X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Times: Fed picks EJ's kind of debt deflation

from randall forsyth's column in barron's online today:

Originally posted by randall forsyth
    In Thursday's edition of the Financial Times, the lead story declares: "The U.S. will avoid a serious slump similar to the Japanese recession in 1990s because U.S. policy makers will do whatever it takes to avert such an outcome, the Federal Reserve believes."

Let us agree at the outset that nothing happens for no reason. Then consider this extraordinary sentence from my perspective, one with 35 years in financial journalism as a reporter and an editor.

This is an extraordinary assertion, that America will avoid a prolonged recession comparable to what Japan experienced in the last decade, and indeed continues to be mired in. Moreover, U.S. policy makers will take any and all steps to prevent that outcome.

Firstly, the FT declares that U.S. economic policy makers have decided what is the clear and present danger facing the American economy—a debt deflation similar to what beset Japan in the previous decade. (Debt deflation occurs when liquidation of declining assets to meet debt obligations creates a vicious circle of price declines.)

That is remarkable because as readers take this in, the dollar continued its slide, to below 100 yen to the dollar; oil continued to soar, to over $110 for a barrel of crude; and gold commanded $1,000 an ounce, if only for a short time. There is a clear fork in the road for the economy—between rising prices of tradable goods and a falling value of the dollar, and the asset-price deflation being felt in American homes. And as Yogi Berra advised, when you reach that fork in the road, take it. And the Fed has opted for the latter, to focus on the falling prices of Americans' major asset, the Britsh paper claims.

Even more remarkable is that the FT offers no substantiation about the source of the knowledge about the Fed's purported belief.

There are no references to "sources close to the Fed" or "people familiar with the Fed's thinking." Indeed, the story was, to use the current argot of turning noun into a verb, poorly sourced.

So much so, in fact, that I do not doubt its veracity for a moment.

As an editor, I would never let a story run were I not fully confident in the reporter's sources on the story. As a reporter, I can't imagine getting my story past an editor without convincing her or him that it was solid in its sources, even if they weren't named.

Finally, as an editor, I can't imagine running a story that purports to reveal the Fed's thinking, without citing a source, as the leader on page one were I not fully confident about its veracity in its facts, and also in its interpretation of those facts?.

Indeed, from the standpoint of an editor and a reporter, I can only infer the facts of the FT story were indeed correct or else it would not have run in the form it did, lacking the most rudimentary citation of sources for its assertion. After all, the story did not run under the byline of Jayson Blair; neither was it in a newspaper known for playing fast and loose with the facts.

The key conclusion to be taken away is that the Fed sees its No. 1 problem as debt deflation and will pull out all the stops to counter it. Whether you agree or not, that's apparently the way it is. And the Bear Stearns bailout bears this out.
    [emphasis added-jk]

translating this to itulip terms, the ft is reporting that the fed prefers ej's kind of debt deflation to mish's kind of debt deflation. and it will do whatever is necessary toward that end.

Re: Financial Times: Fed picks EJ's kind of debt deflation

Originally posted by jk View Post
    from randall forsyth's column in barron's online today:

[emphasis added-jk]

translating this to itulip terms, the ft is reporting that the fed prefers ej's kind of debt deflation to mish's kind of debt deflation. and it will do whatever is necessary toward that end.
    We're all Ka-Poomers now.
    Ed.

Comment

Fred, any insight into why the market only tanked 200 points today? Shouldn't this have been viewed as catasrotphic news? Or is the market convinced the Fed will cure all ills?

Comment

Originally posted by ax View Post
        Fred, any insight into why the market only tanked 200 points today? Shouldn't this have been viewed as catasrotphic news? Or is the market convinced the Fed will cure all ills?
        The belief that the situation is under control, or at least that it can be brought under control, still dominates in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Look for EJ's Quick Comment next week "Denial Springs Eternal" where we go into earlier episodes of denial and review the concept of the Desperate Optimism of the Invested.
        Ed.

Comment

When you look at historical events it's easy to say "what were they thinking? Ah, well...hindsight is 20-20."

Watching events in real time that you know people will look back at and say "what were they thinking?" is very odd. Foresight's not supposed to be 20-20.

