The Federal Reserve System Is Even More Screwed Up Than You Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Federal Reserve System Is Even More Screwed Up Than You Thought

A recent Mish post discussing the question of whether the Fed "pumps" money into the economy contains some provocative wisdom on interest rate-setting from Minyanville "professor" Reamer:

There is another operational element here that very few folks appreciate and it is this: In setting the fed funds target rate and defending it, the Fed's open market operations take the form of either pumping liquidity into or out of the banking system (via Fed Funds) in an effort to keep the target rate at (for now) 5.25%.

Let's say that economic activity is heating up; there is more manufacturing activity, more employment, more lending by banks and as a result of all of those, more demand for short term monies by commercial banks. Bank lending activity goes up and their demand for short term money (the cost of which is set by the Fed) increases commensurate with their need to keep capital/coverage ratios at whatever bare minimum regulations demand they be. So, net/net greater economic activity implies more money demand by commercial banks. If money demand by commercial banks increased, in the absence of the Fed, we would see the 'cost' of the money (the interest rate) do what?

Like all goods, when the demand for something goes up, the price increases in the short run. So in the case of short term (Fed) funds, increased economic activity generates greater demand for short term funds by commercial banks and that increases the cost of those monies -- increases the interest rate of these monies. But the rate -- cost -- of Fed Funds is 5.25% and the good boys at the NY Fed have pledged that it will defend the FOMC's Fed Funds target -- neither letting it rise nor fall. But if increased economic activity is driving up the Fed Funds rate, then the Fed must increase the supply of credit in an attempt to keep the rate at 5.25%. This is of course a basic law of economics: in the face of increased demand, prices rise. The only thing that can keep prices the SAME would be an immediate increase in supply. And that is what the NY Fed does when economic activity increases -- they increase the supply of monies in the system (via repos and other means) in order to defend that Fed Funds target.

More interesting than that is what happens when economic decreases. The opposite situation arrives: when economic activity decreases the demand from commercial banks for short term funds decreases and thus the price (rate) falls. In order to maintain and defend that fed funds target in a scenario where economic activity is decreasing and lending activity is slowing, the Fed has to decrease the supply of monies available to the system. Thus, the Fed will be taking money from the system once economic activity decreases unless and until they change the Fed Funds rate target.

That period of time between a slowdown in economic activity and an eventual decrease in the Fed Funds rate can take months or quarters. If the size and severity of the misallocation of investments in the economy are significant, that period where the NY Fed open market desk is defending the FOMC's rate by decreasing monies in the system, need not be lengthy at all to create the kind of tightening of monies that is so anathema to a credit-driven, asset-based economy. A few months of taking money out of the system in order to defend a Fed funds target is all that is theoretically needed to create the type of tail event that we believe it highly probable in the credit and stock markets, not to mention the real economy.

The conditions of decreasing economic activity are present; the malinvestments are both huge and pervasive; the Fed could easily start to take money out of the system to keep the Fed Funds rate at 5.25%; and commercial bank lending declined last week more than it has at any time since February 1960. Those are the conditions -- sufficient but perhaps necessary -- for a credit-based contagion event. And few times in history have markets been implying the odds of this are so low.

I had realized that the Fed's "targetting" of interest rates by literally setting them directly -- money supply be damned -- was incredibly bad. It is simply fiat policy at its extreme; almost as bad as FDR setting the price of gold for international buyers arbitrarily in the Depression. It is the antithesis of free markets, contrary to the pervasive free market rhetoric of people like Greenspan. But I hadn't realized the full ramifications of just how incredibly broken this rate-maintenance system is: until the Fed makes a rate change, the forcing of a constant funds rate actually exacerbates both expansionary speculation and deflationary collapse (depending on whether the policy rate is above or below equilibrium). Way to go, Fed.

This is not how the Fed system has always worked. In the Volcker era, money supply was targetted. The Fed attempted to reach a desired interest rate indirectly by adjusting the money supply -- and the result was naturally imperfect, as the interest rate emerged from a combination of money supply and money demand. It wasn't until Mr. Bubble took over in '87 that the money supply method was abandoned and today's "direct fiat rate" was implemented. You can see this quite clearly on the funds rate charts, where the graph transforms abruptly from organic and jagged to mechanically-stepwise:

This may have looked like quite a miracle brought forth by Greenspan. But all that has happened is that the imperfections inherent in reaching an interest rate through real-world money supply and demand have been replaced with accelerating fluctuations in money supply. All those pre-1987 jagged events, where a funds rate target met rapidly-shifting real-world demand conditions, now surface instead in harder-to-see deflationary and asset-inflationary shocks.

