X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929: jk galbraith via mamis via fleckenstein

from bill fleckenstein's column:

A Collapsed Soufflé, the 1929 Way

Turning to my expectations for the stock market, I have made no secret of my belief that we will see a dislocation at some point. I've been wrong as to when it might occur. Nevertheless, I feel more strongly than ever that given the speculative edifices erected on top of so much dept and so much disregard for risk, this scenario can only end in a dislocation.

Thus, I thought it quite interesting that Justin Mamis, in his weekly letter and conference call today, started talking about the parallels between 1929 and now. This is a new analogy for Justin -- one that I've never heard him make in the 15 or so years that I have read his service. In any case, he likened the big investment trusts that were constantly being floated back then to today's private-equity funds. (Justin noted that he'll have more to say about these parallels in the coming weeks.) Also, I thought that extracts he shared from John Kenneth Galbraith's book "Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went" were particularly interesting:
    "Prosperity began to fade in early 1929, although the public did not begin to realize it until after the sensational stock-market crash in October." I would make the argument that our economy began to weaken last summer -- which, of course, has been ignored thus far.

Whole Lotta Sowing Going On

Galbraith noted how much the problem was the responsibility of the Fed: "The underwriting of securities in the 1920s was extensively financed by the commercial banks. . . . The speculative purchases of securities by individuals was similarly financed. . . . Much of this, in anticipation of gains, was done on margin. . . . The commercial banks that were lending money for these operations were, in turn, borrowing substantially from the Federal Reserve. Thus, the Federal Reserve system was helping to finance the great stock-market boom. It would be wrong to say that it was the cause; men and women do not speculate just because they have the money to do so. But the Federal Reserve system did nourish the speculation, and did not stop it."

Galbraith's comparisons with today are so obvious as to need no further editorializing. What I would say, however, is that the Fed is the cause -- because without the wherewithal and the belief in the Greenspan/Bernanke "put," speculation wouldn't have gotten as far as it has. So, while Galbraith is slightly inclined to let the Fed off the hook for the 1920s, I'd be more inclined to say that it's the primary culprit.

No Dodging This Bull-et

On the other hand, the fact that speculation is once again a national pastime -- after the last stock mania -- means that when this current one unwinds, today's speculators will have no one to blame but themselves. Sadly, the people most in line for hurt are those just trying to make ends meet, but who, through no fault of their own, will be caught in the crosshairs of this manic paper-shuffling.

Re: 1929: jk galbraith via mamis via fleckenstein

cool! fleck's been reading itulip! ej's interview of james galbraith is the first reference i've ever seen to the collapsed soufflé idea...

"When a housing market pops, the result is more like a soufflé than a bubble."

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654

...his dad's book "Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went" is the itulip bible that ej quotes often, and ej has made frequent comparisons between the investment trusts of the 1920s to the hedge fund bubble today. from the itulip glossary...

http://www.itulip.com/glossary.htm#USIP

USIP : n. (Janszen 2006) 1. acronym for Unregulated Speculative Investment Pool, a term created for iTulip readers to distinguish between traditional hedge funds and the newer breed of "hedge funds" that are in fact not hedge funds at all. Hedge funds do still exist, but many of the funds that are referred to as hedge funds are in fact USIPs. 2. the modern equivalent of the Investment Trust, popular in the 1920s, with respect to exclusivity, lack of transparency, lack of regulation, dependence on leverage, and systemic risks posed.

"We have seen security prices soar out of sight of earnings, brokers' loans swell till they absorb a third of the banking resources of the country, and the blind pools of ancient days return and multiply by endless crossing and pyramiding as the investment trusts of today. Banks merge and emerge in chains, trailing trusts and holding companies, while industrial corporations pay dividends not by producing goods but by buying each others' stocks and by borrowing and lending everybody's money in the market. But of all these things can anyone say with surety what they signify, whether they are safe and sound, or what they are leading to? We do not even know, or cannot agree, whether inflation exists, what it means, or how it shall be measured.

Business Week - September 7, 1929

Detail: A hedge fund gets its name from the strategy of taking a long position in one asset and a position in another that has a negative value correlation. As a result, the downside risk of losses from a decline in the value of the long position is limited or "hedged," thus the term "hedge fund." The upside potential of the long position is also limited by the "hedge" position, because when one is going up in value the other is going down. How can you make money, you might ask, if one is usually losing value while the other is gaining, won't they just cancel each other out? The way hedge funds make money is off the fact that, if the positions–and there may be many more than two involved–are correctly modeled and the value of the long position goes the way the hedge fund manager believes is probable, the value of the long position rises more than the value of the hedge, and the difference is a positive return.

A USIP, on the other hand, is rarely truly hedged. That's because the investors in these funds are looking to make lots of money, not modest spreads on the difference between long and short positions. USIPs are, in fact, merely long. Period. USIPs can have high returns than hedge funds, but at the price of higher risk. That's the good USIPs. Bad USIPs are the worst of both worlds, high risk and low returns. Not only are they long and un-hedged, but they may also be using lots of leverage, that is, money borrowed from banks, using the funds' capital as collateral. Thus when they fund manager bets the wrong way... boom! See also hedge fund.

Comment

Working...
    X