Yet the path ahead seems lighted in Times Square-sized neon, and the participants in the middle of it seem mostly oblivious.

Is the size of the eventual fall related to how long it takes for the people at its heart to realize what's really happening?

Comment

Originally posted by ax View Post
            Geez, you know, at some point stocks have to start going up just based on inflation alone..

Comment

to be completely fair, Mish has not written (that I've read) that the FED will do nothing.

What I've read from Mish is that the FED will TRY but cannot succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                to be completely fair, Mish has not written (that I've read) that the FED will do nothing.

What I've read from Mish is that the FED will TRY but cannot succeed.
                true. and the fact that the fed has made clear it prefers ej's brand does not guarantee that they'll succeed. in fact, accommodative monetary policy alone is necessary but not sufficient. fiscal measures far beyond the bush stimulus helicopter drop will be required. the next president and congress will have to crank up infrastructure construction and repair, and "energy security," and a greening of the economy in order to spend enough and rack up enough debt to pump up the economy. otherwise, we might indeed see a mish smash.

Comment

true. and the fact that the fed has made clear it prefers ej's brand does not guarantee that they'll succeed. in fact, accommodative monetary policy alone is necessary but not sufficient. fiscal measures far beyond the bush stimulus helicopter drop will be required. the next president and congress will have to crank up infrastructure construction and repair, and "energy security," and a greening of the economy in order to spend enough and rack up enough debt to pump up the economy. otherwise, we might indeed see a mish smash.

I am starting to wonder if even that will be enough. Patching up the 50-60 year old interstate system, replacing bits of the electrical grid, and running a few cellulosic ethyl-alcohol stills seem a rather anaemic prescription to resart the world's biggest economy.

Further, I would imagine the assets of most interest to the SWFs will be those that export to non-US customers, not those enterprises dependent on the domestic US consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker View Post
                    Geez, you know, at some point stocks have to start going up just based on inflation alone..
                    The last period of high and rising inflation was the 1970's. Have a look at how the Dow performed during that decade, and maybe you'll change your mind about whether stocks "have to start going up"...

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                      I am starting to wonder if even that will be enough. Patching up the 50-60 year old interstate system, replacing bits of the electrical grid, and running a few cellulosic ethyl-alcohol stills seem a rather anaemic prescription to resart the world's biggest economy.

Further, I would imagine the assets of most interest to the SWFs will be those that export to non-US customers, not those enterprises dependent on the domestic US consumer.
                      there's a road running in front of every house [and - more importantly- in every congressional district] in america. there are [insert big number here] bridges and tunnels, the electrical transmission system has to be upgraded to provide "cleaner" current, generating facilities need to be built or made cleaner, wind turbines and solar farms built and the transmission lines put in place to utlize them, buildings retrofitted with more efficient heating and cooling systems, energy storage technology developed to smooth utlilization and eliminate the stress of demand peaks, and so on. we are a creative people, and if there's one thing we can especially creative about, it's finding ways to spend money.

as for foreign investors, there will be opportunities in technology development with equity rewards in the promulgation of more efficient widgets, and in infrastructure with income rewards from the payment of tolls and user fees.

sorry for going off topic. [there are numerous threads on this discussion topic.] anyway, with the right administration and congress, i'm sure the money will be printed and borrowed and spent.

Comment

there's a road running in front of every house [and - more importantly- in every congressional district] in america. there are [insert big number here] bridges and tunnels, the electrical transmission system has to be upgraded to provide "cleaner" current, generating facilities need to be built or made cleaner, wind turbines and solar farms built and the transmission lines put in place to utlize them, buildings retrofitted with more efficient heating and cooling systems, energy storage technology developed to smooth utlilization and eliminate the stress of demand peaks, and so on. we are a creative people, and if there's one thing we can especially creative about, it's finding ways to spend money.

as for foreign investors, there will be opportunities in technology development with equity rewards in the promulgation of more efficient widgets, and in infrastructure with income rewards from the payment of tolls and user fees.
                        There are so few places to left to build a new bridge in the USA Congress apparently feels it necessary to authorize bridges in outlier states that go "nowhere". The existing bridges and tunnels are not in the bad shape the media and politicians claim - the Minnesota bridge had the wrong gusset size in the original construction which compromised the factor of safety. If bridges and tunnels were that badly maintained you wouldn't drive on them. The NIMBY's will slow wind farms and new transmission lines to a crawl. And who wants to waste money upgrading an older home, when there's a huge supply of ever-cheaper new housing built to current code?