To extend the puzzle and provide a bit more detail, take a look at the following chart of the effective daily Federal Funds rate, gleaned from Economagic:

What is interesting about this chart is that we see some level of daily fluctuations remained -- even under Greenspan -- until about 2000. Then almost all of the fluctuations disappeared. I am not quite sure what happened here to effect this, but it appears significant. And given the above points, the elimination of this volatility means the spillover into credit instability must be even worse than it used to be.

This all goes a long way to explaining the finance world's tunnel vision on what the Fed does. Until the Fed makes a rate change, they are causing spiralling deflation or asset inflation, depending on whether the funds rate is above or below equilibrium.

In effect, the Fed under Greenspan implemented a dynamically unstable monetary system, outright (it's unstable in other ways I've discussed before as well). In this system, when the Fed isn't adjusting the interest rate, they're destabilizing the economy. It is essentially impossible under this system for there to be any sort of stability: it is a mathematical certainty that chaos will be produced. The only saving grace for the Fed is that this chaos is not glaringly obvious at the surface. Or at least, it isn't obviously attributable to them.

So Greenspan's "genius" was actually to subvert some of the core problems in the monetary system -- in the process, unfortunately, making them worse.

A parting question for iTulip readers: Is anyone else bothered by the fact that dramatic changes in what the Fed does seem to take place with alarming frequency without them publicly telling anyone -- in advance, if at all? Or better yet: asking. Asking would be nice.

Oops -- guess I forgot that the Federal Reserve isn't actually Federal (nevermind the point that it doesn't "reserve" much of anything), and that its clients are the major banks, not the public. Silly me...

This article was originally posted on autoDogmatic.

Re: The Federal Reserve System Is Even More Screwed Up Than You Thought

The thought just occurred to me that if I end up living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I know exactly who to appoint as Fed chairman. (Assuming I didn't have the political backing to abolish it.)

Does this stuff even get taught in economics and business classes in colleges? It seems as though the Fed exists and runs as it does because of the ignorance of almost everyone in this country at what it really is.

re: the title of this thread. I didn't think it was possible. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Comment

Good points all, nicely done... and it's likely even worse than you currently believe too.

Originally posted by akrowne
      What is interesting about this chart is that we see some level of daily fluctuations remained -- even under Greenspan -- until about 2000. Then almost all of the fluctuations disappeared. I am not quite sure what happened here to effect this, but it appears significant. And given the above points, the elimination of this volatility means the spillover into credit instability must be even worse than it used to be.
      I urge you to research the Securities Lending portion of Fed and FOMC activities - most of the answer is there.
      http://www.ny.frb.org/markets/seclend/sec_lendop.cfm

A parting question for iTulip readers: Is anyone else bothered by the fact that dramatic changes in what the Fed does seem to take place with alarming frequency without them publicly telling anyone -- in advance, if at all? Or better yet: asking. Asking would be nice.
      Truth... but much of the data is actually public, albeit buried amongst lots of other "stuff".
      http://www.nowandfutures.com/grins/oz_curtain.wav
      Last edited by bart; April 04, 2007, 12:54 PM.
      http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by DemonD
        The thought just occurred to me that if I end up living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I know exactly who to appoint as Fed chairman. (Assuming I didn't have the political backing to abolish it.)

Does this stuff even get taught in economics and business classes in colleges? It seems as though the Fed exists and runs as it does because of the ignorance of almost everyone in this country at what it really is.

re: the title of this thread. I didn't think it was possible. Thanks for proving me wrong.

We dont teach truth to sheep; it does little good. Now please dont disturb me any more I have to get back to watching NASCAR :cool: Thinking hurts too much
        I one day will run with the big dogs in the world currency markets, and stick it to the man

Comment

Originally posted by bart
          I urge you to research the Securities Lending portion of Fed and FOMC activities - most of the answer is there.
          Thanks for the pointer. I suspected relevant things were indeed published somewhere. In fact I probably read that before, but the full implications didn't hit me through all the usual opaque presentation (if I even knew enough at the time to understand the right part when I saw it).

At any rate, I'll definitely have to give this a close reading as soon as I can.

One of my myriad realizations of late is that almost all the incriminating information you can think of is out there and publicly available -- the strategy of the Powers That Be seems to be more one of minimizing the impact of "truth leakage".

