appears to be floating on pools of natural gas. In fact, a natural gas pool was just discovered in the St. Lawrence River at Montreal.

Comment

Meanwhile, lead editorial in today's NYTimes,

‘Peak Oil’ Is a Waste of Energy

Michael Lynch says there's plenty of oil and it going back to 30 dollars a barrel.

cause lower quality of oil is being offset by better technology.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/op...gewanted=print

Comment

And then there's Kunstler...

"The architects are completely uninterested in the one thing that really is "green" - traditional urban design - and most particularly the walkable neighborhood........

All we really care about is finding some miracle method to keep all the cars running."

http://kunstler.com/blog/2009/08/fin...-off.html#more

Comment

It took a year of discussions and banters to decide about building a new refinery in Tula, around 90-100 km northwest of Mexico City. It wont give a physical output until 2012-13.

Politically, the opinions from many of the newly elected deputies is about reopen abandoned fields (as if they were abandoned without reason) and urging about the exploitation of deep sea deposits.

IMHO, the mot concerning situation about the Oil Industry issue here in Mexico is about the workers and syndicate. The amount of money that Pemex has to give annually to the syndicate, according to the collective work contract, has maintained empty the coffers for future expansion and investment for decades. The pension system is emptying the ability to cover operative expenses. There is a possibility that the whole mexican population may have to pay both salaries an pensions of Oil workers after Pemex stops to generate enough revenues to cover either, since they are government workers and it won't be easy to lay off them without an agreement with the syndicate.

About natgas, the issue is that it is also a Pemex issue, and it suffers the same backlogs of Oil industry.
                            sigpic
                            Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

Originally posted by ocelotl View Post
                              IMHO, the mot concerning situation about the Oil Industry issue here in Mexico is about the workers and syndicate. The amount of money that Pemex has to give annually to the syndicate, according to the collective work contract, has maintained empty the coffers for future expansion and investment for decades. The pension system is emptying the ability to cover operative expenses. There is a possibility that the whole mexican population may have to pay both salaries an pensions of Oil workers after Pemex stops to generate enough revenues to cover either, since they are government workers and it won't be easy to lay off them without an agreement with the syndicate.
                              Thanks for this color ocelotl. I've been trying to reconcile where they are going to get the bucks for all this investment without materially adversly affecting their currency AND not changing the constitition re: private capital. This info just throws in more negative factors into the equation.

Comment

Working...
                              X