Foreign investors want to buy your mines and ports, not your technology research labs. We'll see how well the USA P3 sector, with its foundation of replacing corroded kit, competes for cash against the developing world's P3 opportunities, most of which are based on new build in a region/country that is not serviced at all right now.

Comment

There are so few places to left to build a new bridge in the USA Congress apparently feels it necessary to authorize bridges in outlier states that go "nowhere". The existing bridges and tunnels are not in the bad shape the media and politicians claim - the Minnesota bridge had the wrong gusset size in the original construction which compromised the factor of safety. If bridges and tunnels were that badly maintained you wouldn't drive on them. The NIMBY's will slow wind farms and new transmission lines to a crawl. And who wants to waste money upgrading an older home, when there's a huge supply of ever-cheaper new housing built to current code?

Foreign investors want to buy your mines and ports, not your technology research labs. We'll see how well the USA P3 sector, with its foundation of replacing corroded kit, competes for cash against the developing world's P3 opportunities, most of which are based on new build in a region/country that is not serviced at all right now.
                          i think our infrastructure is in worse shape than you think. the tunnels that bring water to nyc, for example, are on a schedule that means the whole system is replaced/maintained every 500 years. the mianus river bridge on interstate rt 95 collapsed about 20 years ago. some of the best locations for wind farms and solar are in desert- the main obstacle is the lack of transmission lines. it's nobody's back yard. as for p3 - we'll see. although the living standards in the u.s. are not as high as they used to be relative to the rest of the world, this is still a wealthy country that will likely afford and pay higher tolls and user fees on its facilities than can be charged in the developing world. there are trade-offs. but what else are you going to do with the billions and billions of u.s. dollars you hold as a surplus country?

Comment

Foreign investors want to buy your mines
                            Correct, and if we are to build infrastructure steel will be in high demand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesabi_Range

A lot of recent activity on the iron range,
                            one example: http://www.minnesotasteel.com/index.asp?cookies=True
                            part of the Essar Group http://www.essar.com/
                            Last edited by bill; March 15, 2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
                              Correct, and if we are to build infrastructure steel will be in high demand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesabi_Range

A lot of recent activity on the iron range,
                              one example: http://www.minnesotasteel.com/index.asp?cookies=True
                              part of the Essar Group http://www.essar.com/
                              Thanks bill. I am quite familiar with India's Essar Group as they have significant petroleum refining interests as well, but was unaware that they were making such large investments in the USA.

The electric arc furnaces will require a lot of windmills, jk.

Point I was trying to make is the economic leverage that a country like India can get from each dollar of infrastructure investment is greater than what the USA will achieve repairing its creaking and crumbling facilities. It is this economic leverage value that ultimately sets the value of the investment and the tolls/fees that can be derived from it. A replacement water supply project that generates marginal economic value will ultimately have to be paid for by taxpayers in their utility bills (taking money away from other consumption), not from the material national economic impact of villages where every family no longer has to devote a great deal of time and labour to the daily task of hauling water from a distant well.

To the degree that the USA builds something new, such as a bridge in Alaska that goes nowhere, it simply does not contribute to economic competitiveness. And it would not surprise me in the least to find a substantial portion of the output of the Essar mill is ultimately exported.

However, the very fact Essar is contemplating such a mine and mill demonstrates what I have been banging on about - the declining US$, combined with factors like "rule of law" and a productive and creative workforce, are making the USA the preferred source for more and more raw material and manufactured goods for the rest of the world. It is now cheaper to mine copper in Arizona or gold in Nevada, than most international alternatives - and such mines are unlikely to be confiscated by government. It will be a slow process, but it is already well underway.
                              Last edited by GRG55; March 16, 2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X