Gradually peeling back the onion-layers...

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. I suspected relevant things were indeed published somewhere. In fact I probably read that before, but the full implications didn't hit me through all the usual opaque presentation (if I even knew enough at the time to understand the right part when I saw it).

At any rate, I'll definitely have to give this a close reading as soon as I can.

One of my myriad realizations of late is that almost all the incriminating information you can think of is out there and publicly available -- the strategy of the Powers That Be seems to be more one of minimizing the impact of "truth leakage".

Gradually peeling back the onion-layers...

It sounds like we're tracking very well... fair dinkum scary it is too... ;)

Out of all the possibilities I could think of when I started my research years ago, one of the least likely was that much of the "incriminating" data is actually public. It still somewhat astounds me as I run into more elements, the most recent one that I've made public being the ECB gold "transactions" and the ultra high correlations to the actual gold price movements.

I imagine your forays into the mortgage implosion area (major kudos, and great job!) applies here too.

Agreed too on minimizing the impact of "truth leakage" and general spin control, with the addition that many of them do actually believe in Keynesianism and other less savory big chunks of false data. It's mostly not a smoke filled back room conspiracy situation but rather a conspiracy in the sense of: "A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas."

Comment

What is interesting about this chart is that we see some level of daily fluctuations remained -- even under Greenspan -- until about 2000. Then almost all of the fluctuations disappeared. I am not quite sure what happened here to effect this, but it appears significant.

http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/e...nn.html#chart2

Findings
              Bennett and Peristiani document the diminishing force of reserve requirements, observing that these requirements are "no longer . . . as important a constraint on banks' holdings of assets that qualify as reserves." Banks now appear to be managing their cash inventories less to comply with regulatory minimums than to meet business needs. More specifically, banks appear to be actively regulating their inventories to respond to changes in customer demand and the opportunity costs of holding cash.

The authors conclude their analysis by suggesting that a reassessment of U.S. reserve requirements may be in order. With banks becoming increasingly adept at managing their vault cash and Fed account balances to achieve competitive returns, reserve requirements that rely on pricing incentives might be a sensible alternative to the current system.

http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/e...1/0205benn.pdf
              See charts in linked article. See how the banks are managing their vault cash vs. their clearing balances and excess reserves.
              Last edited by Sapiens; April 09, 2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapiens
                http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/e...nn.html#chart2

http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/e...1/0205benn.pdf
                See charts in linked article. See how the banks are managing their vault cash vs. their clearing balances and excess reserves.
                True. The sweeps program started in 1995, but is much smaller than the SecLend operations.

Sweeps are part of the Austrian definition of money supply too.

Comment

Originally posted by akrowne View Post
                  In effect, the Fed under Greenspan implemented a dynamically unstable monetary system, outright (it's unstable in other ways I've discussed before as well). In this system, when the Fed isn't adjusting the interest rate, they're destabilizing the economy. It is essentially impossible under this system for there to be any sort of stability: it is a mathematical certainty that chaos will be produced. The only saving grace for the Fed is that this chaos is not glaringly obvious at the surface. Or at least, it isn't obviously attributable to them.
                  With respect, I don't think this conclusion follows. The (technical) question you pose should be, is the system closed-loop stable? Ie is the system stable including the actions of the fed, changing the target rate? Basically I am saying we should consider the fed as the control in part of the following diagram

where the fed wishes some variable (inflation) to follow a reference value (e.g. 2% in the UK).

What you have shown is that the system is unstable given a particular target rate ('system input'). The fed however changes the target rate. The actions of the fed may or may not bring closed loop stability, but unless we know the rule the fed uses to choose the rate we cannot tell.

If we assume the Taylor rule then we can consider the target rate as proportional feedback with a phase (time) lag. This may improve the situation or make it worse depending on the lag. We would have to look at empirical evidence (which I would agree would seem to indicate they aggravate the situation)

Alternatively, as you & Lee Adler like to point out, the fed merely follows the effective fed funds in setting the target rate, in which case the policy rate is an artifice anyway.

Control theory offers more sophisticated types of feedback rule that can work in the presence of model uncertainty, noise etc. Discussions I hear between economists would indicate that they are not aware of this yet unfortunately. Or indeed, interested in anything not originated within the economics profession.

Also, saying that the natural state of affairs is stable is an assumption based on a simple theory, not based of empirical evidence. It would seem to ignore the work of Minsky, Marx, Steve Keen etc.
                  It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

Working...
                  X